radio on with ignition off

funoutdoors121

Veteran Member
TDI
15 GSW S 6MT
Hi All!
Has anyone re-wired their radio so it can stay powered after the car is shut off?
Just wondering how difficult this would be, on a 2015 GSW.
The pro would be able to finish listening to a song for a few minutes after turning off the engine, while gathering belongings/emptying car.
The con would be to forget to turn off the radio and run down the battery.
If anyone has done this, would love some tips/advice!
Thanks,
:D

ProfBrown

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW SE DSG
If you press the power button on the stereo after you turn the car off it will turn back on.

Not really a fix, just a work around. The radio will turn off once the car is exited and locked.

I was annoyed as you are when I found out lol. I had a rental Jetta and it wasn’t this way and I was a tad jealous.

Someone will just say leave the car on while you gather your things honestly lmao

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

funoutdoors121

Veteran Member
TDI
15 GSW S 6MT
Thanks for the reminder,
I had indeed noticed this some time ago but then forgotten about it.
An extra step to take after the song gets cut off.
I would prefer to rewire the power to that unit if not too complex a job, but in the big scheme of things, not a high priority ;)

ATR

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT
There might be a way to enable this via VCDS or OBDEleven.

I've had 2 MK7s and they both kept the radio on after I turned the engine off. Both of my cars have been kessy (keyless entry and start). Not sure if that has anything to do with it.

hooville

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Golf GLS, 2016 GTI, 2015 TDI Sportwagen S
MIB2 supports that, MIB1 doesn't in NAR cars. I've seen several threads on trying to code it in MIB1 but so far no one has made it happen AFAIK. I haven't given up hope but that's what I've seen on all the forums I"ve searched. Good luck, more eyes and brains thinking about it can only help!

adjat84th

Veteran Member
TDI
'01 Jetta TDI/'15 Golf TDI
There might be a way to enable this via VCDS or OBDEleven.

I've had 2 MK7s and they both kept the radio on after I turned the engine off. Both of my cars have been kessy (keyless entry and start). Not sure if that has anything to do with it.
Two '15 MK7 TDIs? I believe this is a TDI or '15MY specific issue for some reason. The GTI doesn't exhibit this behavior if I recall. I have scoured VCDS on three different occasions over the past two years trying to find a way to keep the system on with no luck. The option HAS to be somewhere though! My SEL and ex's SE (both KESSY) do not remain on after shutting down.

ATR

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT
Two '15 MK7 TDIs? I believe this is a TDI or '15MY specific issue for some reason. The GTI doesn't exhibit this behavior if I recall. I have scoured VCDS on three different occasions over the past two years trying to find a way to keep the system on with no luck. The option HAS to be somewhere though! My SEL and ex's SE (both KESSY) do not remain on after shutting down.
A '17 GTI and a '17 Golf R.

I do often miss the MPGs. My next car will probably be another diesel :cool:
Now that I have a short commute I figured I'd go a bit more zoom zoom :D

TDIBone

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf Sportwagon TDI
FWIW if you leave it as is and just turn on the stereo with no key, it does shut itself off after some time. I realized this when I was trying to listen to the ball game on the XM radio while working in the garage. :)

Cuzoe

Veteran Member
TDI
MK7 Golf S
My car is not Kessy... but this behavior has pretty much been attributed to MIB I. Retrofit MIB II, problem solved.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

JeffsSportWagen

Usually between the Florida Gulf Coast & Treasure
TDI
2015 Golf SportWagen S TDI/dsg
This does not really address the issue at hand, but I was able to activate the Green Engineering Menu for my MIB1 and the one thing I was able to positively effect was how long the system stays on after the car is turned off. From the factory mine was set to shut off after 10 mins. I changed mine so that it shuts down after 30 minutes.

Once the car is shut off the system does shut right down (which is annoying,) but if you power the system back on it will stay on for up to 30 mins. This is great when I'm detailing the interior but being disabled, I also spend a fair amount of time waiting in the car for my better half whilst she's running errands... so overall that mod was a win for me.

Don't remember the exact steps to pull it off but would be willing to investigate it and report back with a write it up if anyone is interested.

funoutdoors121

Veteran Member
TDI
15 GSW S 6MT
The Green Engineering Menu?
Never heard of that.
How did you enable this?
What options/mods does it provide?
Thanks in advance!

JeffsSportWagen

Usually between the Florida Gulf Coast & Treasure
TDI
2015 Golf SportWagen S TDI/dsg
Thanks Lightflyer1. Couldn't have explained it better. Lots of settings in the sub menus, but your German better be gut.

Also, I enabled mine using the Carista App on my android phone. I have the GTD welcome screen enabled to go along with my DIY GTD theme. (Also via Carista)