Question - Diesel Preheating Light

Angelo D

TDI
2013 Jetta TDI Pemium (DSG) - Platinum Gray Mettalic
Trying to find info in the owners manual.... are you supposed to start the engine immediately? Or wait till glow plugs heat up. I saw something in the owners manual about a diesel preheating indicator light but it's doesn't say what to do with it. The dealer told be its ok to just turn the key and go... But I'm not so sure. Any clarification would be greatly appreciated.

Other than that.... so far I'm very happy with the car.

N41EF

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf, 2009 ML 320, 2006 NB, 2001 NB
It's a diesel, turn the key to ON, wait for the glow plug light to come on then off, then hit the starter. The light looks like a squigly coil of wire.

slamhouse

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI SE
Older diesels needed to preheat the plugs before starting, the newer diesels aren't as prone the the issue.

Just flip to "ON" wait 4-5 seconds, then start.

Angelo D

TDI
2013 Jetta TDI Pemium (DSG) - Platinum Gray Mettalic
Thanks

Thanks a bunch for the quick replies.... I've owned an 01 Ford Powerstroke diesel truck since new..... has a light you need to wait on before you start.

jettawreck

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta and 2003 Jetta
Thanks a bunch for the quick replies.... I've owned an 01 Ford Powerstroke diesel truck since new..... has a light you need to wait on before you start.
And, that's what you should do with your TDI, with the exception of a warm engine, thete is no need to wait, but then the wait to start light will be very brief anyways.

40X40

Experienced
TDI
2013 Passat SEL Premium

Your TDI has one as well, but it does not stay on for long.

Key to 'RUN'

Wait for Glowplug light to go out.

Key to 'START'

Enjoy!

Bill

_MattMan

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Jetta GLS Wagon 5sp
And when its extra cold out, wouldn't hurt to cycle it again by turning the key off and then back over until light goes out.:D