Quick instructions for oil change?

grandpatim

TDI
06 Black Jetta TDI
I searched for this and didn't find it if it has already been posted.

I want to change my own oil on my 2006.5 Jetta 1.9 tdi DSG.
I bought the filter ($12 NAPA, and proper oil 505.01 type) and need to change it now.

I've changed the oil on all my cars/trucks religiously since age 16, but never had a vw, and this "ain't no spin off filter!". Is the filter up inside the engine pan? Quick instructions would be appreciated!

Gracias!
Tim

euromade

Veteran Member
TDI
Back to the gasser world
grandpatim said:
I searched for this and didn't find it if it has already been posted.

I want to change my own oil on my 2006.5 Jetta 1.9 tdi DSG.
I bought the filter ($12 NAPA, and proper oil 505.01 type) and need to change it now.

I've changed the oil on all my cars/trucks religiously since age 16, but never had a vw, and this "ain't no spin off filter!". Is the filter up inside the engine pan? Quick instructions would be appreciated!

Gracias!
Tim
yes, this filter is in a "cup" located on the top of the engine bay.

LF06VWJTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
06 MkV Jetta TDI
1. Use 32mm socket to remove bolt from oil filter. Unthread the oil filter located in the engine compartment. Take it out.

2. Use needle pliers to remove old gaskets and replace with new ones. Two of them. One top and one bottom.

3. Thread the new filter back into place.

4. Remove skid plate and get your oil pan ready. Use T30 torx to unscrew the back. Use T25 torx for the front.

5. Use a 19mm socket to unbolt the oil plug. Let oil drain completely.

6. REINSTALL THE PLUG AND TIGHTEN TO 20Nm

7. Reinstall skid plate

8. Put 4 liters of new oil from the upper engine compartment.

9. Measure it. You want it sliiiiiightly below full.

10. Cover back up. Enjoy your ride.

11. Next day, put another 1/3 liter to top it off.

12. You're good for another 8K-10K miles.

Hope this helps :)

PS: Thanks to WJDell for showing me how to do this.

Last edited:

tntdifan

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
19 mm socket for the oil pan plug.

The oil filter takes a 32 mm socket.

You need a torque wrench (cheap one is fine) to do this job properly. The oil pan is cast aluminum, and the threads will strip easily if you overtorque the plug.

LF06VWJTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
06 MkV Jetta TDI
grandpatim said:
That's great guys! Wow! LF06, Pics and all! THATS what I call a helpful reply! THANKS a ton Diesel pushers!
Actually, thanks to WJDell. He showed me the procedure step by step. ;)

grandpatim said:
Wait, looking at the pics, is that a torx head for the bolts holding the skid plate on? What size?
T30 back; T25 front. ;)

Last edited:

subdvr99

TDI
2006 BRM (Sold)
Sorry, not to hijack the thread but quick question...
Has anyone had any problems with using a Pella extractor on our MkVs to change the oil without getting under the car? If it worked fine, you wouldn't have to lift the car, remove the skid plate, or the drain plug. Anyone?

--Mark

Tim Birney

Veteran Member
TDI
05.5 TDI
subdvr99 said:
Sorry, not to hijack the thread but quick question...
Has anyone had any problems with using a Pella extractor on our MkVs to change the oil without getting under the car? If it worked fine, you wouldn't have to lift the car, remove the skid plate, or the drain plug. Anyone?

--Mark
Yes, just about 50% of us use the Pela, and let us not start that war again.

The Bently CD for the MKV Jetta has instructions for changing the Oil at the dealership, and the first instruction is to locate the VAGXXXX Oil Extraction tool. If this tool is not in your shop, you can elect to remove the belly pan, and drain the oil.

weedeater

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta, 2001, Baltic Green
some people have reported that the PD motor has some sort of obstruction in the dipstick path that makes using a Pella a challenge.

scknight

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI 6MT
My suggestion would be that if you are going to use a Pela-type device, that the first few oil changes, you do both, the Pela vaccuum extraction, and then the drain plug, and see if you personally are comfortable with the amt of oil that comes out after the Pela. Some people get almost all the oil, some only get 3 of 4 liters. As with anything you do to your car, its a judgement call. :)

Personally, I use the Pela, then drain to get the last 1/2 to 3/4 liter out. . . now if I could just figure out a reliable way to read this dipstick!

Last edited:

LF06VWJTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
06 MkV Jetta TDI
scknight said:
Personally, I use the Pela, then drain to get the last 1/2 to 3/4 liter out. . . now if I could just figure out a reliable way to read this dipstick!
Why do the job twice then? :confused:
If you're still draining, might as well drain the whole thing...

