Question about replacing an A4 brake cable with the Heavy Duty version

sdean7855

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta
I have watched a YouTube showing replacement of the standard duty cables and want to think that I can pull that off, God willing. But because I've had these replaced at least 3x over the years, I sprang for the Heavy Duty one from ID Parts, hoping that will last better. Where everything goes seems straightforward with one exception, the Emergency Parking Brake Cable Clip For Rear Axle (A4 Heavy Duty), a little plastic dingus. Can someone send me a picture of where it goes? Or is there a YouTube or someone's isntructions here on how to install the Heavy Duty version? Said dingus:

JB05

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf,2005,anthracite blue
I don't see where the metal clip that is behind the rear wheel is opened up in the above video. Those clips were very difficult for me to undo. They will have to be replaced in order for the thicker cable to be installed, along with the hooks.

sdean7855

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta
There is a little screw sticking out that you spin/push that onto. Its in front of rear wheel.
There is a little screw sticking out that you spin/push that onto. Its in front of rear wheel.
I couldn't find it, and the video doesn't show it. I think the dingus is not what IDParts lists it as, but the plastic clip that holds the aluminum tube you feed the brake cable into.

Fahrvegnugen

Veteran Member
TDI
01 golf 1.9 alh gls silver
As you can see my clip doesn’t hold the cable well and it has popped out (and even rubbed off the heavy duty part on the Inner wheel). I just drive without it attached. Pita. I took the photo in the dark and rainy weather, so I didn’t bother trying to reattach it. I don’t think I’d bother installing the special clips if I had to do it again. I’d Zip tie the brake lines to the original clips.
Its always upsetting to see how much rust has formed after the winter. Even my newish seat bushings are bubbling