racers: we need your help!

tdipoet

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'11 Jetta TDI
here's the scoop.

we'd very much like to have a racing/drag event at the fest that involves the cars themselves. we're thinking about a format similar to years past where folks go to the strip and can either participate or pay a small fee to spectate.

the problem is, none of us are really racers. there does not seem to be a venue in the area for us to hold such an event, nor do we know what is required for something of this nature.

so what we are looking for is information from those of you who might have it, particularly information specific to the area where the fest will be held. we do already have a racing event at F1, the kart race, and it will be an utter blast, but we'd like to try and cater to the tdi performance crowd as well, if possible.

thanks in advance!

TDIMeister

Phd of TDIClub Enthusiast, Moderator at Large
TDI
TDI
How about an autocross event? The North East chapter of the SCCA should have lots of events scheduled; probably there will be one not far from the Fest venue on the same weekend. If so, I'll be there! /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Chmeeee

Veteran Member
TDI
-
There is in fact an SCCA AutoX that very day at Fort Devens in Ayer (about an hour west of Boston). Here is the link to the schedule:

http://www.ner.org/soloII/2004schedsolo.html

The problem with this idea, while awesome, is that it will obliterate the day for anybody who chooses to participate. You have to be there by 7:30 or so usually, and you will be there until at least 4:00. That said, its a helluva lot of fun, and a good way to learn your car's limits in a safe environment. It would be fun too to show up with a contingent of TDIs, see how many faster cars we can beat. ;-) Last time I went I beat a Z06 (even before applying the factor for H-stock). /images/graemlins/eek.gif

whiterabbit7

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Golf GLS 201k miles
I'm up for the friday night drag! That way it doesnt detract from the rest of the TDIfest schedule. It would be great if we can get a large group of us there. Plus, I have never taken my car to the track before, of any kind. I've been really wanting to now that I have been chipped and hope to soon have new injectors
The SCCA event is a good idea, but usually to participate you have to be a member which costs around $30, plus the event fee. And, as already mentioned, it is an all day thing.

tdipoet

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'11 Jetta TDI
we will provide information and directions to the dragway event to anyone who will be up that evening and is interested.