Blue_Hen_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
owned: 96 B4V, 06 Golf, 12 NMS, 15 GSW
LF06VWJTDI said:
Why do the job twice then? :confused:
If you're still draining, might as well drain the whole thing...
Doing both is the only way to get the max amount of oil out. Drain plug only method leaves oil in the filter housing area. Pela only leaves a small amount in the bottom of the pan. If you're only going to do one, Pela gets out more oil.

Also, I cannot speak for A5 PD engines, but my A4 PD takes a Pela just fine. You can feel some slight resistance at one point when inserting the tube, but if you back out slightly and reinsert you'll feel it go all the way in and meet the bottom of the pan.

Sloose

TDI
05.5 Reflex Silver Jetta Package 1
Blue_Hen_TDI said:
You can feel some slight resistance at one point when inserting the tube, but if you back out slightly and reinsert you'll feel it go all the way in and meet the bottom of the pan.

he he he beavis... that's what uhhh...she said.

R-Sixxer

Veteran Member
TDI
06 1.9L
I don't mind getting under the car to change its oil. It gives me a way to inspect the underside and make sure she's running in tip top shape. Other than jacking up the car with the silly little car jack crank, it's a simple 45 min job max.

DieselDavid

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat SE TDI 6M, 2015 Golf SEL TDI DSG
Bentley pages 03-18, 03-19, 03-21, and 03-22

The Bentley manual says to first change the oil filter before removing the oil from the oil pan so a valve will be opened to allow oil in the filter housing to drain.

The Bentley manual says to tighten the cap for the oil filter to 18 ft-lb (25 Nm) and to tighten the oil pan drain bolt to 22 ft-lb (30 Nm). They also say to always replace the oil pan drain bolt with a new one.

After installing a new gasket on the cap for the oil filter but before reinstalling the cap for the oil filter, I spread a thin coat of oil around the new gasket. This is not mentioned in the Bentley manual.

fireice

TDI
Jetta, 2005.5 , blue
i have a question.. i've done my oil now 4 times and i am fairly comfortable with the procedure.. i drain the oil from the bottom as well as suck out the bottom of the filter compartment with pela.

however, when underneath, i see at the bottom of the filter assembly a similar plug as the one on the top.. i am thinking this one should allow to just drain the oil that i normally suck out with the pela (about 1/2 quart).

anybody removed the bottom oil filter-like cover?

Long_Range

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta Sedan GL 2004
fireice said:
i have a question.. i've done my oil now 4 times and i am fairly comfortable with the procedure.. i drain the oil from the bottom as well as suck out the bottom of the filter compartment with pela.

however, when underneath, i see at the bottom of the filter assembly a similar plug as the one on the top.. i am thinking this one should allow to just drain the oil that i normally suck out with the pela (about 1/2 quart).

anybody removed the bottom oil filter-like cover?
Don't do it. That's the bolt holding your oil cooler all together.

JustLuckey

Veteran Member
TDI
Non-VW: 2016 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel
Thanks, this was the first time I did the oil change myself on my Jetta. This thread was very helpful!

Strack

Veteran Member
You can go to Home Depot or Lowes and buy a pump which fits on the end of a hand drill to pump the oil out of the dipstick. The kit comes with the pump and all hoses and fitting for about $12.99. This is probably the least expensive and easiest oil & filter change solution I can think of. Give it a try, I think you'll be impressed with the results..

BTW- what brand of 505.01 oil are you going to use?

JustLuckey

Veteran Member
TDI
Non-VW: 2016 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel
Strack,
Do you have a pic or link to the pump you mentioned?
Not sure if you were asking me, but I use Castrol TXT.

Strack

Veteran Member
Sorry that I don't have a pic or link. I bought a drill pump a few years ago at Home Depot. They have them in the aisle with plastic plumbing and water pumps. You simpy connect the pump to the drill like you were inserting a bit into the chuck, tighten and you're ready to roll. You insert the plastic tubing through the dip stick tube and extract the oil. Remember to remove the old oil filter first, a few ounces of oil will drain down into the oil pan. Based upon everyones experience with Pella problems, this simple solution works out very well!

shutterfly

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW
Just bought the filter and 5 bottles of oil for $45 and plan to do the oil change this weekend.
Here I just want to know whether is absolutely necessary to raise the car in order to drain the oil from the bottom? I have done oil changes on different cars such as hondas, toyotas, fords, nissans, and rarely found it's a necessity to raise the car.
thanks,