RaceChip Pro?

m1ketdi

Veteran Member
TDI
Leon BKD
I would rather buy a remap from a tuner than spend almost as much on a crappy box that just tricks your ecu.

Grede

Veteran Member
TDI
Skoda Citigo, Hyundai I30 1.6diesel
one tuner here in denmark is a retailer from racechip, he does OBD's, tuningboxes, utunes aso.
he did some testing on a 105hp seat as a reference point, but the max hp and torque was very narrow and there where no nice curves on the dyno.

But RaceChip may be a solution to the cars that there is no way to tune just yet.
The 1.2 CR 3 cylinder 75hp/195nm sitting in the skoda greenline just to mention one.
http://www.racechip.de/racechip-chiptuning/Skoda-Fabia-II-1-2-TDI-CR-3897-r.html
making 94hp and 260nm for that kind of a small motor is quite good.

tdi-do-over

TDI
2011 Golf TDI 4dr Manual
I would rather buy a remap from a tuner than spend almost as much on a crappy box that just tricks your ecu.

Did you have bad experience with this tuning box? Or are you just making judgment with out any knowledge? This company seems to be quite reputable and I am not interested in voiding my 5yr60,000mile powertrain warranty. Any non authorized changes to the ecu leaves VW in the drivers seat and me out in the cold if I have a problem. VW in the USA is not so great:mad:.

tdi-do-over

TDI
2011 Golf TDI 4dr Manual
one tuner here in denmark is a retailer from racechip, he does OBD's, tuningboxes, utunes aso.
he did some testing on a 105hp seat as a reference point, but the max hp and torque was very narrow and there where no nice curves on the dyno.

But RaceChip may be a solution to the cars that there is no way to tune just yet.
The 1.2 CR 3 cylinder 75hp/195nm sitting in the skoda greenline just to mention one.
http://www.racechip.de/racechip-chiptuning/Skoda-Fabia-II-1-2-TDI-CR-3897-r.html
making 94hp and 260nm for that kind of a small motor is quite good.
Thanks for the reply. They list impressive results with all the cars listed on their web site. I was hoping someone that is using this could report what their impressions are?:D

m1ketdi

Veteran Member
TDI
Leon BKD
Did you have bad experience with this tuning box? Or are you just making judgment with out any knowledge? This company seems to be quite reputable and I am not interested in voiding my 5yr60,000mile powertrain warranty. Any non authorized changes to the ecu leaves VW in the drivers seat and me out in the cold if I have a problem. VW in the USA is not so great:mad:.
I have not had a bad experience with this tuning box. But I know the principles upon which most of them work.

Fair enough if you want some power without losing your warranty though, saves the hassle of changing an ecu back to stock if you do have a problem.

tdi-do-over

TDI
2011 Golf TDI 4dr Manual
another In-line box

I found this company also. They also seem to be quite reputable with TuV certification. The RaceChip Pro also claims TuV certification.
http://www.diesel-performance.co.uk/volkswagen-vw-diesel-tuning.html

I am considering both of these since they are not traceable. Both websites claim they do not have an impact on wear and tear. I am also interested in these since they can be used on other cars if they are set up with the specific software for each car. This gives them more vaule.

I am hopeful that someone with experience will be able to give me some feedback.:p

tdi-do-over

TDI
2011 Golf TDI 4dr Manual
I have not had a bad experience with this tuning box. But I know the principles upon which most of them work.

What is your objection to the principles of how they work? Not many people have any information at all let alone how they attempt to achieve a positive result.

bthor

TDI
2010 jetta
I bought this one from Paul at Kermatdi

http://www.kermatdi.com/servlet/-strse-631/DIESEL-POWER®-Performance-Module/Detail

for sale at Christmas. Will not have time to install till the end of January. Sent e-mail to jet & all others - only two box's have two signal imputs (CR & BOOST) - -would suggest two signal box. I didn't do flash as VW would most likely use it as an excuse to get off the hook if anything happened. ---Told Paul I would do evaluation/write up at time permits.
b:eek:
http://www.kermatdi.com/servlet/-strse-631/DIESEL-POWER®-Performance-Module/Detail

tdi-do-over

TDI
2011 Golf TDI 4dr Manual
Looks great

That looks like a great product. It is about 2X the cost of the racechip pro. I am looking foward to your review of it:)

DSLFAN

Veteran Member
TDI
01 Beetle
Just a heads up, any performance modification could potentially void your warranty. So unless you are prepared to pay, don't play. Increase in timing, fuel pressure, boost, etc. can all be determined by VW should you have a catastrophic failure. And if you give them any reason to void the warranty, they will (as they should, IMHO).

tdi-do-over

TDI
2011 Golf TDI 4dr Manual
Just a heads up, any performance modification could potentially void your warranty. So unless you are prepared to pay, don't play. Increase in timing, fuel pressure, boost, etc. can all be determined by VW should you have a catastrophic failure. And if you give them any reason to void the warranty, they will (as they should, IMHO).

You must work for VW. Any one who believes that VW AG USA has any level of integrity has never had a run in with them. They are the most sleazy people I have ever dealt with. I have had all kinds of things happen to me and I have never dealt with sleaze like VW AG USA.:eek:
If you read the thread I make it clear that I am not interested in making hard changes to the car. When I was in Europe I was amazed at the mods people made to the cars within reason that were sold by VW dealers. The USA is 10 to 12 years behind in all aspects of automotive technology. This is a very sad reality. If I could buy a diesel powered Smart that achieved 70mpg that is what I would drive it. If I could buy a 65mpg VW bluetec Polo I would buy it. The USA will not let either of these cars to be sold here. I wonder why????:mad: If I have catastrophic failure due to a slight increase in HP and torque than there is something wrong with the design and engineering of the car.

