Radiator fan question

tntdifan

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
My car is an '06 Jetta with BRM engine, 152k miles.

I'm noticing that the radiator fan (I think it's the "left", driver's side large fan) is making a "thump thump" noise after the car is shut off as it spools down. It may be noisy when the engine is running as well, but I can't tell over the engine noise. Additionally, the A/C has become anemic after startup and at low speeds.

I guess I can put the car on VCDS and see if it reports anything, but it sounds like I need to replace the left fan under any circumstances. Am I on the right track?

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Left fan for sure sounds like it may be bad, or broken. The A/C may be related to the RCV in the compressor.

icecap

Veteran Member
TDI
2006.5 Jetta TDI 5Spd Black Anthracite Pkg 1
My car is an '06 Jetta with BRM engine, 152k miles.

I'm noticing that the radiator fan (I think it's the "left", driver's side large fan) is making a "thump thump" noise after the car is shut off as it spools down. It may be noisy when the engine is running as well, but I can't tell over the engine noise. Additionally, the A/C has become anemic after startup and at low speeds.

I guess I can put the car on VCDS and see if it reports anything, but it sounds like I need to replace the left fan under any circumstances. Am I on the right track?
Back in early July I noticed that my A/C was getting poor and thought it may be low on charge. What I found puzzling is that the A/C worked normally traveling down the freeway but it would quit altogether in stop and go city driving. It turned out that my radiator fans had stopped working. The brushes in the passenger side motor had stuck so motor quit and as a result the Driver side fan ran at maximum speed until it failed too. I did notice that leading up to my problem I noticed that when I shut my car off I heard a whistling noise similar to a jet engine which then slowed and coast to a stop. That was before the fan quit working altogether.