Random loss of power and then shut off

dylphil97

TDI
B5.5 Passat BHW sedan
Was driving down the highway like normal and all of a sudden felt a loss of power. Felt like no boost. A half mile later the car was powering down. Came safe to a stop and couldn’t fire it. Car cranks and has lights. No warning lights. Glow plug coil light working as usual. Thought it was fueling issue but why did I lose boost first? Any input is appreciated.

Mozambiquer

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2004 VW Touareg V10 TDI, 2012 Audi Q7 V6 TDI, 1998 VW Jetta TDI. 1982 VW Rabbit pickup, 2001 VW Jetta TDI, 2005 VW Passat wagon TDI X3, 2001 VW golf TDI, 1980 VW rabbit pickup,
Was driving down the highway like normal and all of a sudden felt a loss of power. Felt like no boost. A half mile later the car was powering down. Came safe to a stop and couldn’t fire it. Car cranks and has lights. No warning lights. Glow plug coil light working as usual. Thought it was fueling issue but why did I lose boost first? Any input is appreciated.
We just had a car towed to our shop with the exact same symptoms... The timing belt had jumped time and shut it down. Do you know when the timing belt was last replaced on yours? It's pretty easy to inspect it on these cars, just pull the timing cover off and look at it. This photo is what it looked like under the cover of the one I just worked on.

dylphil97

TDI
B5.5 Passat BHW sedan
We just had a car towed to our shop with the exact same symptoms... The timing belt had jumped time and shut it down. Do you know when the timing belt was last replaced on yours? It's pretty easy to inspect it on these cars, just pull the timing cover off and look at it. This photo is what it looked like under the cover of the one I just worked on.
Checked belt a week ago, still looks brand new. Was apparently done 20k ago and i believe it.. if it jumped timing wouldnt i hear a change in rpms, etc? it was a very gradual power loss; didnt just shut off immediately

Mozambiquer

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2004 VW Touareg V10 TDI, 2012 Audi Q7 V6 TDI, 1998 VW Jetta TDI. 1982 VW Rabbit pickup, 2001 VW Jetta TDI, 2005 VW Passat wagon TDI X3, 2001 VW golf TDI, 1980 VW rabbit pickup,
Do you have vag-com?

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
You say it lost boost, but what I think you mean is, it lost power. OBD works, I'd start there.

Does it crank normally? Check for cranking RPM signal in the engine data.

dylphil97

TDI
B5.5 Passat BHW sedan
You say it lost boost, but what I think you mean is, it lost power. OBD works, I'd start there.

Does it crank normally? Check for cranking RPM signal in the engine data.
Crank sounds normal.. dont have vag com/VCDS .. I guess OBDeleven can tell you crank speed.. should probably invest..

so if that signal doesnt read anything while im trying to crank its the crankshaft position sensor?

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Well it means the ECU is not getting a crank signal. It *could* be the sensor. It could be a bad connection, rubbed through wire, mouse chewed on something, etc.