Race DPFs

TheoSweden

Veteran Member
TDI
A3Q,A4Q, Passat Biturbo TDI
Hi!

I cant find any post about these so I start one.

Anyone here that have any experience with these on a really tuned engine?
A few companies sell these but here is an example:

Do they work good?

adjat84th

Veteran Member
TDI
'01 Jetta TDI/'15 Golf TDI
Interesting, a couple of v-bands added to this and the downpipe would make for easy replacement. Having a way to do manual regens would be necessary, as well a way to monitor the pressure pre/post to know when to regen.

TheoSweden

Veteran Member
TDI
When you race you do a regen all the time so thats no issue... Im between 700 and 900deg EGT.
Im thinking if its enough to place it a bit further back on the exhast for better weight distribution.

adjat84th

Veteran Member
TDI
Good point, I was thinking about multi-use purpose and not dedicated race conditions. I know my current downpipe has the flex piece on the vertical section so something like this would have to go further away from the turbo. Not sure how fast EGTs reduce within the exhaust path. The inspectors in my area are cracking down a bit on emissions compliance, so something like this could help me out.

arazvan2002

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi A4 B6 1.9TDI AVF quattro
Seems to be the same on Darkside. Maybe Ryan knows more about it. I;m curious if it really does something like a DPF (will pass an eventual emission test for Euro 5) or is just another sport catalytic converter.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
Yeah, it's a dpf, not a catalytic converter. Personally, like the idea of not blinding and fumigating everyone at the track with clouds of black smoke. Doubtful that it would meet the emissions standards for street cars.

adjat84th

Veteran Member
TDI
Interesting the DS unit says it can work on a car without regen cycles as long as the filter temp can maintain 300C by placing as close to the turbo as possible. It's also not to exceed 800C, so I'd be curious how much EGTs go down between turbine inlet and outlet. 900-935C is max turbine inlet temp.

TheoSweden

Veteran Member
TDI
Interesting the DS unit says it can work on a car without regen cycles as long as the filter temp can maintain 300C by placing as close to the turbo as possible. It's also not to exceed 800C, so I'd be curious how much EGTs go down between turbine inlet and outlet. 900-935C is max turbine inlet temp.
Measured many years ago and if Im not wrong with that VNT20 setup I had the difference before/after turbo was 100-200deg C.

If I try this DPF I will measure both temp and pressure before filter.

Theo

TheoSweden

Veteran Member
TDI
Yeah, it's a dpf, not a catalytic converter. Personally, like the idea of not blinding and fumigating everyone at the track with clouds of black smoke. Doubtful that it would meet the emissions standards for street cars.
My track car is surprisingly smoke free but I think the same.. And What I heard so far those filters doesnt clean up a really smokey car, but probably a almost smoke free one. And thats good enough for race-use.

Theo