Questions to ask buying an old mk4

mcoombs

TDI
Mk4
Hi, I am looking at buying a 2006 Jetta TDI wagon. It only has 151,205 km on it. The timing belt was replaced in 2015 and turbo was replaced in 2018. I am looking for some advice for you experts on what I should be asking about a car of this year. Its on it's second owner and all service records seem to be in order, but it's an old car and they are asking $8,000 Canadian. There is definitely some rust on the body, but that doesn't concern me too much. Thanks for your input!

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 A6 TDI, 2001 Jetta TDI, 2014 Passat TDI
Is it an auto or a manual? Autos have an issue with the shift solenoids when they get more worn, mostly noticeable when cold. Easy and cheap fix. Second concern is camshaft wear, they're known for wearing out the injector lobes due to the incorrect oil being used. Other than that, I think they're asking too much, especially with visible rust.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
You can verify mileage in the Engine controller, too. It stores the mileage independent of the Instruments.

Johhny04

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDi
That model year in wagon form in Canada had the BEW engine and not the BRM. Cam wear shouldn't be an issue. I would also be suspicious about the mileage unless it was a grocery getter for an old couple.

jmodge

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 alh Jetta, RC2 w/.205's 5speed daily summer commuter and 2000 alh Jetta 5spd swap, 2" lift, hitch, stage 3 TDtuning w/.216's winter cruiser, 1996 Tacoma ALh
Belts are recommended every 5 years regardless of mileage, ALH's are anyway. Mileage should be able to confirm with VCDS. Sounds pricey, don't know what your market is like though. At that price I think you can take your time and learn the market for them. After that the questions you should ask are to yourself; Why do you want a TDI? How much money do I have to invest in a car? (maintenance included) How much time do I want to invest in a car? (studying, learning, repairing, maintaining?) And am I willing to learn and work on it myself? These cars can be problematic divas, are you ready for that?

PakProtector

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk.4's and the Cummins
That model year in wagon form in Canada had the BEW engine and not the BRM. Cam wear shouldn't be an issue. I would also be suspicious about the mileage unless it was a grocery getter for an old couple.
It is also not the injector lobes that cause the troubles, it is the valve lobes. The injector lobes run with rollers, and the valves get the narrowed flat tappet lobes. At full pressure , the BEW is making a Ton of force on the injector stem contact.
cheers,
Douglas

mcoombs

TDI
Mk4
Thanks everyone. This car is a manual transmission. I have an 2004 with 387,000 km and am looking for an upgrade. Yes, I am in Canada. Would my 2004 have the same engine as this 2006, then? Because it's been very good to me so far

jmodge

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 alh Jetta, RC2 w/.205's 5speed daily summer commuter and 2000 alh Jetta 5spd swap, 2" lift, hitch, stage 3 TDtuning w/.216's winter cruiser, 1996 Tacoma ALh
So you’re already infected, you can disregard most of my comments then

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
It is also not the injector lobes that cause the troubles, it is the valve lobes. The injector lobes run with rollers, and the valves get the narrowed flat tappet lobes. At full pressure , the BEW is making a Ton of force on the injector stem contact.
cheers,
Douglas
My bad, I knew it was a lobe that wore out. Hardly ever tough BEWs so was just taking a stab at guessing.

mcoombs

TDI
Mk4
The timing belt was done at 88,000km in 2015. It's at 151,000 now. Do you think its due or could it wait until 188,000?

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Rubber still rots over time, I'd play it safe and do it again. Some say wait 8 years, but I lean on the side of caution.

rwthomas1

Veteran Member
TDI
'03 Jetta
Seems expensive for a car with rust. Rust is the one thing hardest to fix and it never goes away once it starts. Dunno, maybe in the rust belt areas you guys are more used to it, but I always shoot for the most rust-free example I can find. Everything else is easier to fix.

RT

Mike_04GolfTDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Mine: 2019 Golf R DSG, Wife's: 2015 Golf Comfortline TDI
The timing belt was done at 88,000km in 2015. It's at 151,000 now. Do you think its due or could it wait until 188,000?
Some say every five years, regardless of mileage.

When I had one fail, it was 7 years old, with about 90,000km of usage. A bunch of teeth stripped right off it and then the engine turned into a sack of hammers in a washing machine.

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
I'm an unusually low mileage user. I may consider belt change after 10 years or so. That's assuming all previous installs were properly done with top shelf parts.