Radio Battery Drain Question

davidlp

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf Sportwagen 2015 Blue Silk
I've definitely got a leak on fuse #42 as so many others have with resultant starting issues with the TDI, especially cold weather, but I've not seen anyone really say what the resolution was. I've got the basic, junk non-Monsoon, awful sounding factory unit with trunk CD changer. I removed the changer awhile ago which reduced the current loss somewhat. Is it typically a defect in the radio itself that replacing will fix, or is there usually something on that circuit, or what? I've also seen suggestions of the antenna amp being permanently on too. I've not pulled everything out yet, but was hoping to get a clue ahead of time. I'd happily stick an aftermarket unit in, since you can get one with modern features for <$100.

50harleyrider

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 B5.5 TDI/geared BSM, BV43A turbo,stage 2 TDTUNING. 2005 5sp manual passat tdi stage 2 tdtuning,BSM delete. 2015 Passat TDI 6sp manual.
The security system is usually the culprit. Keep a quality fresh battery in it and try to run it at least once/wk.

davidlp

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf Sportwagen 2015 Blue Silk
The radio is the main draw. The car pulls 84ma when off, and about 25ma with the radio fuse pulled. Unfortunately the problem is when my daughter is at college the car is often left in the remote student parking lot for a week at a time, so that is a problem, especially in the winter months when a strong battery is needed. Even if she gets it started, letting the battery run down significantly on a regular basis is a good way to scrap a $200 battery.