Quick out west roadtrip!

vwUMO

TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
2003 JSW TDI 5MT ,2012 Jetta TDI 6MT, 2013 jetta TDI 6MT
So, I'm burnt out from my day job and I can carve out next week for a trip out west. I'm flying solo and have about 6 days to kill. any recommendations? I'm leaving from Maine. I just want to throw a dart, so this is equivalent!

john.jackson9213

Top Post Dawg
TDI
1996 B4V
I just got back home from the TDIFest. With 6 days, I suggest you head for the Corvette National Museum in Bowling Green Kentucky. It was one of my stops.

From Maine, drive south along the Blue Ridge Parkway, turn west at the Cumberland Gap (I spent half a day at Cumberland Gap Historical Park). Head towards Bowling Green- take some state highways or U.S. highways for a more interesting route. Spend half a day at the Corvette Museum. Then take a different route home. I really enjoyed the drive.

SFHGolfTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jolf GLS TDI - Reflex Silver (purchased 2011) | Previously: 2001 Golf GL TDI - Indigo Blue (sold 2005)
Anything through big mountains. I would hit Colorado and the southwest. Or go north through Yellowstone, Montana, etc. (I haven't done that before).

vwUMO

TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
I just got back home from the TDIFest. With 6 days, I suggest you head for the Corvette National Museum in Bowling Green Kentucky. It was one of my stops.

From Maine, drive south along the Blue Ridge Parkway, turn west at the Cumberland Gap (I spent half a day at Cumberland Gap Historical Park). Head towards Bowling Green- take some state highways or U.S. highways for a more interesting route. Spend half a day at the Corvette Museum. Then take a different route home. I really enjoyed the drive.
Awesome John. I've ridden a lot of that on my bike and it's beautiful country! Glad you had a good ride home and thanks for the suggestion!

vwUMO

TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
Anything through big mountains. I would hit Colorado and the southwest. Or go north through Yellowstone, Montana, etc. (I haven't done that before).
I love all of that but it might be a stretch to get it all in... Although I am craving a x-mas covered enchiladas ;). I have a soft spot for New Mexico!

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Jetta wagon DSG 08/08 205k buyback 1/8/18; replaced with 2017 Golf Wagon 4mo 1.8l CXBB
take US 2 all the way. (where you can) when you get to the pacific, turn left, and come home as far south as you can stand.

cut through canada, either montreal to the soo, or lewiston-queenston bridge to Sarnia (Port Huron MI)

you can always call in sick if it takes longer than you think

where do you plan to stop? camping, hotels, or sleep in the car?

Last edited:

vwUMO

TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
take US 2 all the way. (where you can) when you get to the pacific, turn left, and come home as far south as you can stand.

cut through canada, either montreal to the soo, or lewiston-queenston bridge to Sarnia (Port Huron MI)

you can always call in sick if it takes longer than you think

where do you plan to stop? camping, hotels, or sleep in the car?
LMAO! Get a t-shirt for this guy! I could absolutely call in sick :) That trip does sound fun. I was unaware RT made it all the way to the pacific. I just learned something new! It sure makes the directions easy for me... Turn left on Rt. 2...... continue 3100 miles and you have reached your destination.... Make a legal u-turn... :)

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Jetta wagon DSG 08/08 205k buyback 1/8/18; replaced with 2017 Golf Wagon 4mo 1.8l CXBB
I would settle for a couple nice photos.

You do have to take a little detour between the state next door and the UP of Michigan

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
But keep in mind that the entire northern route is likely to be infested with leaf peepers this time of year.

so be prepared for a bit more traffic than you otherwise might expect.

qsabe

TDI
2011 Jetta Sportwagon
Program the navigator to ignore freeways and toll roads. Tell it to stay out of Canada. Leaving from the Acadia area go to Buffalo Ny for Wings at the Anchor Inn. Along the way be sure to stop on US-2 at the border with New Hampshire and listen to the tales from the old guys selling red hot dogs. ( Poor mans lobster :) Drive up Mt Washington and look around. Stop in Stowe Vt for some outlandishly expensive and not worth it food at the pub on the Mountain Road. Drive across the top of Massachusetts, stop at anything that looks interesting. In Niagara Falls, reprogram navigator to Baltimore for crab cakes. Eat your way up the east coast to home. That should take about a week. All mountain driving, the best and most fun in a VW TDI.