Ram 1500 diesel

rotarykid

Top Post Dawg
Piedmont of N.C. & the plains of Colorado
TDI
1997 Passat TDI White,99.5 Blue Jetta TDI
I contacted wxman and got the following response on emissions...

wxman said:
If I recall correctly, a vehicle must maintain its certified exhaust emissions up to its full GVW. Also, there are now supplemental federal test procedures (SFTP) standards which vehicles must meet.

These include the US06 test duty cycle ("aggressive driving") and the SC03 test duty cycle (essentially the FTP duty cycle with air conditioning).

Dieselnet has a good explanation at http://www.dieselnet.com/standards/us/ld_t2.php for light-duty vehicles (Tier 2).

Tier 3 has been propose and will likely be finalized sometime this year (http://www.dieselnet.com/standards/us/ld_t3.php).

California has already adopted LEV III, which is the CARB equivalent of the federal Tier 3.

The complete set of federal requirements are codified in 40 CRF Part 86.

The part which applies to LD vehicles is available on-line at http://www.ecfr.gov/cgi-bin/retrieve...=40y19.0.1.1.2 .

"For light-duty vehicles and light light-duty trucks, test weight basis is loaded vehicle weight, which is the vehicle weight plus 300 pounds."

The citation is 40 CFR Part 86.129(f)(1)(i). It's about two-thirds the way down the page in the "eCFR" link I gave you previously.

"wxman"
So just as you have said and I never disputed TDIMeister, It is tested as described above by wxman & you.

But also as I have said, it must maintain emissions limits up to max GVW.

Not tested @ max GVW, not something I ever claimed. But using automaker collected data as submitted proof it cannot exceed limits while operating within that weight range. Automakers do their own collecting of this data to submit as proof that it does not exceed limits during operation within max GVW limits. This data is used to come up with Max GVW limits...

Lineman

Veteran Member
TDI
TDI-less... own a RAM 1500 Diesel now
Supposedly the Ram 1500 Diesel's have started production this week.... if the price is right this truck will bring me back to the diesel family.

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
The RAM diesel was running for about two minutes at the Detroit auto show. It sounds good - muted and quiet, but not too quiet. Very refined.

edgewatertom

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta 5spd GLS; 2010 Jetta 6spd; 2003 Golf 2DR 5spd; 2016 GMC Canyon 2.8DuraMAX
For what it's worth this is the reply from my local dealer.

Tom:

Thanks for the note. The last I heard the 1500 equipped with the ECO Diesel will be shipping sometime in February. I’ll let you know when one (or more) lands on our lot and you can stop in and take it for a drive. Have a great weekend.

Regards,

Neil Kinna
Adams Automotive
1797 West St.
Annapolis, MD 21401

Ski in NC

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta ALH 5sp stock
Well, kudos seem in order: Getting sh!t done. Talk about a diesel half ton, then in less than a year (or close) production starts. Bring it on.

Oberkanone

Top Post Dawg
TDI
13 Jetta TDI Premium manual "gone"
Well, kudos seem in order: Getting sh!t done. Talk about a diesel half ton, then in less than a year (or close) production starts. Bring it on.
*cough* *cough*
1/2 ton Dodge with diesel goes back to before 2008. Cummins that will go into Titan was devleloped for 1/2 ton Dodge.
There was written agreement for Dodge to build Nissan Titan and Titan and Dodge trucks would have shared the diesel and Titan would have been offered with Nissan V6 and V8 gas engines.

It is great the Ram 1/2 ton diesel is ACTUALLY built and will start shipment next month.

Ski in NC

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta ALH 5sp stock
Yea, I'm sure it was in the works longer than that. I was basing the 1yr thing on when this thread showed up. This is a perceptive crowd, so not much diesel chatter goes on before being picked up here!!

supton

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'04 Jetta Wagon GLS
Dodge did in the 70's? No surprise that it's overlooked, as it's easy to overlook that they made trucks back then (overshadowed by GM/Ford).

Looking forward to 2-3 years from now when the data is in.

TomJD

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI GLS, 2015 Golf TDI
Dodge did in the 70's? No surprise that it's overlooked, as it's easy to overlook that they made trucks back then (overshadowed by GM/Ford).

Looking forward to 2-3 years from now when the data is in.
Yup, I owned one. See my thread on it: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=394467. 25mpgs and a quart of oil per mile.

This truck was produced in the same year that Dodge made the Lil'Red Express...which if I recall correctly was the fastest production vehicle in '78. So Dodge probably made the fastest and slowest vehicle that year.

Had to sell it because the county didn't like how it looked from the road...screwed up I know :mad:

Last edited:

supton

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'04 Jetta Wagon GLS
Yup, I owned one. See my thread on it: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=394467. 25mpgs and a quart of oil per mile.

This truck was produced in the same year that Dodge made the Lil'Red Express...which if I recall correctly was the fastest production vehicle in '78. So Dodge probably made the fastest and slowest vehicle that year.

