Raspberry Pi CPU Integration

Jesta1989

TDI
Vw Golf 2004 Mk5 GTTDI 140 BKD
Mate if someone could 3D print me one I’d be grateful but I don’t have the tools at my disposal I do however have a measuring tape lol

Jesta1989

TDI
Pioneer sph da130bt is my head unit if anyone can find a better facia please link me

Slwburn

TDI
allroad BHW
So I managed to put windows 10 on my pi with minimal issues and vcds works fine I just have to tweak the display settings a bit and over size the apps as otherwise it is to small to view on my head unit.

Any chance you did a write up on your build or can share links for the windows and then VCDS install? I like this vs installing a bunch of additional gauges.

Jesta1989

TDI
Any chance you did a write up on your build or can share links for the windows and then VCDS install? I like this vs installing a bunch of additional gauges.
Mate sorry I wish I had written it up took a lot of research to get windows to run correctly on the pi and since newer generation pi is out probs better spec. I just googled how to install windows ten on raspberry pi and read through the different results until I found a working one and the wiring is pretty basic VCDS needs plugging in like usual I used usb of stereo to power the pi and was told that’s risky due to common ground issues never effected me but over time it may cause issues.
Other ways suggested may be better I.e. tablet mounted in dash or arduino or small desktop.

TDI
1.6, 2.0 and 3.0 l
Recently I was turned onto the Raspberry Pi simple CPU concept and I immediately wondered if it could be reliably wired into a TDI? A few questions came up...

Is there a safe power solution for a permanent installation?

Could it be directly interfaced to the same VAGCOM port that VCDS uses but instead to the GPIO ports on the Pi, without a special converter cable?

Could VCDS run directly on the Pi, either with the Win Mobile OS or a raspian distro?

With a touch screen LCD would this be a slick "always on" VCDS integration for a ALH?

Or... is there an open source (free) tool that does what VCDS does?

Is it possible for the Pi to replace the ECU? I know... crazy talk but...

Anyone messed with these concepts?
-‐---‐--------------------------------------------------------
Ok. Now that we can have Windows 10 or 11 on a Raspberry Pi 5 without any drama, can someone help me with my project? I'm thinking about having a Pi 5 + PiCAN hat + VCDS on-board on my vehicles so, I can scan them remotely ( I will have a mobile internet as well) . I want to use the same VCDS license on all my vehicles. I don't want to pay another VCDS licence and dongle.

TurboABA

Top Post Dawg
TDI
RIP-2010 Jetta 6spd 2014 Touareg Execline
-‐---‐--------------------------------------------------------
Ok. Now that we can have Windows 10 or 11 on a Raspberry Pi 5 without any drama, can someone help me with my project? I'm thinking about having a Pi 5 + PiCAN hat + VCDS on-board on my vehicles so, I can scan them remotely ( I will have a mobile internet as well) . I want to use the same VCDS license on all my vehicles. I don't want to pay another VCDS licence and dongle.
Huh? What VCDS do you have? Even if you have a VIN limit that you've reached, you can scan 100 different other vehicles with it.... things like scans are NOT vin restricted or anything.

TDI
1.6, 2.0 and 3.0 l
Huh? What VCDS do you have? Even if you have a VIN limit that you've reached, you can scan 100 different other vehicles with it.... things like scans are NOT vin restricted or anything.
Hi TurboABA. I believe I wasn't very clear on my post or you didn't spend the time to read it carefully. I have a fleet of VAG ( Volkswagen and Audi ) cars, around 8 cars now. My plan is to have a GPS + Scan tool on board on each car so, I can monitor the health of each of them remotely. Both scan tool software I use, VCDS is one of them, requires a Windows System. I think the Pi 5 is the best way to go right now. As I have the unlimited VIN VCDS licence, I'd like to use this licence to have VCDS installed on a P1 5 in each car so, I can diagnostic the cars remotely. I hope it's clear now.

