Question for my Canadian peeps:

GetMore

Veteran Member
TDI
1997 Passat TDI, 2010 Jetta Sportwagen
I am looking into installing a Frostheater on my JSW, and I was thinking about how to plug it in. The plug on the Frostheater is unprotected from the salt and such. I know the Canadian cars come with heaters, and they have these nice sockets, with a protective door.
I went to the dealer and asked at Parts to see if they could get that grille with that socket. The guy there said he would look into it, but would probably need a part number. He did a quick search to see if he could find it, and we saw that the socket is not our normal plug.

So, is there a special cord that comes with the car for plugging it in?

Has anyone tried to retrofit those parts into a US-spec car?
I do know there is a thread somewhere here, which has a different, but same basic idea plug.

I am looking for options.

Thanks!

NB_TDi

Vendor
TDI
2014 Jetta SE
Those cords are around $160 a pop. You can find a regular outlet with a flap, others on here have added it with little issue.

Mugs

TDI
2014 Jetta, comfortline 6 spd /man
Yes there is a special cord - it's still in with my spare tire as least thats where it was on the one I took for a test drive. I guess naybe I should look and make sure I have one. I'm guessing it's about 4 feet long but I may be mistaken. I'm thinking you probably could put an aftermarket blockheater of some sort on though for cheaper and just have the plug outside the grill - the plugs on any I've seen on domestic models have a cover for the prongs.

Mugs

TDI
2014 Jetta, comfortline 6 spd /man
Those cords are around $160 a pop. You can find a regular outlet with a flap, others on here have added it with little issue.
I'm really going to make sure I have mine ...holy smokes.

nwarner2010

TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagen
It seals pretty good, always seems dry behind the cover. There is a little pin hole under the plug behind the cover to drain any moisture that might pass through or build up. I wanted to mount it on the fog light housing but if I remember right the plug is too deep. It isn't really noticeable unless you really look for it.