Radio swap

dmarsingill

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Sportwagen Turned in , 2000 Z3 Coupe, 2003 Ford Expedition
Is there any programming to be done when swapping identical radios?(RCD510) Obviously the Sirius receiver number needs to be given to Sirius, but what about other features? The reason I ask is, the dealer exchange includes installation and programming for $600. The service writer said that includes $120 in labor to pull the old to get the serial number, put it back in, order the radio, and pull and replace with the new. She threw a number of $400 in one of my e-mails. I understand the labor, but is there really a need to reprogram an exchange from the dealer? I can easily swap it myself.

Donald

N41EF

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf, 2009 ML 320, 2006 NB, 2001 NB
Just did this with RNS-315's Write down the Sirius ID of the old radio, and once the new one is in you can go online or call and switch your subscription to the new radio.

You need a trim tool or plastic spatula to remove the trim, and 4 torx screws to remove radio and install the new. If the new radio is really NEW< it needs to be coded. If it's used you are prob ok just to stick it in. Make sure you have the code for both radios.

gmcjetpilot

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW TDI DSG Matalic Grey
Is there any programming to be done when swapping identical radios?(RCD510) Obviously the Sirius receiver number needs to be given to Sirius, but what about other features? The reason I ask is, the dealer exchange includes installation and programming for $600. The service writer said that includes $120 in labor to pull the old to get the serial number, put it back in, order the radio, and pull and replace with the new. She threw a number of $400 in one of my e-mails. I understand the labor, but is there really a need to reprogram an exchange from the dealer? I can easily swap it myself.

Donald
RIP OFF RIP OFF.... First the serial number can be had by using Ross Tech Cable... which you don't have, but never the less it takes a few minutes. I suspect a few minutes or an hour, they are going to charge you a full hour. RIP OFF, but par for the course with dealers. You really don't need the old serial number if you are going to replace it with a used unit....

The actual removal and replacement of the radio is 30 minutes. Go look on Youtube. You need a non metallic tool to get the plastic surround bezel off. Then a few screws and connectors that pop off. You can do all of it sitting in the passenger seat.

There is no programming I know of as N41FE said. If you buy a used radio... GET THE CODE!!! I am not sure if the radio is new, I guess they have to CODE it? This should take less than 10 minutes for a tech even if reprograming is needed.

$400 is bad value, $600 is ridiculous labor. I can see at most 2 hours total, at $125/Hr..... $250..... However $600 or even $400... hummm. Since the price changed it shows you have arbitrary the labor is. If you lived nearby I'd do it for free. I would ask to talk to Manager of the dealership. If not call VWoA and ask to speak to customer advocate.

Consider skipping dealer. Try and find a good used (OEM VW, with code, North American Radio spacing), get a warranty. eBay gives a guarantee. Ask seller to up the return period to 30 days, so you have time to install it. Then find someone local to install it... like a local stereo shop... should do it for a $100.

Last edited:

dmarsingill

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Sportwagen Turned in , 2000 Z3 Coupe, 2003 Ford Expedition
RIP OFF RIP OFF.... First the serial number can be had by using Ross Tech Cable... which you don't have, but never the less it takes a few minutes. I suspect a few minutes or an hour, they are going to charge you a full hour. RIP OFF, but par for the course with dealers. You really don't need the old serial number if you are going to replace it with a used unit....

The actual removal and replacement of the radio is 30 minutes. Go look on Youtube. You need a non metallic tool to get the plastic surround bezel off. Then a few screws and connectors that pop off. You can do all of it sitting in the passenger seat.

There is no programming I know of as N41FE said. If you buy a used radio... GET THE CODE!!! I am not sure if the radio is new, I guess they have to CODE it? This should take less than 10 minutes for a tech even if reprograming is needed.

$400 is bad value, $600 is ridiculous labor. I can see at most 2 hours total, at $125/Hr..... $250..... However $600 or even $400... hummm. Since the price changed it shows you have arbitrary the labor is. If you lived nearby I'd do it for free. I would ask to talk to Manager of the dealership. If not call VWoA and ask to speak to customer advocate.

Consider skipping dealer. Try and find a good used (OEM VW, with code, North American Radio spacing), get a warranty. eBay gives a guarantee. Ask seller to up the return period to 30 days, so you have time to install it. Then find someone local to install it... like a local stereo shop... should do it for a $100.
It appears the going rate for used ones are $300+. My thinking is....$100 more for a 1 yr warranty may be worth it. I have no problem swapping it. In fact I took the one out to tinker with it. My question was about the coding. I got a PM from an expert. He said that the refurbished dealer ones need coding. That is the "programming" that the dealer was charging. I have found a place that carries a 90 day warranty for $300 for an AE. I actually have spoke to them, and it might be the way I go.

Donald

I

N41EF

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf, 2009 ML 320, 2006 NB, 2001 NB
I bought a "new' RNS 315 for $350 to replace mine. If you can get your hands on a radio at a reasonable price, I'm 2.5 hours from you, and will help you install it and code it for free.

The "coding" is if you have an RVC, how many speakers, and to get it to talk to the display.

If you are replacing with non-nav radio I can do it in 30 minutes. If you are adding NAV, add maybe 15 minutes to position the antenna and remove the magnetic sensor that non-nav cars use.

I'll need a 12 pack of Diet Dr Pepper, and you can buy me lunch at our local greasy burger place.

So, a tank of fuel, and 6 or so hours, or pay the dealer $400. Oh, and if you are due for a service we can knock that out too.