Question for the Canadians about oil change

Duane

For as long as I can remember, I have been told to change my oil every 5000 Kms. They say this because we live in such a cold climate
the oil will not last as long. And Mr. Lube recomends in the winter to change the oil every 3000 Kms, whether it's synthetic or not. I think this is bloody ridiculous. On this web site it is recommended to change oil every 10-12k Kms. Are there any Canadians out there who can recommend how often an oil change is needed.

A pie in the face is always a good laugh especially when it's a arrogant PM that get it.

TDI Newbie

I decided that after my 15000 kms change, that I will change the oil every 10k. I am using Delvac as well. The dealer tried to tell me every 8, but the manual says 15. Geez, I wish these guys could colaborate on their stories a bit better.

TDIsmokin

Veteran Member
Duane,
Here is the real deal.
I own a Toyota Camry (92) that just turned over 435,000 kms today. Ever since 20,000 kms I have run it 10,000 kms for the oil and 5000 kms for the filter. I.E I change the oil and filter at every 10,000 and 1/2 way to my oil change I change the filter.
The filter is doing all the work here guys.
I have run synthetic(MOBIL1) on it from day go!!
Mr Lube just wants your $$$$$$$$$$$.
Our TDI, same routine. LOF at 10,000kms and filters at 5000kms. Only use OEM filters and you can change them in your garage in about 3 minutes. Child's play. We fully expect 500,000 kms +++ out of the TDI.
My name is Claude, and I AM CANADIAN!!!!

------------------
TDIsmokin
Claude

I am an elitist. I drive a TDI!!

Steve

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Sportwagon TDI
I plan to change every 10,000 km. The recommended 15,000 km interval just sounds too long for me - even though our southern neighbours are reporting good oil analysis.

My Dad just bought an Acura 3.2TL (which, by the way, has an excellent operating manual - VW needs to refer to the Acura manual to see how one should be written). Anyway, Acura gives two service schedules - normal and severe service. Acura recommends that all Canadians follow the severe service schedule because of our cold climate.

Not only does the severe service schedule have a shorter oil change interval, but the timing belt needs to be changed more often! If VW tried to make the same recommendation in their manuals, I could see about fifteen different timing belt change intervals floating around.

[This message has been edited by Steve (edited August 17, 2000).]

Hyates

Veteran Member
TDI
SOLD
I will be changing the oil every 6 months or 15,000 km as per VW's recommendation.

I will be using Mobile Delvac1 5W-40 full synthetic and genuine VW oil filters.

I've always changed my oil every 3 months or 6000 km in my previous diesels, but find this would be unnecessary based on using full synthetic.

Look through this website and check people's oil analysis. This oil can easily last 15,000 km, so why change it more often? There is a reason Delvac1 is over $8.82 per liter (CDN).

Harry.

------------------
'00 Golf TDI GLS (12000 + Km)

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
I'm doing it roughly every 12,000 km, per the owner's manual for my car. I'm using Delvac 1, which is better stuff than what the owner's manual says to use. It recommends CD ...

Brian P.
'96 Passat TDI

Diesel Dude

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 1997, Dark Green
Duane: I live about 200 Km south of you and I am using Chevron DELO 400 5w40 full synthetic and 10,000km change intervals. The DELO is available from UFA bulk fuel suppliers for 14.45cdn. per US gallon. I have been a firm believer of 5,000km servicing and I ran a 1985 Nissan diesel pickup 450,000km with absolutely no oil related failures. With the switch to the synthetic and what I believe is a superior oil filter, my opinion is that even in our climate 10,000km is conservative.

clacker

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf Wagon TDI DSG Trendline, 2000 Jetta TDI auto, 2008 Mercedes R320, 2006 smart fortwo cdi
Hey
I've racked up well over a million miles on our diesels to date and go 15000 kms per change on the oil and change the filter every 7500 kms (with synthetic oil). Always use VW filters!!! On my gasser cars I've gone well over 20000 kms before changing the oil (with normal oil) and never had engine problems (can't kill a VW). I don't change the intervale in winter because it is only highway driven with two cold starts per day (not multiply cold city drives)
Greg