Rally tie rod ends for MK3 MK4

Satiro

Veteran Member
TDI
IBIZA 1.9TDI 110hp AFN 1998
Looking for some tie rod ends upgrade for MK3, i found them in google. Unibal and Durbal are manufacturers that are making them. Benefits and improvements are supposed... is there any negative effect for to use it? what are the maintenance specifications?

Last edited:

LA_VW

TDI
2003 Golf TDI Automatic
No clue, but based on looks alone those are pretty badass. Mind posting a link to where you found them?

Got Bearings?

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf GLS
No comment on those specific items but generally, those joints aren't that good for the street. They may wear out quickly (< 1 year) from dirt and grime and rattle until it drives you nuts.

Satiro

Veteran Member
TDI
No comment on those specific items but generally, those joints aren't that good for the street. They may wear out quickly (< 1 year) from dirt and grime and rattle until it drives you nuts.
Good info, i supposed that about wear issues... I think i will let them a try, i will grease them monthly. I should like to improve the steering response a little

Is there another mild/street upgrade for tie rod ends?

Last edited:

Abacus

That helpful B4 guy
TDI
Only the B4V left
They look like just regular Heim Joints. They are great for off-roading due to the extreme angles they will achieve, but on the street they are known for not lasting as long due to the lack of lubrication compared to a regular tie rod end.

Satiro

Veteran Member
TDI
I did know nothing about Heim, The best part of Heims is their price, for less than 30$ one complete set:2 aluminium tie rod ends,studs to heim,bearing seals

Heim:

I don' have any stock tie rod end for measuring it, i see in Heim catalog some different sizes/measurements, do you know what's the correct Heim tie rod end size for Golf Mk3?

Some sizes on page:
1/2" Shank/Hole, 5/8" Shank/Hole, 3/4" Shank/Hole, 5/8" Shank/Hole
http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Pro-1-Series-Male-LH-Heims,83.html?parentDisplayId=80

Last edited:

Satiro

Veteran Member
TDI
You might want to look into Johnnie Joints. They are much better suited for the street.
http://www.currieenterprises.com/cestore/johnnyjoints.aspx
Thanks for that info. But price is really different, Heim unit costs around 6$ and those costs around 40$... if the longevity of Johnies isn't too much longer than Heims, worth to buy Heims. I did hear nothing about Johnies, what do you say are much better for street? I'm very interested in that... Your help is very estimated guys, THANKS!:)

Got Bearings?

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf GLS
I say they are better than standard heim joints because they are completely sealed, not affected by the elements. On top of that, they are greaseable. I don't know how long Johnnie joints last but lets say 5 years. Replacing Heims 5 times (yearly) = $30. Johnnie joint = $40. Savings $10. Is your time worth more than $10?

Maybe an email to Curry with life expectancy may help you make a decision.

Last edited:

Satiro

Veteran Member
TDI
Good thoughts! I will take info about those joints.
Thanks for that good help and your suggestions.

Last edited:

Satiro

Veteran Member
TDI
WOW, those Johnnie joints looks GREAT. I think i will go to them when i change my tie rod ends instead of Heims,Unibal... Thanks for that info:)

Satiro

Veteran Member
TDI
I've read that audi A3 S3/TT/golfR32(MK4) have stronger tie rod ends than standard MK4. Is possible to fit MK4 tie rod ends on a Golf MK3? If not possible, what are the differences beetween tie rod ends?
Thanks

Last edited: