R32 Blue calipers. Poll with Pics.

What are your thoughts on my R32 blue calipers.

• They look Good!

Votes: 9 19.6%
  • ehh... They're OK

Votes: 17 37.0%
  • Yuck, those are Hideous.

Votes: 20 43.5%

• Total voters

06SpiceRedTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Spice Red TDI Jetta, 2006.5 DSG Platinum Gray TDI
R32 Blue calipers, with Pics.

Alright, there is a guy that gives me a hard time at work because of the color of my calipers. I painted them the closest color I could find, (High Temp Paint) to R32 blue. I also painted my rear VW emblem the same color, as can be seen in my Avatar. What do you guys think??

Last edited:

SBAtdijetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'10 Jetta Cup 6spd, '02 Jetta Auto
I vote ok... I think you should have gone with GLI red... but thats just my opinion

BlueTDI2006

TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
SBAtdijetta said:
I vote ok... I think you should have gone with GLI red... but thats just my opinion
I have the graphite blue car...what would be a good colour to match? silver? I used to paint these and had luck with silver manifold paint...used on a 99 Firehawk I used to have...

maloosheck

Veteran Member
TDI
2K6 1K2 BRM, 2K8 7L6 BWF, 85 16 MF
Not my cup of tea. I am actually very thankful for these pictures, as I have Spice Red and wanted to install R32 brakes. I stick with Passat 4motion (same size, just not painted).

osomphane

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 VW Jetta BRM
I only voted yes, because I thought those were real r32 brakes :p

maloosheck said:
Not my cup of tea. I am actually very thankful for these pictures, as I have Spice Red and wanted to install R32 brakes. I stick with Passat 4motion (same size, just not painted).
Let me know how that goes! Should be a direct fit - rotors (1K0 615 301AA) - carriers (1K0 615 125-C) - calipers (1K0 615 124-C), right?

Last edited:

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta-sold
I voted ehh....ok. It's not the color, it's the design of our calipers that look bad. Porsche calipers look good in yellow, red, black, silver etc..because the caliper is good looking.

06SpiceRedTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
SBAtdijetta said:
I had originally wanted to color match the car but did not find any colors close to spice red in high temp paint, I think that GLI Red would clash.

SBAtdijetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
You are most likley right about the two different reds, black would have gone nicely though :cool:

TDI 4 RD

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 TDI Pkg 1
Just my humble opinion, but I think the blue/red combination doesn't work well. I think yellow calipers would look better. As for the emblem, I would return it to OEM. It looks a little like there's painter's tape underneath the emblem.

But otherwise, your car kicks a$$. Nice wheels.

1998993C2S

Veteran Member
TDI
2006.5 Jetta Pkg2 DSG Navi
If the blue calipers (OEM color) are what ya wanted, then by all means they look GREAT !

The Porsche car ordering/building process provides the cost option of brake caliper color. All three of our cars have black calipers, and one of the models I had to pay for this as a choice. For my .02, understated, or nondescript was the visual target. From a performance view point, nothing compares to world class brakes.

I'll chime in with your enthusiasm enhancing the Jetta TDI, and taking the effort in painting the tiny-winy brake calipers.

Last edited:

Jason D

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Graphite Blue 5 speed
Not my cup of tea, but its your car so if you want to paint them pink and put green polka-dots on it, go for it.

Personally, its ricey to me if that is possible with a Ger, er Mexican made car.

CADtechTDi

Veteran Member
TDI
'06 A5 Jetta 5 spd Pkg 1
OK, I won't go into a huge art/color lecture (do some Google searching more detail if you want) - but here's a good rule of thumb when looking at a basic 12-color wheel:

Mixing two Primary colors (Blue, Red, Yellow) create secondary colors green (B+Y), orange (R+Y) and violet (B+R).
Primaries and secondaries that lie across from each other on the wheel are "complimentary" - they make each other appear brighter when used together, but in some cases (such as red and green) can appear to "clash". Still awake, class?

Colors that lie next to each other are known as "harmonious" - like Red (primary) mixed with Orange (secondary) to make red-orange (a tertiary color). Most times, these harmonious colors are more pleasing to look at.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder - but some people's "eye" find no harmony in contrasting colors. Art is HIGHLY subjective.

You do what pleases your eye - but if you use colors that appear to clash, be prepared that not everyone will like it.

In this case, primary colors red and blue really appear to clash to me.

SBAtdijetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
BlueTDI2006 said:
I have the graphite blue car...what would be a good colour to match? silver? I used to paint these and had luck with silver manifold paint...used on a 99 Firehawk I used to have...
Not sure, but I have your same color though. "If" I were to get upgraded brakes I would go for black as my car is accented with black (black GLI grill & black side markers) or the GLI breaks w/ red ones.

Last edited:

06SpiceRedTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
CADtechTDi said:
OK, I won't go into a huge art/color lecture (do some Google searching more detail if you want) - but here's a good rule of thumb when looking at a basic 12-color wheel:

Mixing two Primary colors (Blue, Red, Yellow) create secondary colors green (B+Y), orange (R+Y) and violet (B+R).
Primaries and secondaries that lie across from each other on the wheel are "complimentary" - they make each other appear brighter when used together, but in some cases (such as red and green) can appear to "clash". Still awake, class?

Colors that lie next to each other are known as "harmonious" - like Red (primary) mixed with Orange (secondary) to make red-orange (a tertiary color). Most times, these harmonious colors are more pleasing to look at.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder - but some people's "eye" find no harmony in contrasting colors. Art is HIGHLY subjective.

You do what pleases your eye - but if you use colors that appear to clash, be prepared that not everyone will like it.

In this case, primary colors red and blue really appear to clash to me.
if this is the case then Green would be the complimentary color to Red, but I think this would look too much like Christmas. The five basic colors I see on calipers are Yellow= This would be to catsup and mustard looking with my red. Red= Such as the GLI stock brakes which would coorespond more with the Salsa red than it does with Spice. Black= Doesn't seem to pop. Silver= Stock. I choose the Blue because the R32 Caliper's are blue and I have gotten comments (More Good than Bad) in person on this color.

zanakas

Veteran Member
TDI
2005.5 Jetta 160k - original cam, clutch
maloosheck said:
And you, sir, are one overkilling crazy man.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-BCrgDlodDI

Watch the end...

BTW, what does the motor assembly on the caliper do on the Passat 4motion brakes do? ABS?

BBTW, if you're gonna go big (RS4), check these out!

http://www.ecstuning.com/stage/edpd...=2.0T&model=Golf V&submodel=&category=Braking

bottom of page, Cayenne Turbo brakes for your MkV!

Last edited:

zanakas

Veteran Member
TDI
2005.5 Jetta 160k - original cam, clutch
TDI 4 RD said:
If yellow is okay for Porsche and Ferrari, it's okay for me! :D I still think yellow would look good with this red, reminiscent of this car....

http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/444491.htm
The front-engined Ferraris (2 seat or 2+2) are simply the nicest cars ever built, but that one weighs way too much...

Oh, that' s the PRICE...

Last edited:

TDI 4 RD

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 TDI Pkg 1
zanakas said:
The front-engined Ferraris (2 seat or 2+2) are simply the nicest cars ever built, but that one weighs way too much...

Oh, that' s the PRICE...
Yeah, I agree - although the 599 GTB just slightly misses the mark aesthetically. The Alfa 8C's bodywork beats it, imho.

For bang for the buck, though, it's hard to beat the new Nissan GT-R.

Sorry, way off topic!

Marauderer

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta "Diesel Edition"
06SpiceRedTDI said:
I had originally wanted to color match the car but did not find any colors close to spice red in high temp paint, I think that GLI Red would clash.
It's your car! Are you pleased with the way it looks? If yes, tell the guy at work to take a hike that you like it. Sheesh, this is the USA and you still have the right to express yourself the way you want.