Rad fan turns on after ign off timeout

DivineChaos

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk6 jetta sportwagen tdi
Hey guys I have a 2012 Volkswagen Jetta SportWagen TDI. Recently my radiator fan has been turning on after the car is shut off and everything times out. Car is tuned and emissions fixed. So there's no more regions. I had to pull the fuse to shut the fan off. I have no codes that I can see, where would you guys point me towards?

DivineChaos

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk6 jetta sportwagen tdi
Now after having the fuse out for an hour when I put the fuse back in the fan didn't immediately turn back on, as it was doing before.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Curious to see what is going on. I have a customer with a 2011 JSW, DSG, with a delete/tune and its fans run the entire time the key is ON, and continue to run for a while after the engine is OFF but for longer the warmer the engine is. And I cannot find any obvious reason as to why.

Both the coolant temp sensors (end of head in flange, front of engine in hose) are not the cause, refrigerant pressure is not the cause, ATF temp is not the cause, the module itself (in the left motor) is not the cause, high charge air temp is not the cause....

DivineChaos

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk6 jetta sportwagen tdi
Curious to see what is going on. I have a customer with a 2011 JSW, DSG, with a delete/tune and its fans run the entire time the key is ON, and continue to run for a while after the engine is OFF but for longer the warmer the engine is. And I cannot find any obvious reason as to why.

Both the coolant temp sensors (end of head in flange, front of engine in hose) are not the cause, refrigerant pressure is not the cause, ATF temp is not the cause, the module itself (in the left motor) is not the cause, high charge air temp is not the cause....
So many things can cause it. Great...

DivineChaos

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk6 jetta sportwagen tdi

Maybe something with the tune is causing yours. Mine just started. The other things I found is it could be the fan itself causing it.

oilhammer

TDI
This car was not doing this right after I had the ECU redone. This issue came later. And I tried plugging a new fan into it, that wasn't it (it happily took off spinning in my hand, and I couldn't get it UNplugged!)

DivineChaos

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk6 jetta sportwagen tdi
Is there a fan controller somewhere? If I have this issue keep happening after my ignition is off I might put a 50 amp relay in and tie it to something that has power with ignition on. So there is no power to the fan with ign off. But while it's cold I'm just unplugging the fuse

DivineChaos

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk6 jetta sportwagen tdi
This car was not doing this right after I had the ECU redone. This issue came later. And I tried plugging a new fan into it, that wasn't it (it happily took off spinning in my hand, and I couldn't get it UNplugged!)
The strange thing is my dash reads temperature but when I go to the ECU it reads null.

DrGERTol

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf Variant (JSW) 6MT
Fan control module J293 is part of fan 1 V7, which gets its control signal(s) from the ECM J623. I can add a bit of the wiring diagram later, as needed. --g

oilhammer

TDI
Post #3 (gave location of fan controller)

Post #3 (gave location of BOTH coolant temp sensors)

;)

DivineChaos

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk6 jetta sportwagen tdi
Post #3 (gave location of fan controller)

Post #3 (gave location of BOTH coolant temp sensors)

;)
So both the coolant sensors are the same part number? High charge air temp? What what? I do have a trans pressure code that's been there since the trans tune. I had to replace my map for the stage4. Could that cause it? I think it's the controller in the fan because it's only when the ignition is off. It always has constant power. I guess I could try unplugging the control wires for it....

DivineChaos

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk6 jetta sportwagen tdi
It must be a loose wire somewhere. Because now the coolant sensor reads fine and the fan isn't kicking on when the ignitions off. All I did was wiggle some wires. So I'll have to check the connector on the head

fillupamerica

TDI
2010 sportswagen tdi

"fans run the entire time the key is ON, and continue to run for a while after the engine is OFF"

My 2010 TDI JSW with tune delete is doing the same exact thing. It started as soon as i got the vehicle back from Tuning Gruppe in Tempe AZ. I've brought it in to them since and when hooked to the VCDS there is no codes.

Could it be a tune issue? Could some parameters have been tuned incorrectly? If it were a sensor issue would it not show up in the scan?

DivineChaos

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk6 jetta sportwagen tdi
"fans run the entire time the key is ON, and continue to run for a while after the engine is OFF"

My 2010 TDI JSW with tune delete is doing the same exact thing. It started as soon as i got the vehicle back from Tuning Gruppe in Tempe AZ. I've brought it in to them since and when hooked to the VCDS there is no codes.

Could it be a tune issue? Could some parameters have been tuned incorrectly? If it were a sensor issue would it not show up in the scan?
To fix mine, I would just pull the 50a fuse when the fan would kick on. It eventually stopped. I tried loading the other tune I had and it didn't do anything different. I also tapped on the fan controller. I think it's something wacko with the controller.

TurboABA

Top Post Dawg
TDI
RIP-2010 Jetta 6spd 2014 Touareg Execline
Have you guys contacted your tuners? I can only assume that there's some sort of temp related map\adjustment that they've overlooked or neglected to compensate for. How about mentioning the temps\conditions under which you are all experiencing this behavior? Do any of you have the ability to flash back to stock to "isolate" the tune as the potential issue?

oilhammer

TDI
In my case, it was not doing this immediately following the tune, and the customer's other TDI has an identical tune and has had no issues... not that this means anything.

