Question

EKStoy

TDI
none
I'm new to vw diesels but I like the idea of swapping it into my 91 yota. I go a buddy that has one outta a 04 golf tht he got from his friend. It's not running but he has a full rebuild kit for it and said he'll ship it to me with everything for 800. Would this be a good engine to swap in or should I look for something older. Any input is welcome

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
An '04 TDI engine is the PD (Pumpe Duse). There are a few folks transplanting the PD engine. However, the ALH (99.5 to 03) is pretty popular as well as the pre-ALH engines.

If you go with the PD engine, you should make sure the "package" includes all the pieces parts..........ECU, wiring harness, etc.

Also, I would want to know why that engine needs to be rebuilt! That would be my number one concern!

EKStoy

TDI
none
He said the guy was running 20pounds of boost an blew it cause he wasn't running a standalone and stock internals.

LukeWilson

Veteran Member
TDI
Toyota 4x4 TDI, 2004 Allroad TDI
Just chipped those cars will run an easy 20 psi of boost, they get fairly close to 16-17 psi stock. Also standalone for diesels is very rare, very expensive and rarely ever needed. Stock internals are fine until you are putting out significantly more power, like almost double stock. Something sounds fishy here, as some of the PD engines have a history of "blowing" for other reasons.

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
Agree with the "Something sounds fishy here.............."

It will probably cost more to rebuild that engine than a "package" from a wreck or someone offering one for sale hear in the club would cost!

While looking for a good engine package, I'd be reading/learning more about the other needs for the 91 Toyota swap requirements. And, of course be looking for any other parts, etc., that you will be needing. A good engine will show up sooner or later!

I'd say you are a lot younger than me...........and I've been working on my project since the fall of '07 and hope to be finished mid-summer!

You just need to do some reading here in this Forum! Lots of good info!

EKStoy

TDI
none
Ya I'm only 20. But I'll have to find out more on that motor. I've been reading alot lately on here of the swaps in yotas. I was gonna get the ACME adaptor kit. He said he has a complete rebuild kit for it. Only thing Im really worried about is the wiring. I can weld an fab stuff up. I was just thinkin about what more experienced ppl thought about this motor

G60ING

Top Post Dawg
TDI
No TDIs Currently, I have an R36 Corrado. I've had an ALH Corrado swap, AHU Corrado swap and 2003 TDI Jetta
i agree fishy, run away. There is no such thing as a rebuild kit for when an engine is running too much boost and needed stand alone. The amount of damage is unlimited.

EKStoy

TDI
none
Alright thnx guys I'll keep looking around for another motor. Hopefully I can find one cheap that doesn't need a ton of work

G60ING

Top Post Dawg
TDI
No TDIs Currently, I have an R36 Corrado. I've had an ALH Corrado swap, AHU Corrado swap and 2003 TDI Jetta
Sometimes cheap is just that and then sometimes there is a good deal. Most of the times you get what you pay for.

EKStoy

TDI
none
I meant good deal haha not necessarily cheap. But I'm still thinking about the vw diesel an the Toyota diesel