J_dude

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 1.9l “Jedi”
Hi TurboABA. I believe I wasn't very clear on my post or you didn't spend the time to read it carefully. I have a fleet of VAG ( Volkswagen and Audi ) cars, around 8 cars now. My plan is to have a GPS + Scan tool on board on each car so, I can monitor the health of each of them remotely. Both scan tool software I use, VCDS is one of them, requires a Windows System. I think the Pi 5 is the best way to go right now. As I have the unlimited VIN VCDS licence, I'd like to use this licence to have VCDS installed on a P1 5 in each car so, I can diagnostic the cars remotely. I hope it's clear now.
I'm sure you realize, you can download as many copies of VCDS onto as many devices you want, the license is only in the cable.

TDI
1.6, 2.0 and 3.0 l
I'm sure you realize, you can download as many copies of VCDS onto as many devices you want, the license is only in the cable.
‐---‐-----------------------------------------------------------
That's exactly right. I just need to make it work by getting the data through the CAN network into VCDS installed in the Raspberry Pi to read the vehicle's Control Units. Anyone here to help me with this?

Vince Waldon

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 ALH Jetta, 2003 ALH Wagon, 2005 BEW Wagon
I'd suggest eating this elephant one bite at time: track down a single Pi 5 and see if you can get a single copy of VCDS working on it.

As I understand it, the ARM version of Windows some people have gotten running on a Pi 5 is pretty alpha, not entirely functional, and may or may not be compatible with VCDS... good to find out now. :)

Next in my mind would be a phone call to Ross-Tech to see what the licensing requirements are... if you're hoping to use your single dongle (the license) across multiple copies of VCDS. Can't see how that would work, personally, but they will know.

EDIT: having re-read what I just wrote it might make even more sense to reverse the order of the above suggestions.

P2B

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Jetta, 2003 Jetta, 2003 Jetta Wagon
Next in my mind would be a phone call to Ross-Tech to see what the licensing requirements are... if you're hoping to use your single dongle (the license) across multiple copies of VCDS. Can't see how that would work, personally, but they will know.
Pretty sure Ross Tech put the license in the dongle to prevent it from being used on multiple cars simultaneously.

TDI
1.6, 2.0 and 3.0 l
I'd suggest eating this elephant one bite at time: track down a single Pi 5 and see if you can get a single copy of VCDS working on it.

As I understand it, the ARM version of Windows some people have gotten running on a Pi 5 is pretty alpha, not entirely functional, and may or may not be compatible with VCDS... good to find out now. :)

EDIT: having re-read what I just wrote it might make even more sense to reverse the order of the above suggestions.
_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
How are you, Vince ? Thank you for your post, I really appreciate it. Especial the advice " eating this elephant one bit at time " I've being researching for this project ( Head unit + GPS + Scan Tool ) for about 1 year. If I can't make VCDS to work in this project, I will go with ODIS, which has the licence on the software, not on the hardware. To be honest, I'd love to have booth.

TDI
1.6, 2.0 and 3.0 l
The dongle is the license.
_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
I'd be more than happy to pay for the VCDS software licence. Would be great if I could pay for the licence on the software as one time payment or a subscription rather than have to have the dongle to make it work. That'd be: Pi 5 ( With Windows) + Pi 5 Hat( With can capability to read CAN bus data) + VCDS. This would allow me to also have any other scan tool software installed ( Like ODIS ) on the Pi and also only one device ( The Pi 5 ) connected to the OBD port. I believe this would be a very nice and tidy set up. Any constructive feedback will be welcome.

burpod

teh stallionz!!1
TDI
82 rabbit vnt ahu, 98 jetta vnt ahu, 05 parts car, 88 scirocco.. :/
@burpod have you seen this thread?
little out of my realm of technical proficiency.. believe it or not :p

one thing i'd really like to do is get canbus data from edc15 ecu for faster sample rate data logging....