Quick instructions for oil change?

ZiggyTheHamster

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 VW Jetta TDI
Has anyone had leaking problems with the pan bolt???
It is said, it should be replaced each time, however I just got some new copper crush washers and plan to re-use the pan bolt - YES/NO ??
I'm going to hell, but I have reused the same washer/bolt every oil change. I'm at 75K miles.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
Put drain pan into garbage bag. Tie off really well. Put drain pan in garbage bag into another garbage bag. Tie off really well. Pack up another garbage bag, drive to AutoZone. Have them dump it. Place empty drain pan into clean garbage bag, dispose of dirty garbage bags. Tie off the clean one really well. Store the garbage bag / drain pan somewhere where it won't get rained on (so the oil doesn't run off). Also usually for me, AutoZone takes the oiled garbage bags. I suspect they throw them away, but I at least did my part by trying.
Or keep an empty washerfuild jug around to put the spent oil in, I imagine auto zone would just just as happy to take the jug vs cutting/dealing with those bags.

The last changed I did was at a DIY hobby garage 6/hr and that included a dolly/roller oil catcher and spent filter crusher.

I think all 4 of my OC have used the OEM original plug and washer. I'm thinking of going with a futmoto valve on the next OC.

Hornblower

TDI
2010 Jetta Sedan TDI
I had posted earlier in this thread about the amount of oil needed for a refill after changing the oil and filter. At that time, I was using an extractor only and the refill amount turned out to be 4L. Yesterday, I changed the oil and filter for the second time (at 20K miles). This time, I first extracted the oil both in the filter canister and through the dip stick tube but then, I also drained from the bottom. Maybe it's due to my extraction technique but I got about a quarter to a third of a liter more from the drain plug hole after all extracting. That being the case, I went ahead and installed a Fumoto Drain Valve (F106N with adapter) to simplify future oil changes. This is a nipple-type fitting and with about 6-8" of clear tubing, I believe I will be able to simply remove the back 3 Torx (T-30) screws to reach in and operate the drain valve. No more worries with drain plugs! BTW, the refill amount this time was around 4.3L to get me close to the top dip stick mark. Due to this experience, I will be draining my oil in the future and possibly using my extractor mainly for evacuating the filter canister.

ZiggyTheHamster

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 VW Jetta TDI
BTW, the refill amount this time was around 4.3L to get me close to the top dip stick mark. Due to this experience, I will be draining my oil in the future and possibly using my extractor mainly for evacuating the filter canister.
When I change the oil, it takes almost exactly 4L, but I just drain+fill. So ~300mL must be the amount of oil that I'm leaving in the system.

edge130

Veteran Member
TDI
Wife's 2009 Jetta TDI sedan (2009 - 2017)
Changed the oil today in 2009 Jetta TDI sedan, drained from underneath.
Four liters fills to proper level.
All previous oil changes done by the dealer resulted in overfilling-Amazing

Second time doing own oil change. Got the knack this time around replacing the lower engine cover. First time gave me trouble inserting the front section in, this time no trouble.
I really don't mind removing/replacing the cover anymore.

I purchased on ebay a nice torx screwdriver with the 4 torx bits stored in the handle. T25 & T30 sizes included.
The bits are good quality and engage the torx screws perfectly.

Last edited:

CoriolisSTORM

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta BRM DSG
Gents, I read an oil change article earlier that said there's supposed to be a spring in the oil filter housing. Is there? My 06 Jetta TDI doesn't have one.