.:R32 to .:R-TDI Build Thread

danielhf

Veteran Member
TDI
None anymore...
I have a picture in my build thread where you can see my Air box, that is a solution if your willing to mod some, and that dont seem to be a problem. It could be done nicer/cleaner than my install ofcourse.
Good luck with a solution.

/Theo, in the US at the moment :)
I liked what you did. I may just do that. Where is the US are you?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3L3M3NT

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Jetta GLS TDI, 04 RTDI
Awesome swap Daniel;) It's great that you were able pull this off and especially with the time crunch.

Just wondering what kind of mileage you saw on your trip out?

TheoSweden

Veteran Member
TDI
A3Q,A4Q, Passat Biturbo TDI
Its a pretty easy job. I just took some glass fibre and polyester and "wrapped in" a 3,5" pipe. Then a hose down to a steinless pipe going down to lower grill, fits precise atleast on Audi A3. But battery have to go somewhere else with this install.

Im in NYC, first time over here, would love to see west coast also.

danielhf

Veteran Member
TDI
None anymore...
Awesome swap Daniel;) It's great that you were able pull this off and especially with the time crunch.

Just wondering what kind of mileage you saw on your trip out?
33-38MPG with average speeds over 80MPH and a fully loaded car. I was pretty happy with that.

TheoSweden said:
Its a pretty easy job. I just took some glass fibre and polyester and "wrapped in" a 3,5" pipe. Then a hose down to a steinless pipe going down to lower grill, fits precise atleast on Audi A3. But battery have to go somewhere else with this install.

Im in NYC, first time over here, would love to see west coast also.
I'm originally from NYC. I love it out there. If you can ever make it out to the west coast, let me know and we will get together. I have only been here for a short time, but I can't say enough great things about Northern California.

Alcaid

Veteran Member
TDI
See signature
Love this conversion! I've had a PD150 4Motion earlier, now a PD130 4Motion so I know how sweet the PD/4M combo is :)

danielhf

Veteran Member
TDI
None anymore...
Love this conversion! I've had a PD150 4Motion earlier, now a PD130 4Motion so I know how sweet the PD/4M combo is :)
Thanks! I'm jealous that you can purchase factory-made 4motion PD TDIs. I had to make my own!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kooyajerms

grocery getter
TDI
97 B4V (mine), 11 x5 35d (hers) 04 V10 (that one you want), 2014 Q7 (mom's) 74 Shasta 1400
Looks good Daniel, let me know when you drive on south and we can compare aluminum pipe.

Cheers

danielhf

Veteran Member
TDI
None anymore...
Just posted this in Power Enhancements, but here is a copy of my dyno thread post, just to keep it with this conversion thread.

Drove to Las Vegas, NV today and met up with vwmikel for some time on a local AWD Mustang dyno.

The dyne operator told us that the last R32 that came in for a dyne put down 160HP until he disconnected the drive shaft, which brought the car up into the 200s (car was stock). Hearing this, I was very certain that my dyno was going to be sub-200 AWHP.

246 AWHP 343 AWTQ

I was pretty surprised by the result. Mike and I discussed this and we feel that the lack in torque is from the Haldex AWD system. I was surprised at how high these numbers were, but Mike says this is a pretty accurate dyno (its also an eddy current dyno, unlike a Dyno Jet, so it should be pretty accurate).

We also tested with and without an air filter to see if it made any difference. We were unable to detect a difference.

Here's a video from the dyno session.

ryanp

Vendor
TDI
Arosa CR - 550hp - 9.7 @ 150mph 1/4 Mile, Citigo 4x4 CR TDi - 340hp, Caddy 2.0 CR 4x4 TDI - 300+hp, Golf Mk2 Van 1.9 TDI - was 290hp, Mk5 Ibiza 2.0 FR TDi - 270hp, BMW 135d - 360hp, BMW 330d - 335hp, BMW 335d - 380hp + a few more ........
Nice numbers! Now you need to give it a clean and get me some nice photos to stick on the website :)

Ry

3L3M3NT

Veteran Member
TDI
Great numbers. I'm sure it's a blast to drive with that kind of power and be able to put it to the ground without worrying about tire spin.

danielhf

Veteran Member
TDI
None anymore...
Wow that spooled quick, and it sounds like surge too :)
It does spool quickly. Do you think it actually was surging?

Nice numbers! Now you need to give it a clean and get me some nice photos to stick on the website :)

Ry
Will do. It's not the cleanest R32 out there, that's why I bought it, but I will try to get some shots of it soon for you!

Great numbers. I'm sure it's a blast to drive with that kind of power and be able to put it to the ground without worrying about tire spin.
Thank you! It's a monster. Between the 4motion and the LSD, I have yet to spin the tires, but I have also not attempted an AWD launch (Mike added launch control to my tune). I'm a bit scared to launch it and break something, but there's only one way to find out... ;)

Fix_Until_Broke

Top Post Dawg
TDI
03 Jetta, 03 TT TDI
I assume the video was the run with the airbox disconnected? It does have a little cha-cha-cha sound (and a lot of smoke) when you stand on it. I don't know enough to know if it's surge or not - does the boost gauge dip/flutter when it does that?

I bet it's a blast to drive!

TheoSweden

Veteran Member
TDI
A3Q,A4Q, Passat Biturbo TDI
I have done 100s of 4000+rpm launches and its no problem as long as you have a great clutch :) Everything breaks sometime but they seem to hold up fine!

danielhf

Veteran Member
TDI
None anymore...
I assume the video was the run with the airbox disconnected? It does have a little cha-cha-cha sound (and a lot of smoke) when you stand on it. I don't know enough to know if it's surge or not - does the boost gauge dip/flutter when it does that?

