random no crank no start new starter and alternator

Torb5000

TDI
2002 Golf TDI
Drove the car about an hour prior to it happening. All was well.
No click but everything else is solid. No main fuses blown, all connections to starter are solid. Bumped it to get it home. Starter does not seem to be getting power. Starter is a week old and the alternator is a couple months old. Both are Bosch remanufactured units. Is there anyway to test the clutch switch or the ignition switch? Tomorrow morning I'll bump it out of my driveway to get it to my shop so I can get to work. Has anyone had this issue or similar?

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
Did you check your battery? A click or nothing at all can often be a dead/dying battery.

Torb5000

TDI
2002 Golf TDI
Did you check your battery? A click or nothing at all can often be a dead/dying battery.
Checked the battery this morning, 12.1v. Not perfect but it shouldn't cause an issue. Also found out this morning I left the key in the ignition in the run position all night after trying to test a few things. The battery is also a fairly new battery too. > 1 year.

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
The small wire to the starter should get 12v when the ignition keys to start. If that is intermittent, likely the ignition switch or the clutch pedal switch.

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
12.1 is borderline dead. Try charging it up and see what happens. On a cold morning 12.1 probably won't start your car. A fully charged battery is 12.6-12.8 you're a long way from that.

You just replaced the alternator correct? Which leads me to believe you had charging problems, which can kill a new battery. If you charge it up and it will not hold a charge take it back you can likely get a pro rated replacement or maybe even free replacement since it's only a year old.

Torb5000

TDI
2002 Golf TDI
The small wire to the starter does not receive any voltage when the key is switched to start. I haven't load tested the battery to fully eliminate the battery as the issue, however the battery is newer than the alternator. I have also yet to visually inspect to the clutch switch in case it is stuck.

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
The voltage on the small wire to the starter will only last for a short time. To test it you will need a helper to turn the key switch while you are checking the multi meter which should already be attached to the small trigger wire.

TurboABA

Top Post Dawg
TDI
RIP-2010 Jetta 6spd 2014 Touareg Execline
Jump the starter solenoid straight from the battery to see if it engages.
If it does, start chasing wires and connection to see where it's broken.

csstevej

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 golf tdi 4 door auto now a manual, mine, 2000 golf 2 door M/T son's,daughters 98 NB non-TDI 2.0, 2003 TDI NB for next daughter, head repaired and on road,gluten for punishment got another tdi 2001NB,another yellow tdi NB
My bet is a faulty ignition switch…….

Torb5000

TDI
2002 Golf TDI
The voltage on the small wire to the starter will only last for a short time. To test it you will need a helper to turn the key switch while you are checking the multi meter which should already be attached to the small trigger wire.
That's what I did. I didn't see any movement. I've ordered an ignition switch and a clutch switch coming tomorrow so we'll see where that takes me.

TurboABA

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Why not just bypass the clutch switch or check it with a meter to see if it completes the circuit?

TurboABA

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Unplug the harness and jump the wires... use a paperclip if you want, etc.
All that switch does is complete the circuit when the plunger is extended (aka clutch is depressed) so that the ECU get's power and allows a signal to be sent to the starter solenoid when you "crank" the ignition.
See example

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
Allowing a new battery or a known good battery to be discharged down below 12 volts two or three times will shorten it's life considerably. Also, it's cranking amperage (if that's the right term) will be greatly compromised.

I have a three year old battery that shows 12.68 volts, but it will not start the ALH engine in my Vanagon on a 75f day. Throw in another known good battery and it will start pronto. The three year old battery was run-down below 11 volts several times during the first year of service but the ability to be limited functional even at spec volts did not show-up until about two months ago.

ItAintRodKnock

Veteran Member
TDI
01GolfTDi
Allowing a new battery or a known good battery to be discharged down below 12 volts two or three times will shorten it's life considerably. Also, it's cranking amperage (if that's the right term) will be greatly compromised.

I have a three year old battery that shows 12.68 volts, but it will not start the ALH engine in my Vanagon on a 75f day. Throw in another known good battery and it will start pronto. The three year old battery was run-down below 11 volts several times during the first year of service but the ability to be limited functional even at spec volts did not show-up until about two months ago.
Ran my battery low(i think i have a parasitic drain) once a month ago, and today it wont start. Very Slow to turn over...

Im blasting it with 15amps right now to charge it, but i think a new battery is in my future.... bought in 2015, I got decent life out of it but i was hoping for 8+ years..

EDIT: at 15amps the charger went from 36%to 90% in 30 minutes. Not sure if that has any connection to liveliness or not though.

Last edited:

Torb5000

TDI
2002 Golf TDI
Finally got it into the shop today and it was the starter solenoid causing the problem

TurboABA

Top Post Dawg
TDI
At least you apparently had just had it replaced! Awesome troubleshooting by all involved!

Torb5000

TDI
2002 Golf TDI
Wish I could say it was me who figured it out but it was my coworkers with way more experience than me. At least my Bosch unit is still under warranty. Maybe I'll try a Valeo unit next or I'll just leave the garbage carquest one in since it actually works.