Radio stays on until the key is removed?

Dakota2004

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta
Is it normal for the radio to stay on until key is removed? This is a 2002 Jetta TDI. My other vehicles, the radio will stay on until the door is opened.

Dakota2004

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta
Thanks for the quick reply. Is there any way to make the radio turn off when the door is opened? I leave my keys in the car when I’m at home and would like to just turn off the vehicle and get out.

Audiofyl

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf GLS 05 indigo blue
if you pull the key out to kill the accessory switch then reinsert it, the radio will stay off and the door buzzer will be shunt. no worries with draining power that way. when you pull the key out you will hear the click of the steering column lock activating.

DeafBug

Gone but Never Forgotten: Requiescat In Pace
TDI
2001 NB
Thanks for the quick reply. Is there any way to make the radio turn off when the door is opened? I leave my keys in the car when I’m at home and would like to just turn off the vehicle and get out.
I also beleive the radio will shut off if left on for one hour. I know it is not the same thing but there is a feature. Unlike other cars that the radio stays on all night...

hskrdu

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Golf GLS 4D 5M, 2015 GSW SE 6M
As said, the radio stays on until the key is removed or one hour passes. If you leave the keys in the car (!) and walk away, how about just pushing the radio power button. This will turn the radio off regardless of the key or door until you turn it back on. If you didn't get an OM with your car, try getting one on ebay or elsewhere- it will have answers to lots of features- or search for "favorite hidden features." Remember, the doors will self-lock in some circumstances, so make sure you have access to your keys!

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
... None :S
46 - Central Convenience: -- KWP1281
Only on vehicles with power windows. VAG-COM fine. There are numerous options/ features that can be set.

Selective Unlocking:

[Select]
[46 - Cent. Conv.] (35 - Cent. Locking for manual window cars)
[Recode - 07]
Write down the existing coding for future reference.
Enter 5-digit code from below
[Do It!]

Look at the existing Soft. Coding. If you have selective unlocking (press the unlock button on the remote once to open the driver's door, twice to open all the doors) the last digit of your coding should be an even number. To make all doors unlock, add 1 to the coding.

So, if you have a 2-door 2002 GTI that is coded for selective unlocking (00064) add one to make it 00065 so that all doors unlock with one press of the unlock button.

Lock/Unlock Horn/Flash:

[Select]
[46 - Cent. Conv.] (35 - Cent. Locking for manual window cars)
[Adaptation - 10]
Channel (03..08)
Adaptation Value (1 = on, 0 = off)
[Save]

Channel 03 Auto Lock
Channel 04 Auto Unlock
Channel 05 Unlock, horn sounds
Channel 06 Lock, horn sounds
Channel 07 Unlock, turn signals flash
Channel 08 Lock, turn signals flash
From Here My car locks at 10mph, unlocks with key out of ignition, all doors unlock with one press of the remote. Just the way I want it

-J

katipo

Veteran Member
I feature I found on radio.

Once key is removed turn the volume up a bit then the radio will play.

Once the door is opened the radio will quit.

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta that I fill by myself
I leave my keys in the car when I’m at home and would like to just turn off the vehicle and get out.
So, where do you live exactly?...;)
"Lansford, North Dakota "

There is only four other people in town and he's related to them. Kinda sucks to be dating that way.

Dakota2004

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta
Come-on now, Lansford has 262 people last time I counted. I am originally from Kalamazoo Michigan but the military thought I need to be in North Dakota

Chief Lee Visceral

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 2001, midnight blue
Jason,

That's cool I might do the speed to lock doors change. I have an Alien Controller installed. I wonder if the change to one press for all doors unlock will mess it up. Don't think so because it senses 3 presses to roll down the windows.

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
Come-on now, Lansford has 262 people last time I counted. I am originally from Kalamazoo Michigan but the military thought I need to be in North Dakota
OK, maybe I exagerated a bit. Since the Uncle Sam sent you there, you probably aren't related to to anyone either.

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
I feature I found on radio.

Once key is removed turn the volume up a bit then the radio will play.

Once the door is opened the radio will quit.
One of us has a broken car. Mine doesn't do that.

rdkern

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Passat 1997 silver (sold after 11 years), Jetta 2000 atlantic blue
In Eureka CA - actually outside of it by 1 mile or so (pop 30K or so) I'd not leave the keys in a car generally. Wait - my 67 bug has the keys in it in the garage. I think the battery's dead, and the driveway's uphill..... I'd better check to make sure the garage door is closed.......

Audiofyl

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf GLS 05 indigo blue
The stock radio will turn on without the key though if you push the power button at any time. Not sure if there's a time limit or if it stays on indefinately that way. (or until you push power again)

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
If you turn the radio on with the key out, it will stay on for one hour. This is covered in the owner's manual

-J

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
Then *I* must be broken because I can't get it to do that.

I started car. Shut off car. Removed key. Turned up raido. **Nothing** Pushed button. **Nothing**. I guess I haven't figured out the exact right procedure.

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
You should be able to just walk up to the car, having never started it, push the power button on the radio, and it will come on for an hour. You have the OE radio, right Tim?

-Jason

w8aii

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 2ØØ2, Blk
I thought I had read somewhere that you can reprogram, via VAG-COM, that you can close the windows if left open and lock the vehicle with the remote. I also remember something about closing the sun roof too if opened... Does anyone know if this is fact or fiction? Should would be nice though as I have a tendancy to leave the sun roof open during warm climates...

ymz

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI Wagon, 2003 Jetta TDI Wagon
>>military thought I need to be in North Dakota<<

Hey!! _Someone_ needs to protect the U.S. from those vicious Canadians !!!

Yuri.