I bet it's a blast to drive!
Boost gauge was intermittently working at this point so I am not sure, but Mike was watching the MAP sensor in VCDS during the run and he didn't mention seeing anything odd.

It is amazing to drive.

danielhf

Veteran Member
TDI
None anymore...
I have done 100s of 4000+rpm launches and its no problem as long as you have a great clutch :) Everything breaks sometime but they seem to hold up fine!
My clutch is good, but I still am using a dual mass flywheel, so I will hold off on the launches until that is replaced.

JFettig

Vendor
TDI
B5 Passat, 2010 Jetta
Mechanical boost gauges are a little better at seeing surge than VCDS, Between 2300 and 2700rpm is where I'd suspect surge based on your dyno sheet, you can hear what I think might be surge at 1:21-1:24 in the video.

3L3M3NT

Veteran Member
TDI
You don't by chance have a video of one of those launches? I've never heard/seen an AWD diesel launch.:eek:

My clutch is good, but I still am using a dual mass flywheel, so I will hold off on the launches until that is replaced.
I'm quite interested in seeing a video of you launching that thing.:cool:

Can launch control be added to any TDI?

Whitbread

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
Several
I've never heard/seen an AWD diesel launch.:eek
Anyone who got a ride in NoJoke's wagon with the AWD connected can vouch it's crazy :). 0-60 would be well under 5 depending on how hard you want to slam gears. I took a guy who's daily is a 98 twin turbo Porsche for a spin and even he said "damn, that thing launches hard".

Farfromovin

Torque Addict
TDI
03 Golf 2dr- PD150 6m
Daniel, awesome job! I want my car to be 4wd but can't afford either option to make that happen currently lol. I'm very interested in the "launch control" option. I'll have to talk with Mike about it later. So, when is the FW getting changed and which disk do you have again? I just got a 18lb wheel and stg 4 from Biochoppers and it should hold your cars torque pretty well, I like it so far. I've yet to do a hard launch either, too worried something expensive will break. Now that you have a real R, everything is expensive lol. Glad you fixed that silicone TIP causing issues. I can't wait to meet up at a GTG. I'm going to be gone for most of the year, but if I'm around for a GTG I'll take a couple days vacation and make a trip up North.

As far as gauges go, check out Autometer Elite's. I made a thread about them some time back. Also, my .02 says keep that stock filter and box on there. Better filtration, and protection for your engine and turbo. Plus, you just proved it makes no more power even without a filter. No brainer in my book. Just my .02 worth.

Last edited:

danielhf

Veteran Member
TDI
None anymore...
Daniel, awesome job! I want my car to be 4wd but can't afford either option to make that happen currently lol. I'm very interested in the "launch control" option. I'll have to talk with Mike about it later. So, when is the FW getting changed and which disk do you have again? I just got a 18lb wheel and stg 4 from Biochoppers and it should hold your cars torque pretty well, I like it so far. I've yet to do a hard launch either, too worried something expensive will break. Now that you have a real R, everything is expensive lol. Glad you fixed that silicone TIP causing issues. I can't wait to meet up at a GTG. I'm going to be gone for most of the year, but if I'm around for a GTG I'll take a couple days vacation and make a trip up North.

As far as gauges go, check out Autometer Elite's. I made a thread about them some time back. Also, my .02 says keep that stock filter and box on there. Better filtration, and protection for your engine and turbo. Plus, you just proved it makes no more power even without a filter. No brainer in my book. Just my .02 worth.
Thanks Phillip! 4WD is awesome, but unrealistically expensive to retrofit or swap into (I would know).

My clutch is an SBC stage 3 w/stock DMF (ran out of $$ during the first build after all of the trouble w/my ALH which prompted the PD). I do like the idea of going with one of Biochoppers's clutches, but I just don't have the money or the inclination to buy a new clutch kit and pull the transmission right now. Getting the 4motion trans out will require me to disconnect the down pipe, driveshaft, and a few other things in addition to the standard procedure. It's a genuine pain in the @$$. But when the new clutch kit is in there, you can launch it.

I have had nothing but issues from these McNally gauges, which is really a shame as they are excellent in theory. In practical application, they have been nothing but problems for me. I'm going to check out those Autometer Elite gauges. Also due to air box/TIP fitment issues, I swapped for the AEM dry cone. I know it's not the TDI Club approved air filtration system, but it makes the most sense to me right now.

Farfromovin

Torque Addict
TDI
03 Golf 2dr- PD150 6m
Your issues with McNally perfectly describe everyone I know who has had them, kind of like 034 Motorsports engine and dogbone mounts. Nice in theory...

JFettig

Vendor
TDI
B5 Passat, 2010 Jetta
My McNally has been reliable for over a year now.

Have you considered putting your "CAI" next to the CAI?

oldpoopie

Vendor
TDI
2001 golf gl, 2006 jetta, 1981 ALH swapped rabbit pickup, 1998 beetle
I have had nothing but issues from these McNally gauges, which is really a shame as they are excellent in theory. In practical application, they have been nothing but problems for me. I'm going to check out those Autometer Elite gauges.
I have nothing but amazing things to say about my ISSPRO Performax gauges. They now even have ones that will match the blue dash lights. Super easy to install.