DivineChaos

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk6 jetta sportwagen tdi
Have you guys contacted your tuners? I can only assume that there's some sort of temp related map\adjustment that they've overlooked or neglected to compensate for. How about mentioning the temps\conditions under which you are all experiencing this behavior? Do any of you have the ability to flash back to stock to "isolate" the tune as the potential issue?
I had my tune for months. And it just randomly started. So it wasn't the tune in my case. Something was tripping it. May have been a/c. Idk

DivineChaos

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk6 jetta sportwagen tdi
In my case, it was not doing this immediately following the tune, and the customer's other TDI has an identical tune and has had no issues... not that this means anything.
Was the same with me. Wasn't because of tune. And it was after the computers timed out.

TurboABA

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I'm suggesting the common denominator..... aka Tune
I'm also suspecting that some condition that one of the used map reads (temp, pressure, humidity, etc) may not have been met previously, and has only occurred recently. Other than the fact that all these specimens are tuned and didn't do it right off the start, there's no commonality.
This is why I'm suggesting a reflash to eliminate the tune.

TurboABA

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I just thought about an issue with my suggested approach.... if you're deleted as well, returning to pre-delete tune won't do efff all..... well, it might turn the fans off or return them to normal behavior, but it will probably throw a bunch of other CELs which will be even more annoying.
Sounds like you simply need to contact your tuner and potentially provide some logs of whatever they want to look into based on your symptoms.

DivineChaos

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk6 jetta sportwagen tdi
I just thought about an issue with my suggested approach.... if you're deleted as well, returning to pre-delete tune won't do efff all..... well, it might turn the fans off or return them to normal behavior, but it will probably throw a bunch of other CELs which will be even more annoying.
Sounds like you simply need to contact your tuner and potentially provide some logs of whatever they want to look into based on your symptoms.
That's the strange thing with my situation. Is that everything functions like it should under normal operating conditions. It is when the vehicle is not running ignition is off. And after all the modules timeout the fan will kick on high. It could be something in the coding that is tripping the fan. Just like if you stop a regen in the middle and shut the car down the fan will stay on until it reaches a certain temperature. Except in this case the fan stays on until the battery is dead

DivineChaos

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk6 jetta sportwagen tdi
I'm suggesting the common denominator..... aka Tune
I'm also suspecting that some condition that one of the used map reads (temp, pressure, humidity, etc) may not have been met previously, and has only occurred recently. Other than the fact that all these specimens are tuned and didn't do it right off the start, there's no commonality.
This is why I'm suggesting a reflash to eliminate the tune.
That does make sense, because we're all tuned by malone. That's the only common denominator

JELLOWSUBMARINE

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta Sportwagen, 6M, red/tan, navi, pano, 83 5m diesel pickup, 82 p/u trailer,.04 5.5 TDI Passat wagon (gone), 80,81,82 diesel p/u (gone), 80,82 sportruck (gone), 59 passthru bus (long gone), 79&87 westy (gone), 57 baja bug (long gone), 73 914
I'd go back to your wiggle test. If I'm not mistaken you said that effected a result?

fillupamerica

TDI
2010 sportswagen tdi
I've got a hold of the tuner and I'll keep you all posted. oilhammer You mention that there are 2 coolant temp sensors, one at the grill in front of the radiator and one at the head in a flange? Where exactly is this head/flange so I can be sure it's not my coolant temp sensor. Regardless, my can isn't throwing any codes or faults. So I'm assuming it's not a coolant temp sensor, but I'll replace that just to cover my bases.

TurboABA

Top Post Dawg
TDI
On your CJAA, there will be a G83 on the rad outlet and a G62 on the "opposite" corner at the back of the engine on the transmission side.

fillupamerica

TDI
2010 sportswagen tdi

DivineChaos

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk6 jetta sportwagen tdi
Are they identical coolant sensor?

the "opposite" corner, will it looks something like this? https://forums.tdiclub.com/index.php?media/coolant-sensor-color-picture.14009/full

At any rate, if these fail they would show a fault correct?
Originally the one at the end of my head was not reading. It was as if the sensor did not exist. I wiggled some wires and it made connection and worked fine again. It was around the same time that my radiator fan issue started happening. But it happened again even when the sensor was reading. That would make the fan want to run all the time when the engine is on. Doesn't make sense to me that it would run after every module times out.
I got to check engine light after that started happening for that sensor. But I had a coolant leak so that would might cause that sensor not to read.

TurboABA

Top Post Dawg
TDI

It may not necessarily throw a hard code, but you may be able to see weird temp readings on your cluster or "fluctuations", etc.
VCDS or any other diagnostic tool that can read\log values would confirm it.

TurboABA

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Log the output of both sensors with VCDS to see if they "read in the same ranges".
My Touareg has 3 of these sensors, and I went though a fiasco attempting to find the correct one to replace.

TurboABA

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Here's my 3L dramafest chasing that mofo down.....