Question about Non-TDI NMS

Perfectreign

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta GLS 5-speed
I am posting this here because I don't see much activity in the "other vehicles" areas. Let me know if it needs to be moved. I figured the opinions would be same for the tranny and other items with a NMS and a TDI NMS. I also posted this on vwvortex but am not getting much information.

My beautiful young bride is nearing the end of a 20 month lease on a 2015 Passat Limited gasser with the 1.8. We leased it in August 2015 and we now need to decide to keep or turn in.

The car is fine so far. While I don't have a modern VAGCOM, I'm somewhat familiar with VWs, having had my MK4 Jetta TDI for five years, which I just recently sold at 240K miles.

From what I've seen, she has a Tiptronic transmission. That seems to be fairly solid (hopefully as solid as my 02J.

Any other major issues with the B7 platform?

VernK

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat 2.5L Gas
None from our 2012 car. The only issues were the headliner not fitting when delivered, replaced under warranty, a sunvisor vanity lamp switch that failed on and a broken baffle in the rear muffler, also replaced under warranty this year.

Yours
Vern

Rico567

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium (Turned in 7/7/18)
Well, with a 2015, how many miles on it? If it's still low miles, I wouldn't expect a whole lot of problems. Our '13 Passat TDI SEL has been a great car, only issues so far have been a failed NOx sensor (fixed under warranty) and the currently pending heater core issue (consult other threads in the NMS section of the forum), for which there is no immediate remedy, since evidently new heater cores are on nationwide back order. No worries here, since our car is covered by the 10/120 extended warranty on the core. Not many problems, then, in 50K miles, but it's the next 50, and the one after that, that are likely to prove more interesting. It's like I told an appliance salesman who was selling us a new stove, fridge, washer / dryer, etc. He was bragging on their stores 7 year warranty, and I said "How much to buy a warranty on the second 7?" He was not amused.

BKmetz

Administrator, Member #10
Staff member
TDI
2015 Passat, titanium beige, 6MT
The heater core issues are a TDI thing due to the EGR cooler, regens, and G13 coolant. The gasser models do not have heater core issues.

Gasser NMS Passats use Aisin-Warner automatic transmissions. TDI Passats use the DSG transmission. Both TDI and gasser models use the same manual transmission, but have different gear ratios. From what I understand 2015 was the last year one could get a manual transmission in a NMS Passat, TDI or gas model.

Last year I had a chance to rent a 1.8 TSI NMS Passat. It was Very nice car with TDI like acceleration and torque. Much better power and torque than the wife's 2.5L inline 5. My wife's car had a NOX sensor go bad and VW covered it under warranty.

If you like the car and you can negotiate a good price, buy it!

:)

Perfectreign

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta GLS 5-speed
The heater core issues are a TDI thing due to the EGR cooler, regens, and G13 coolant. The gasser models do not have heater core issues.
Aha, I eventually found that.
Gasser NMS Passats use Aisin-Warner automatic transmissions. TDI Passats use the DSG transmission. Both TDI and gasser models use the same manual transmission, but have different gear ratios. From what I understand 2015 was the last year one could get a manual transmission in a NMS Passat, TDI or gas model.
That is more information than I'd been able to find on the interwebs. Thank you.
Last year I had a chance to rent a 1.8 TSI NMS Passat. It was Very nice car with TDI like acceleration and torque. Much better power and torque than the wife's 2.5L inline 5. My wife's car had a NOX sensor go bad and VW covered it under warranty.
If you like the car and you can negotiate a good price, buy it!
:)
My wife loves it. Yes, the torque feels almost as good as in my ALH Jetta.
Thank you all!
Odd that I found more information here on TDIclub than on other non-TDI forums. I very much appreciate it.
Now back to watching English Boxing Day soccer games. Currently on Manchester City vs. Hull City.