Had to sell it because the county didn't like how it looked from the road...screwed up I know :mad:
Bummer on having to sell. Unique piece of history.

TomJD

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI GLS, 2015 Golf TDI
Bummer on having to sell. Unique piece of history.
Yeah, I only got $1,000 for it. It was a tired engine. It had blow by, leaked oil, had oil consumption, and did I mention it leaked oil?

I wasn't even sure where to get a rebuild kit for it....as it was so rare. But 25mpgs was pretty cool, even if I only drove it 300ish miles when I owned it.

I know where it went. So I guess I could get it back if I wanted.

supton

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'04 Jetta Wagon GLS
As rare as it was, I'd probably swap motors, go back to gas. Easier.

That said, at 105hp and 170ish ft-lb, it seems like TDi territory of power...

rotarykid

Top Post Dawg
Piedmont of N.C. & the plains of Colorado
TDI
1997 Passat TDI White,99.5 Blue Jetta TDI
Yeah, I only got $1,000 for it. It was a tired engine. It had blow by, leaked oil, had oil consumption, and did I mention it leaked oil?
I wasn't even sure where to get a rebuild kit for it....as it was so rare. But 25mpgs was pretty cool, even if I only drove it 300ish miles when I owned it.
I know where it went. So I guess I could get it back if I wanted.
I am sure you could get the parts needed for a rebuild from Mitsubishi international parts distributors. They used that engine around the world for years in many applications.

If I had it I would find a shop that could sleeve the block to reuse the original pistons. Done this many times over the years on similar offerings. After the engine rebuild this thing would be a good candidate for a transplant into a good shape gasoline powered model body that has a shot transmission or engine...It would never be fast but it would in the end be a full size diesel powered fuel sipping pickup..

If you do the job right it would have value for as long as it exists....

bhtooefr

TDIClub Enthusiast, ToofTek Inventor
TDI
None
Really, at that power level, find a Passat that someone wrecked but already had the geared BSM installed, or deleted the BSM entirely, and swap it into an 80s half-ton full-size of your choice.

Ski in NC

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta ALH 5sp stock
Those big old IDI diesels (the mitsu) can run forever but can't match the power or efficiency of a turbo DI engine like a Cummins or TDI. I would not go through heroic measures to save one.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Yeah, the stock BHW is almost a dead-even replacement for the much-loved 4.9L I6 that Ford used for decades.

BHW:

136hp, 247tq

4.9L:

145hp, 265tq

...and the RPMs at which they peak is pretty close, too. Also, the maximum RPMs are about the same. BHWs don't have much need to spin past 4500, the 4.9L is almost incapable of spinning that fast.

Plus, in the F-truck's massive engine bay, you'd have PLENTY of room for all kinds of engine and charge air cooling, so you could probably safely bump the output up some. It wouldn't be "fast", but neither was the stock engine. Yet it is plenty to do everything most people would need a half-ton truck to do, and it would probably get 10+ MPG better. :)

bhtooefr

TDI
None
I'll also note that VW is sticking 177 hp, 295 ft-lb engines with two turbos into Transporters, and only turning them down to 161 hp (but the same torque) for Crafters, on the same block architecture (granted, it's a common rail with a 16v head), nowadays.

If VW thinks the engine can be that stressed while pushing around a Crafter, a BHW can push around a full-size American pickup just fine.

Hell, the Amarok's almost as big as a MODERN full-size American pickup, and VW's putting the 177 hp tune in those.

bhtooefr

TDI
None
Mind you, I'm just talking about the highest power tunes.

For low-power tunes... you can get a T5 Transporter today with an 83 hp, 162 ft-lb 2.0 CR-TDI, a Crafter with a 107 hp, 221 ft-lb 2.0 CR-TDI, or an Amarok with a 138 hp, 251 ft-lb 2.0 CR-TDI.

kydsid

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat
I think its great if those lower powered engines are offered and think they would be great for a lot of drivers. But i wont be buying anything of the sort.

supton

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'04 Jetta Wagon GLS
Yep, the rest of the world realizes all that is needed, slowly the American sheeple will too.
I still toy with building the vehicle I want. My wagon is close to what I want 95% of the time; if only I could get a low range option for the transmission I'd probably be at 99%. I've never minded going slow, but I abhor the smell of burnt clutch. I came across a thread the other night, some guys figured out how to engage low range on their 4WD Tacomas *without* engaging the front axle, making 2Lo. Most of them wanted that for backing up their travel trailers--which is what I wanted in my Jetta too.

Well, ground clearance might be nice too, I've been eying the frost heaves lately.

Oberkanone

Top Post Dawg
TDI
13 Jetta TDI Premium manual "gone"
28 mpg hwy epa

2WD
20 City
28 Highway
23 Combined

4WD
19 city
27 highway