Racing idle

Dslbeet

TDI
I have a 99 beetle 1.9 ALH, I replaced the 2 cover gasket’s on the injection pump. It cleared the air out, and now the idle just races up like she’s gonna blow. Please help????

sirksla

TDI
golf 6 tdi
I actually replaced the head o-ring a couple of years ago and the quantity adjuster seal just started leaking during our first big snow fall here in Southern Ontario, Canda.
Tutuapp 9Apps Showbox

Last edited:

GlowBugTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Beetle GLS TDI (BIODSL). 01 original Glow Bug TDI (sold)
Did you mark the covers before removing them? You may need to do the "hammer mod" to wack that cover back to normal idle. I believe you wack left to lower idle, but do your research first.

burpod

teh stallionz!!1
TDI
82 rabbit vnt ahu, 98 jetta vnt ahu, 05 parts car, 88 scirocco.. :/
It sounds like you didn't get that "pin" in the control collar when putting the qa back on - will cause to race out of control to redline. It's a little tricky to put it back on, try again 🙂

Dslbeet

TDI
After some patience, I got it to smooth out and idle right at 900 rpm. It’s extremely sensitive, but I seem to have better performance after replacing those gaskets. Thank you for your help!

Mozambiquer

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2004 VW Touareg V10 TDI, 2012 Audi Q7 V6 TDI, 1998 VW Jetta TDI. 1982 VW Rabbit pickup, 2001 VW Jetta TDI, 2005 VW Passat wagon TDI X3, 2001 VW golf TDI, 1980 VW rabbit pickup,
Your IQ is too high, you need to adjust it down to get it to idle down.

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
you can not go off idle to set the QA. if it is within its normal range 3 to 7 or even within its full limit, 2 to 9 the car should idle exactly the same regardless of what its set at. If you have a high idle like you said, you are WAY past the limit of where it should be.
Seeing as you claim it runs better and has more performance i would guess you are nearly at the bottom of the limit, about 2. anything lower and it will idle rough or not run.

So far i see no mention of the values or any indication you are using VCDS
100% of what you are doing is guesswork especially with what happened.
you MUST have VCDS to get things correct.
if its running, then you are somewhere in the value that wont hurt anything but your MPG may suffer. Also if you go low on your IQ like that you need to advance the timing a bit!

IMO i have never heard of these engines reving out like that with what you did. You must have gone really far! the ECU compensates for all IQ settings within range at idle. its really only at higher RPMS under load that the IQ does anything. Idle you will have no clue by ear or rpms

Dslbeet

TDI
I have to borrow a vag-com I’ll have it in a few days. Everything I did was guess work. I didn’t realize what I was getting into. Just like anything else, I keep going until I figure it out. I’m just trying to get it back to stock settings. 🤞I appreciate every bit of info I get in this forum. 🙏

burpod

teh stallionz!!1
TDI
82 rabbit vnt ahu, 98 jetta vnt ahu, 05 parts car, 88 scirocco.. :/
uh, if he replaced the seals and didn't get the QA thingie into the collar thinga-ma-bob right, it will rev out of control when he fires it up. sounds like that's what happened, not a fine-tuning IQ adjustment... which of course would still need to happen.

csstevej

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 golf tdi 4 door auto now a manual, mine, 2000 golf 2 door M/T son's,daughters 98 NB non-TDI 2.0, 2003 TDI NB for next daughter, head repaired and on road,gluten for punishment got another tdi 2001NB,another yellow tdi NB
Yep exactly as burped described……happened to me when I did my daughters IP seals….. soon as it started it started to accelerate to red line……killed it with ignition switch to off and made sure ASV closed.
popped the cover off and sure as hell I missed the collar……and it’s not the first pump I’ve resealed , easy to miss the collar.

Dslbeet

TDI
Yes indeed! I originally missed the collar.
now it’s close. I just need vag-com now.