R5 TDI in the Passat

ExalyThor

TDI
Passat B5 AFN 110hp
Hello, can the R5 TDI found in the Audi 100 be mounted in the Passat? Would it fit? It would be quite the powerplant compared to the V6.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
In a B2 Passat? Probably. Those used inline 5 cyl engines from the factory. The B1 did not. The B3 and B4 are transverse, and likely too small. The B5 no, not enough room. B6, probably as those are essentially an A5 which got transverse 5 cyl gas engines. We never got the B7, we got the NMS Passat instead, which also got inline 5 gas engines transverse. So I guess you really should narrow down your question as to which platform Passat you are talking about.

ExalyThor

TDI
Passat B5 AFN 110hp
In a B2 Passat? Probably. Those used inline 5 cyl engines from the factory. The B1 did not. The B3 and B4 are transverse, and likely too small. The B5 no, not enough room. B6, probably as those are essentially an A5 which got transverse 5 cyl gas engines. We never got the B7, we got the NMS Passat instead, which also got inline 5 gas engines transverse. So I guess you really should narrow down your question as to which platform Passat you are talking about.
I mean, is it necessary to tell which Passat I'm referring to? "https://i.ibb.co/7WRcY9p/Untitled.png"

oilhammer

TDI
No, we can just guess. We have seven choices (as I've outlined above). ;)

Since there is no older Passat sections here, that may be why you posted in this particular forum.

But since we've narrowed it down... no, you cannot fit an inline 5 cyl under the hood of the B5 Passat. The inline 4 barely fits. Maybe with some extensive modifications you could, but probably not worth it. You'd be better served just modding up a 4 cyl, even if it meant twin turbochargers (which is exactly what VAG themselves has done).

ExalyThor

TDI
Passat B5 AFN 110hp
I guess damn VW for not making diesel VR5s and 6s then :). Maybe I'll be attempting that once I have money to burn. I am curious because swapping engines in my country is fairly difficult, but making swaps with engines of the same fuel type and similar capacity is easier to pull off.

oilhammer

TDI
The VR engines are chain chucking turds. And they did a prototype VR6 diesel but thankfully it never made it to production. The belt driven 038 type 4 cyl diesels really are the best of the bunch.