Rack and pinion diagram

cochrank

TDI
2002 Jetta
I am going to take on the task of trying to rebuild my rack and pinion. I bought the kit for ~$30 and was going to see if I could rebuild (I like to think of myself as pretty mechanically inclined so I thought I would give it a shot). I looked online and on youtube to see if there was anything but there is nothing for a VW (maybe I should take that as a hint). I started tearing it down and so far it does not seem to bad. I just ran into a snag and I do not know if I have to take a cap off one side (if it even comes off). It sort of looks like it may but I was wondering if anybody has a diagram of the rack and pinion for a MKIV. Before I wreck it I would like to see if the thing even comes off.

troyg54

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf, 2000, Black
I don't have anything to add about how easy/hard it would be, but I sure would like to know your thoughts after you finish the work. My rack is making a bit of noise and I'd consider rebuilding it if it wasn't too bad of a job.

Let us know how it goes.

cochrank

TDI
2002 Jetta
Group, just wanted to give an update on this. To answer one question I purchased the rebuild kit from Amazon. it was ~$30. Well using the diagram I was able to pretty easily pull apart the rack an pinion. A few things though. At the one end there is a wire ring similar to an internal snap ring. On the older models there is a hole that can be used to "push" this ring around and out so you can remove the seal. On these units there is not so I hade to use a grinder to make a hole/slot to do this. Was not to hard but be careful. After removing the ring the unit pretty much fell apart. The only other issue I had was removing the internal seal and plastic backer. I was able to use a small push rod to get the plastic backer out (it sits in front of the seal) and the using a long screwdriver I was able to get behind the seal enough to bend it so my pushrod would push the seal out as well. This is where everything stopped. When I was finally able to get it all apart I looked at the piston rod and found that since one of the boots on the rack an pinion was bad it pitted the unit. This is what destroyed the seal in the first place. With that I could not rebuild so I ended up just purchasing a rebuilt unit from Detroit axel on ebay. ~$179 with a lifetime warranty if you return the core. Then they give you a $25 r3fund so the unit is really only ~$150. no hassle and warranty.

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
Interesting, thanks for posting back.
I've always wondered why folks weren't rebuilding these, like on other cars.
Though it's a much simpler unit than a turbo or pump, much like those, the parts are not readily available.
I'd try to get my money back from Amazon, they have no business selling stuff like that, they're basically passing along 3rd party junk.

gforce1108

Top Post Dawg
TDI
04 Jetta GLS BEW, 14 Audi A7 V6 TDI, 13 Porsche Cayenne V6 TDI
Very interesting - when the rack went in my Ex's beetle, I bought a reman from NAPA since I couldn't find a rebuild 'kit'. Glad I didn't waste my money (similar failure).

My Jetta looses a couple ounces a year - not enough to worry about right now, but I was hoping to replace a seal instead of the whole rack.