Question for the transmission experts

pedroYUL

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat CVCA; 2015 GSW CRUA; 2012 wagon CJAA; 2004 wagon BEW
Maybe this is even a 101 question, I admit having much to learn about transmissions anyway.

Car: 2015 Passat SE 6MT 93k miles. New to me since maybe 80k.

Issue: I don't recall noticing this when I test drove the car, but after a long drive back home and some more driving I noticed the stick needs a slight pressing left so that 1st and 2nd engages (1st gate), more so 1st than 2nd.

Car developed a CEL and I took it to a dealer to get the 2nd part dieselgate fix done. I did mentioned this issue to the dealer and promised to look into it, which I'm not sure they did. In any case I asked again, and they say it could be an issue with the actual gearbox. I asked if they could adjust the cables, and they said shift cables had no adjustment 🤷‍♂️

Anyway, I later did try to adjust the shift cables and found the nut at the shift tower loose. Some light wrenching later and it seemed to shift better. But with time it got back to needing that little pressure left.

Big question: is there really something wrong with my transmission that warrants a new one? Something else that could be wrong?

Thank you people!

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
You have to press harder to the left than just the normal spring loaded detent would provide?

Normally the gear shifter is at rest between 3rd and 4th. In other words, if you put it in neutral and took your hand off the shifter, that is where it would be, and pushing it straight forward or backward would engage 3rd or 4th, respectively. So for 1st/2nd, you would push against the spring to the left, and for 5th/6th you would push against the spring to the right. And reverse is further to the left which requires pushing DOWN, but still pushing against the spring loaded detent in the gearbox.

Normally if this L-R adjustment is off, then you'd find 5th and 6th not be ALL the way to the right, as in if you push the shifter to the right to engage either of those gears you'd have to let off a bit to find the gate. Since there are only two cables. One is for L-R, the other forward and backwards. And if the F-B cable is off, you'd typically find it difficult to engage the odd or even gears collectively, depending on which way it was off.

The cables can be adjusted, there is a specific procedure to do this. I would consult a shop manual to be sure it is done correctly and what special tools may be needed.

pedroYUL

Veteran Member
TDI
You have to press harder to the left than just the normal spring loaded detent would provide?
Yes, harder, but not extreme. It feels that if I'm not rubbing the gate on the left, then something catches. Could my issue be inside the car instead?

5-6 is no issue at all.

pedroYUL

Veteran Member
TDI
Also, the dealer said it could be clutch not engaging properly, but then again it is only 1st and not like the gear crunches or nothing else.

Could it truly be something internal to the gearbox, like a worn fork or synchro?

A gearbox popped up in Craigslist for a reasonable price and distance. Should I jump on it?

MukGyver

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta PD
Why buy another box until you're sure what Oilhammer said about adjustment is completed first? If it isn't the box you just bought a box and STILL may have the same problem.

pedroYUL

Veteran Member
TDI
I did adjust the shifter cables. I can do it again and report back, but after owning 4 different standard transmission TDIs and 3 other manuals of other brands before that, I am not so sure this adjustment will fix it.

I do know how to drive a stick, I learnt on one when I was 16 and only owned sticks ever since...I'm 48.

MukGyver

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta PD
Ok I didn't see that you mentioned you did adjust the shifter cables. What about taking off the cables at the box and have someone push in the clutch while you manually at the box put it into 1st and 2nd. If you feel the problem then it could confirm the box over the linkage?

pedroYUL

Veteran Member
TDI
Now you're talking. I'll try that for sure, as the last thing I want is to get stranded with a gearbox problem.

MukGyver

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta PD
Maybe have someone move it 1st to 2nd so you can see which lever at the box moves. Do you have the shifter console removed? It might be good to see what's going there too beforehand. I'm not an expert, just saying what I would probably do.

pedroYUL

Veteran Member
TDI
...I'm getting old...

Last time I tried to adjust the shift linkages, but the grime and little rust made impossible for me to turn the plastic rings, so in my mind I put it off as done :rolleyes:. Last time I also sprayed some fluid film, and this time I could move the linkage rings and springs.

Adjusted according to Dieselgeek procedure and it is all good now.

Thanks guys! ....I guess secretly I just wanted an extra 6 speed 😁, which I didn't buy

MukGyver

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta PD
😂 glad it worked out! Wonder how the adjustment got out. Somebody monkied around with it or maybe just parts worn. .

jettawreck

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta and 2003 Jetta
😂 glad it worked out! Wonder how the adjustment got out. Somebody monkied around with it or maybe just parts worn. .
Perhaps someone had the tranny out for a clutch (or some other replacement) and didn't know how to release the cables or maybe at some point new cables were installed??