Questions Regarding Aftermarket Wheels

Scottie-GNZ

TDI
2015 Golf
Hi folks,

I am a newb, despite owning a '10 TDI 6-speed and currently a '13 Jetta Sportwagen DSG.

I am in the process of trading the Jetta for a 2015 Golf 6-speed. Wanted to get an SE mainly because I wanted to have the 17 wheels/tires, but having trouble finding one with the right color and not loaded down with options I don't want to pay for. I am considering purchasing an S and adding aftermarket 17" wheels/tires that are more attractive than the OEMs. I discussed this with the dealer and they said it would not void the warranty as long as the sizes were the same as OEM.

So, I have 2 questions:
- None of the wheel/tire stores, like Tire Rack, list anything for the 2015. Do you folks think wheels for a 2014 would be an issue? I know the wheelbase and front overhang has changed for 2015 but not sure if there is anything else that could present a problem. The wheel would either be 17x7.5 or 17x8 with 225/40-17s.

- Do you think there are any differences in shocks and springs between the S and SE, seeing that the SE has slightly larger wheels and tires? The dealer is clueless on this.

TIA

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Correct tire size for the 17s would be 225/45, not 40. Only question about fitment would be offset. I'm not sure if it's different on the '15s from earlier cars.

Don't know if S and SE have different dampers or springs, they well may given varying equipment levels. But I don't think it'll have any effect on wheel/tire selection.

Scottie-GNZ

TDI
2015 Golf
Thanks for the reply. Meant to say 225/45. Dealer wants ~$2500 for a set of OEM 17s and Conti tires!

Asked about springs/shocks not for wheel/tire selection but to see if I am losing anything by going with the S.

cascade7997

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Golf TDI sold, 2015 Golf SE TDI 6MT
Thanks for the reply. Meant to say 225/45. Dealer wants ~$2500 for a set of OEM 17s and Conti tires!

Asked about springs/shocks not for wheel/tire selection but to see if I am losing anything by going with the S.
Biggest loss in the sunroof.

flyingtoaster

TDI
2015 Golf TDI S DSG
SE adds:
-Sunroof
-Heated seats
-Fender audio with subwofer
-Rearview camera
-Rain sensing windshield wipers
-17 inch (vs 16 inch) wheels
-Optional lighting package

RIP TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'15 GSW SE 6MT...... '01 Golf GLS 5MT.... '96 Passat Variant....
- None of the wheel/tire stores, like Tire Rack, list anything for the 2015. Do you folks think wheels for a 2014 would be an issue? I know the wheelbase and front overhang has changed for 2015 but not sure if there is anything else that could present a problem. The wheel would either be 17x7.5 or 17x8 with 225/40-17s.
Specs for '15 wheel:

17 X 7.0"
5 X 112 mm BC
49 mm ET
5.71 mm CB

Tirerack has a ton of 17" Mk Vl wheels in the 45-50 ET range, so you should be golden.

Scottie-GNZ

TDI
2015 Golf
Just closed the deal on an S, black/beige, same as the Jetta. While I wanted an SE, the only features I desired were the 17s, Fender Audio system and HLs with the cornering feature (No streetlights in my neighborhood). Just could not find one that was reasonably priced.

I was quite surprised/disappointed when I drove the 6-spd. My '10 was a 6-spd and I loved it. The '13 Jetta is a DSG and I love the response when you tap the throttle from a stop and how it always seems be in the right gear. However, I wanted to go back to a manual. On the test drive I found the initial response to be a little soft until you squeezed the throttle and did not like the feel of the shifter at all. I then drove a DSG and was sold. Much improved over the '13 DSG, IMO. I am sure some might find my assessment odd :D

Dealer was very cooperative with my plan to get non-OEM wheels/tires. Before, they insisted that they do the mount/balance but when I told them it was Tire Rack, they had no concern. Their concern was buying a package from "Bubba's Custom Wheels and Fireworks", LOL. Looking at 17s as I write this and with 201 to choose from (except the pricey OZs) it's a fun task.

Thanks for the responses and tech details.

DieselRacer

banned
TDI
BMW Advanced Diesel...2011 BMW 335d
I like the SE package...but for the money its not worth it in some cases...

cheoah

Veteran Member
TDI
'06 Jetta PD, '14 Passat
You can really get off the line with the DSG, but where the 6MT shines is in control on curves and hills where I live. Takes way less braking and gives me more,control overall.

Sent from my iSomething using Tapatalk
Please forgive typos and commas

ssamalin

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Mercedes E250 Blutec. Previously: 2006 Jetta TDI
Good choice

I like the S too. I even like the 16" wheels on it rather than 17, I don't think the Golf can handle 17s, it's not a Beamer. If I wanted to pay more for a diesel I'd be thinking used Beamer or such (or of course a Passat).

TDI-rex

TDI
2015 Golf TDI S DSG
I also agree that the S is the best trim level. The combination of thicker seating and the sunroof makes the SE far more cramped inside.

I actually like the 17s on the SE, but bought this car for comfort and economy over style anyway so no big loss to me.

WiszMaster

Veteran Member
TDI
'02 Jetta TDI - Silver, '06 Golf TDI, '06 MB 320 CDI
I like the S too. I even like the 16" wheels on it rather than 17, I don't think the Golf can handle 17s, it's not a Beamer. If I wanted to pay more for a diesel I'd be thinking used Beamer or such (or of course a Passat).

Just what makes you think that the golf can't handle 17" tire/wheel package ?!

ssamalin

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Mercedes E250 Blutec. Previously: 2006 Jetta TDI
If I wanted to drive like Nascar I'd do it in a Beamer. I think the Golf is a small economy car and would rather have wheels that don't risk road hazard damage and excessive wear on the suspension. A well chosen set of 16" will perform as well as 17s if I'm not doing stunt driving from "Bullet". It also is more efficient and speedy from zero, and costs less and looks as good.

Last edited:

Scottie-GNZ

TDI
2015 Golf
I don't think VW would put 17s on the Golf if there was any chance the chassis/suspension could not "handle" it. Let's not forget the SEL has 18s. My '10 TDI 6-spd came with 17s and when I traded it in, it had 64K miles and still on the original tires. No worn suspension there. Sure it helped that I personally rotated the tires every 3+K miles.

Here is a pic of the 17s I put on my S. 17x8s with 225/45R17s. Only been on for a couple of days and the only difference I notice is a little more of a thud on rough surfaces and that's to be expected with a slightly wider tread and shorter sidewall.

This might be a diesel and an economy car, but it can still put a smile on your face with the occasional spirited drive and you don't have to drive like Nascar.