Question about radios

Thadude

TDI
2001 Jetta
I am going to be converting my single din '01 Stock radio to the double din '02+ radio. I am going to be purchasing the necessary conversion harness to do the job. My question is, given the new head unit being a Monsoon and the old a non monsoon Is it possible, using the Vag-com to reprogram the new radio to not act as a monsoon head unit? I see this on the ross-tech site:

56- Radio: – KWP1281
VAG-COM appears to work fine.

Radio Recoding:
[Select]
[56 - Radio]
[Recode - 07]

Write down the existing coding for future reference.
Enter 5-digit code from below
[Do It!]

Look at the first two digits in the coding (sound field tuning):
00 - All models with Premium VI w/o Multifunction Steering Wheel
01 - Golf/GTI
02 - Jetta
03 - Jetta Wagon
04 - All models with Premium VI with Multifunction Steering Wheel
06 - New Beetle

Look at the third digit in the coding (radio/speaker system):
0 - Premium V or Premium VI (Monsoon)
4 - Premium IV, Premium V, or Premium VI (non-Monsoon)

Look at the fourth digit in the coding (sound correction):
0 - Premium IV, Premium V, or Premium VI (non-Monsoon)
3 - Premium V (Monsoon) 2-door or Premium VI (Monsoon)
4 - Premium V (Monsoon) 4-door

Look at the fifth digit in the coding (CD player/changer):
1 - Without CD Player/Changer
3 - With CD Player/Changer

So, if you have a 2-door GTI with Monsoon and a CD changer, 01,0,3,3 = 01033.

I'm hoping this will allow me to use the unit in my non-monsoon car.

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
... None :S
I believe you can...

Why are you doing this though? The single din radio has some features the double din does not (like seperate treble / bass memories for the AM, FM, CD, and casette..). Where are you getting the CAN bus signals from?

-Jason

Thadude

TDI
2001 Jetta
:) Thanks for the answer it is appreciated

I'm doing this because I like the newer style radios for their ease of viewing while on the road and the upfront cd player. (no more going to the trunk to change cd's on a regular basis) Plus I got a pretty good deal on it:D

I got one coming to me at the TdiFest. When I install this, I understand that it will not be able to communicate with the car, however my workaround for this is to first install it in the '03 wagon we own, program it with vag-com then install it in the '01.

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
Well, that radio uses CAN bus for the turn on signal and the illumination signal, in addition to the diagnostic communication.

You can get an up front CD player for you single din radio. I have one, and it works with the changer too!

-Jason

HOLZINGER

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 BORA(Jetta) GLS TDI
Dude,

How did this work out for you?? I'm contemplating the same swap. What is this "conversion harness" that you speak of and where is it available??

Thanks in advance

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
If your car has a single din radio right now, the Gamma is literally plug and play... you just have to clip one wire, and run it to a speed signal if you want the speed sensitive volume to work. Or just leave it disconnected.

If your car has a double din radio you need to get an adapter for the antenna plug, and grab turn on power and backlight power from somewhere else. You'll also need to adapt the speaker plug as it isn't the same IIRC.

FYI, the single din CD player you see below the radio works with the US headunit as well, and you can keep the 6 disk changer (that's what the select button is for)

-Jason