If you have actual experience with any of products mentioned in this thread being detrimental to the cars than I would love to hear it. If not than keep your melodramatic doom and gloom baseless opinions to yourself. I am tired of this forum wasting my time with baseless conjecture.

I have had people respond to threads that were filled with great information and I can only hope that is what this thread continues to be.
:D:eek::)

Tdi do over

Last edited:

DPM

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2019 Rav4 AWD Hybrid, Citroen C4 BlueHDI

What is your objection to the principles of how they work? Not many people have any information at all let alone how they attempt to achieve a positive result.
Plenty of people know how they work, although it seems you're not one of them. CR- boxes generally fool the rail pressure sensor's output to the ECU. Some (few) intercept the boost pressure also. Even fewer (PSI, don't even know if they're still made) intercept each injector's signal individually in real time.

That box you're interested in looks like it's a single-channel digital box (rail pressure only) It's certainly better than an analogue- or dumb resistor- box and appears to be good value. If warranty truly isn't an issue, the overall precision of a full bespoke remap is likely to produce better results, tho.

tdi-do-over

TDI
2011 Golf TDI 4dr Manual
Thanks

Plenty of people know how they work, although it seems you're not one of them. CR- boxes generally fool the rail pressure sensor's output to the ECU. Some (few) intercept the boost pressure also. Even fewer (PSI, don't even know if they're still made) intercept each injector's signal individually in real time.

That box you're interested in looks like it's a single-channel digital box (rail pressure only) It's certainly better than an analogue- or dumb resistor- box and appears to be good value. If warranty truly isn't an issue, the overall precision of a full bespoke remap is likely to produce better results, tho.

Thank you for the explanation. :) I agree a remap would have a better result but I have experienced VW at its worst. So the performance gain is achieved purely through increase in rail pressure. Seems very simple.

FleshY

TDI
2.0 Golf 5 2005
Hello to everyone, i can see that this tread is very old, so sorry for making it alive,

I own Audi A4 B8 2.0 tdi 120 hp, and i have decided to get from racechip box, http://www.racechip.com/chiptuning/a...88kw/index.php i took the racepro2 version, The installation was very easy. I have warmed the engine and went for a spin, RIGHT away MORE POWER, around 1.800 or 1.900rpm you are just "pushed" forward, the car is more alive and more responsive. NOW the question is, i have read try the forums nothing but bad experience, BUT not a single one from someone who owns and uses racechip box. Now i feel kind of ****ty....should i take it out or should i leave it. Just to say: I am not driving in "race mode" i just use the power for over taking, from 2.000rpm until 3.000 rpm, how i think should be driven every diesel. Tnx ppl and will be helpful if anyone has to say something about it.

bbexotics

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Passat,2006 Jetta, 2003 Jetta wagon, 2017 Cayman S
The only (2) boxes that are proven are the PSI and Digi box.Have tried them myself and they definately work.You should be able to find them in germany or england.Here the digi is sold by Parsleys motor.Sometimes you can find used ones for half the price of new.Advantages are they :are easily removed when vehicle is sold,and also removed while car is under warranty.

fqm3

TDI
2011 Jetta TDI
I have tried both of the products mentioned in this thread on a 2010 and 2011 Jetta VW with 6-speed manual transmission.

http://www.parleysdieselperformance...-for-2009-2010-vw-audi-2-0l-3-0l-tdi-vehicles

https://www.racechip-usa.com/products/racechip-pro2/

I do not have metrics to prove it but there is definitely a modest power gain. I leave it one notch above the default setting. Most noticeable is the engine response when starting at first gear. I used to find myself stepping on the accelerator harder compared to a gas engine to avoid stalling. These modules definitely significantly minimized the diesel/turbo lag.

Installation of both is identical. I would go with the RaceChip. Lower cost, similar performance.

amgff1984

TDI
2011 Jetta Sportwagen TDI
Thanks for the reply. They list impressive results with all the cars listed on their web site. I was hoping someone that is using this could report what their impressions are?:D
Almost 10 years late here, but I have been using a RaceChip for almost a year and there is a difference on my post diesel-gate JSW. There is less clacking from the engine and it feels smoother. There seems to be a better overall driving experience with more power. These claims are obviously of my own opinion from my experience. No proven results as I don't think it's worth putting on a dyno.

This is a good option for those of us with the post diesel gate cars so we don't void our new/extended manufacturer warranty. However, Kerma makes a remap for this and the DSG with both to be had for about 1000 USD, maybe less. Both options allow for more performance without compromising the emissions.

The Kerma tune is around 5/600 USD and my RaceChip was half the cost, and it only makes sense to get the device if you only plan on getting the lowest model, as the top model of the tuning box costs just as much as the Kerma tune.

I bet you could get a sportier feel with just the DSG tune, instead of any box or engine tune that hardly gives any real measurable performance.

My JSW is lowered on sport springs, so almost no real drop, but with the power of the TDI, the DSG, and the sportier suspension, really make this car fun to drive.

Finally, I unplugged my RaceChip for about a week at one point and didn't like the experience so I ended up plugging it back in and adjust the setting to give more fuel. No noticeable drop in economy, but no gain either.

So that concludes my ten year later 2 cents.