radiator coupler O ring installation

bmwM5power

Veteran Member
TDI
15 GSW TDI S 6MT 02 JETTA TDI GLS 5MT 15 GOLF TDI SE 6MT 15 GOLF TDI SEL DSG
whats the proper procedure to replace the upper and lower radiator coupler O ring? i replaced the leaking radiator and was gonna replace the O ring on those 2 couplers, please, advise

PakProtector

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk.4's and the Cummins
IMO, grease them. Using something impervious to glycol; Krytox comes to mind...and same for any of these clip connections like the heater.

Douglas

bmwM5power

Veteran Member
TDI
thank you for the answer, to clarify a little, the reason for asking is I read somewhere that I need to put the O ring on the male side of the radiator (the flange), I greased it up with silicone grease, but there is no way I can put the coupler on like that. Is it ok to put the new O ring into the groove on the female side ( the coupler) where the old O ring was and then press it in?

gforce1108

Top Post Dawg
TDI
04 Jetta GLS BEW, 14 Audi A7 V6 TDI, 13 Porsche Cayenne V6 TDI
The oring goes inside the groove in the coupler - not on the radiator. I just replaced a mkiv radiator and now have a slight drip from that connection. Oring was cleaned and lubed. Unknown brand of radiator - came free with another of his cars and didn't have time to order/locate orings.

agent_jwa

TDI
02 Golf
The o-ring goes into the groove, I use a tiny bit of super lube on the o-ring and on the radiator.

Part number N90765301 just got them from the dealer last night like 2.50 each

03TDICommuter

Veteran Member
TDI
01' NB, 5spd
I just did this on my beetle. You need to pick out the old orings from the coupler, lube and install the new ones. I use silicone o-ring grease sparingly as the lube.

BTW, for the thermostatic switch screwed into the radiator tank, did yours have a gasket?

agent_jwa

TDI
02 Golf
Mine didn't but I just used some Teflon tape and it doesn't leak at all. I was surprised with all the other stuff having o rings

bmwM5power

Veteran Member
TDI
I just did this on my beetle. You need to pick out the old orings from the coupler, lube and install the new ones. I use silicone o-ring grease sparingly as the lube.

BTW, for the thermostatic switch screwed into the radiator tank, did yours have a gasket?
it didnt, i put a lil of teflon tape, all good