Radiator pressure test

Gli_ryan

TDI
B4v
Has anyone cobbled up something to pressure test the radiator when its out of the car? B4v tdi. I have a phantom leak that I just found at the lower hose connection. I would like to figure out if its the radiator or if its the dog **** adapter setup. I have the radiator out of the car with the adapter on it. I replaced the radiator 2 years ago, and so it has 30,000 to 40,000 miles on it. Id like to think it would last longer than that........

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
Don't know that anyone has done a pressure tester but if anyone has it might be Abacus. As for the adapter, did you replace the o-ring and lube it before you reassembled the connection? If you don't lube it the o-ring can tear and cause lots of problems, including intermittent leaks that only show under full pressure.

Steve

Gli_ryan

TDI
B4v
Fixed this leak, it was the oring. Got a new one from dealer and new clip. It took all the force I could muster to squeeze that connection together. Oring was seated and lubed. Had to use a screw driver to help push the clip into its slots.

My next problem is the poor heat I'm getting after replacing the heater core. Tried to let out air at the connections, nothing happened but spilling some coolant. Didn't fix the issue.

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
Fyi, I would not pressurize any part of the coolant system past 15psi. I think that's the blow off for the coolant cap. Give or take. Radiator and heater core and many other parts are oring and plastics moulded to aluminum. Going further than about 15 could damage the this. Try flushing out the core, see what comes out. Iron out works really well too for flushing a clogged core or block ect.....

ToddA1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'96 B4V, '97 B4 (sold), '97 Jetta (scrapped)
Are both hoses that pass through the firewall hot? If so, I have a feeling it’ll be the lack of foam on your blend doors.

A quick test would be pressing the “recirculate” button, to see if the heat gets better. I do this with the winter beater.

-Todd