radial shaft play in a new turbo

tdibeliever

Veteran Member
TDI
None currently- just pieces
Anybody know what would be acceptable radial play in a K03/K04 Hybrid turbo? It's only got 1500mi. on it and the car is using oil to the tune of a half quart in 750mi. There is quite a bit of oil pooling in the boost pipes.

diesel-dave

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 wagon TDI, 2003 wagon Tdi, 2013 Q7 Tdi
there has got to be enough play to allow oil to surround shaft

some oil is common in intake tract

are you idling long?

tdibeliever

Veteran Member
TDI
Perhaps an hour off and on while sorting the car out in the garage. The 1500mi. were all highway. There's no in/out movement. The compressor wheel looks it's right on the verge of touching the housing if was pushed to one side.

dieseleux

Théoricien -TDIClub Contributor
TDI
Jetta TDI 02
Radial shaft play of K03 or K03/K04 are big compare to another turbo because bushing have only one point bearing versus two point for most turbo.
Compressor wheel touch housing... normal for this small KKK turbo.
I have this hybrid on my car last 130,000km and work good.
Axial play for brand new Garrett turbo are aprox 8 mil. (KKK are similar)

Dieseleux

Last edited:

diesel-dave

Veteran Member
TDI
tdibeliever said:
Perhaps an hour off and on while sorting the car out in the garage. The 1500mi. were all highway. There's no in/out movement. The compressor wheel looks it's right on the verge of touching the housing if was pushed to one side.

time for a new turbo

tdibeliever

Veteran Member
TDI
Here's a pic and a short quicktime of it. I can only fit a .0015" feeler gauge between the wheel and the housing.

[/IMG]

Ok, I can't figure out how to post the video, but they are in my member gallery.

dieseleux

Théoricien -TDIClub Contributor
TDI
Jetta TDI 02
tdibeliever said:
Here's a pic and a short quicktime of it. I can only fit a .0015" feeler gauge between the wheel and the housing.

Ok, I can't figure out how to post the video, but they are in my member gallery.
Just put link of video like me.

In this small turbo, compressor wheel center by centrifugal force.

Dieseleux

Last edited:

tdibeliever

Veteran Member
TDI
I just got an Email back from Gpopshop. They say acceptable values are between .018"-.022" Mine measures up to .025" and with as little clearance as .0015".

diesel-dave

Veteran Member
TDI
oh i thought you said it was touching or hitting the housing

with oil pressure it will float straight.

mojogoes

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk3 tdi golf
The Gt25bb i'm using gives similar play as the turbo in the video if not a tad more............the bigger the turbo the more play it will have.

The Shootist

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 New Beetle GLS TDI
tdibeliever,

That spec should be bearing clearance. At the end of the shaft it will be more, so your .025" is probably ok with that taken into account.

My 2256 had the same sort of play and when taken apart had absolutely zero signs of wear in the bearings. High oil volume floats the shaft in the center of the bearing, and will keep it centered until shaft rotation stops.

mojogoes

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk3 tdi golf
The Shootist said:
tdibeliever,

That spec should be bearing clearance. At the end of the shaft it will be more, so your .025" is probably ok with that taken into account.

My 2256 had the same sort of play and when taken apart had absolutely zero signs of wear in the bearings. High oil volume floats the shaft in the center of the bearing, and will keep it centered until shaft rotation stops.
Yeah can you say "tubo timer"

tdibeliever

Veteran Member
TDI
I'll set up my dial indicator on the end of the compressor shaft and measure the movement there.