Given:
2012 Sportwagen, 6MT
~4 month old Yellowtop Battery
RCD330 (187B) Head Unit
DEAutoLED Lights
New BECM
No modifications to factory harnessing

issue:
Engine sometimes takes 5-15 seconds of cranking to start.

Frequency:
Very intermittent, but more likely to happen when last run time was >1 day previous.
However, this has happened when ambient temperature was 60 Fahrenheit after 8 hours of sitting a parking lot after a 20 minute drive into work that had no issues.

This morning, after 20 hours of vehicle sitting in 60F weather outside, it took 15 seconds of cranking before firing. No error codes or lights on dash, which means voltage probably didn’t go below 10volts when cranking.

Previously,I thought this was a battery issue. Replaced battery, then had cold weather kit installed.

Question:

would this be an alternator, or fuel supply issue?

thanks!

austinroepke

TDI
2012 Sportwagen
Currently in a tractor. Will clean up later. Also, I keyed the car off after two miles of operation after the last hard start. Keyed on and car fired up without issue.

DivineChaos

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk6 jetta sportwagen tdi
My dad's does the same thing. Do you have any door module error codes? The fuel pumps supposed to run when you open the driver's door? I believe it's a drainback issue with the electric 60psi Bosch underwood pump. Because there is supposedly a safety valve in the hpfp that if it doesn't see a certain inlet pressure it closes the inlet to it doesn't run dry. It's not reading the door is opened, or the check valve in the electric pump is bad.

MrCypherr

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk6 Wagon
I have the same issue. Its very rare but sometimes after work, I cycle the glowplugs 2-3 times, and then crank. Rarely it will take a couple seconds. Never happens in the morning though.

Bob S.

Top Post Dawg
TDI
A B4V, some ALHs & BRMs
My '12 JSW manual has done something similar recently. I am suspecting the aux. fuel pump. Glow pug cycling does not appear to help. I will try Matt's accelerator tapping suggestion and check pump activation w/ door opening.

DivineChaos

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk6 jetta sportwagen tdi
I just had a lengthy discussion with a VW tech, and they have been plagued with this issue. Because it doesn't throw a check engine light they're at a loss of what to do. He confirmed that it could be the door latch. The intake flaps or one of the electronic fuel pumps. He did agree that the 60 PSI under hood pump or the door latch is the most likely culprit. You can check the door latch through vcds and the fuel pump with a manual pressure gauge. But you won't know unless you change it

DivineChaos

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk6 jetta sportwagen tdi
But the strange thing is that those of us who are deleted have never had this issue. Other than the high pressure fuel pump still going out, albeit less frequently

MrCypherr

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk6 Wagon
It seems like alot of the stupid issues im having disappear after you do the delete. So im going to wait and see what is still present after the delete is done. Honestly, never thought of the door latch. Ill have to have someone open the door while i listen at the intank pump and see if it kicks in.

DivineChaos

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk6 jetta sportwagen tdi
It seems like alot of the stupid issues im having disappear after you do the delete. So im going to wait and see what is still present after the delete is done. Honestly, never thought of the door latch. Ill have to have someone open the door while i listen at the intank pump and see if it kicks in.
It only kicks for a second. Then there is a delay.

ksing44

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI
There are other threads and a video about this for the first start of the day.
Increased Cranking Time When Starting
DiagnoseDan - VW golf 2.0TDI EA288 long crank diagnosis

My long crank on the first start of the day is more common in very warm weather, but I have a trick that really does seem to work and it also makes sense if it's related to oil pressure as noted in earlier posts and also in other threads. Instead of churning for lots of cycles, if I turn off the car after 1 or 2 turns, then it seems it fires right up on the first restart. I don't like letting it churn.

Good luck!

06bluebeetletdi

Veteran Member
TDI
'14 Passat TDI SEL and '13 Beetle TDI
My beetle does the same thing, never in the winter. I make sure to let the glow plug light go out, if it has sat a couple days, i cycle the glow plugs a couple times.

austinroepke

TDI
2012 Sportwagen
There are other threads and a video about this for the first start of the day.
Increased Cranking Time When Starting
DiagnoseDan - VW golf 2.0TDI EA288 long crank diagnosis

My long crank on the first start of the day is more common in very warm weather, but I have a trick that really does seem to work and it also makes sense if it's related to oil pressure as noted in earlier posts and also in other threads. Instead of churning for lots of cycles, if I turn off the car after 1 or 2 turns, then it seems it fires right up on the first restart. I don't like letting it churn.

Good luck!
Thank you so much. That video is exactly what’s going on, I thought something was losing pressure, but my first thought was the HPFP and all of the nightmares that brings.

I’ll take a look and verify I have the older vvt oil reservoir housing/solenoid valve.