Race 520 vs nictane .275?

CanadianALH

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta 5spd 2006 Jetta DSG (wifes)
How do these compare? I have a set of nictane .275 and considering installing in my bhw/alh hybrid with pd170 bv43. Too much fuel?
With a proper tune they should be fine. Burpod can tune you to run .260s totally stock.

burpod

teh stallionz!!1
TDI
82 rabbit vnt ahu, 98 jetta vnt ahu, 05 parts car, 88 scirocco.. :/
i'm still not even sure what the actual hole size is of race 520s.. supposedly .260ish? either way, you can run those with a vnt15 done right, no big deal. the biggest problem is knowing reliably how much nozzles are flowing so you can get the duration/timing maps right....

it's only too much fuel if the tune is messed up and thus letting too much fuel thru. other than that, big nozzles you can get some very nice benefits of running a tune using a lot less advance per the IQ. thats the beauty of it. drives soooo nice done right

BustedBolts

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 and 2002 Golf's
With properly set pop pressures, "bigger" injectors run amazing especially if you can keep duration values similar to stock settings.

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
Tacoma 4x4 converted to TDI
With properly set pop pressures, "bigger" injectors run amazing especially if you can keep duration values similar to stock settings.
Might toss them in and see how it does. These were setup by dbw years ago but are brand new, even new banjo style bodies. The pp502s i have on there now are at least 400k miles old.

Rrusse11

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf, 5spd; 05 Jeep CRD
Thanks BB, when I had my 230 Wuzetems set up, I asked for the shop who installed the nozzles to set them
to the high end of their tolerances. I was advised that this may retard timing a bit, which it did, but not by
much. I should've been bolder and asked for circa 240/340 or so, IIRC stock is 220/300.
After ~5 years or so, I suspect actual pressures have lowered as springs have weakened.

Cheers!

burpod

teh stallionz!!1
TDI
i believe it would help to have higher pops, maybe like 240/320 or so. but AFAIK the pump puts out a fixed amount of pressure (but varying on rpm), so it doesn't make sense to me it would make a huge impact. there's going to be a very very short amount of time where the pressure is lower. the rest of the tune is going to make the largest difference, without a doubt. i know my daily has .260s from xman/powertdi and those should be right about 220-230/300/310 and it drives fantastic. getting the rest of the tune right is really the bulk of the work. remember, with such short injection times, you better be running some more "retarded" timing..

burpod

teh stallionz!!1
TDI
what does that even mean? you want to get IQ to be correct across the rpm band, has nothing to do with "stock settings"

PakProtector

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk.4's and the Cummins
The actual fuel pressure is going to be significantly higher than the pop through most of the rpm range. It would be neat to see this plot, but examine kw vs mg/str....at some point those pumps hit the 27000 psi they're rated for. Put 1043 on and no doubt that pressure curve changes. Same goes for the ALH sort and the 404/414 pump choice.

Douglas

BustedBolts

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 and 2002 Golf's
what does that even mean? you want to get IQ to be correct across the rpm band, has nothing to do with "stock settings"
I should have specified better. I meant peak pump volts can be kept close to what is specified in the stock tune, but MG delivered is much greater. Also if you use an occilliscope and afr sensor you can see that pump volts to physical duration vary a lot between different injectors.

Rrusse11

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf, 5spd; 05 Jeep CRD
My thought, rightly or wrongly, is that higher pops mean less duration, with less flow, and better atomisation.

Last edited: