Question about Audi A3 "Convenience Package"

jkp1187

Veteran Member
TDI
none yet
We're thinking about ordering an A3 TDI and are getting a little bit confused by the descriptions. The Audi website says that the 'convenience package' comes with a light sensor that "automatically turns on the headlights if needed". But the Premium Plus package says it comes with automatic "daytime running lights". So, this means that if I don't get the convenience package, just the running lights will come on automatically - the regular headlights will never come on at night by themselves without convenience package? :confused:

darkscout

Grammar Scout
TDI
2003 Golf
jkp1187 said:
We're thinking about ordering an A3 TDI and are getting a little bit confused by the descriptions. The Audi website says that the 'convenience package' comes with a light sensor that "automatically turns on the headlights if needed". But the Premium Plus package says it comes with automatic "daytime running lights". So, this means that if I don't get the convenience package, just the running lights will come on automatically - the regular headlights will never come on at night by themselves without convenience package? :confused:
DRLs have been mandated for a few years now. Your headlights are 'on' at a reduced power. Depending on what car you have now, you should have them already.

Turn your headlights on. All the lights that come on, will come on automatically with the convenience package.

jkp1187

Veteran Member
TDI
none yet
So what you're saying is that I *need* to have the convenience package for the headlights (and, I assume, interior dashboard lights,) to automatically come on at night? And if I don't get this, then I will need to turn the headlights on manually?

40X40

Experienced
TDI
2013 Passat SEL Premium
jkp1187 said:
So what you're saying is that I *need* to have the convenience package for the headlights (and, I assume, interior dashboard lights,) to automatically come on at night? And if I don't get this, then I will need to turn the headlights on manually?
NOPE
Standard=
The headlights are on all the time that the car is running AND the park brake is released. The dash lights and tail lights are OFF until you turn them on. (DRL)
Optional package:
Everything is automatic and controlled by a light sensor.
Bill
EDIT: I was wrong after all:eek: .... See below. EDIT

Last edited:

jkp1187

Veteran Member
TDI
none yet
40X40 said:
NOPE

Standard=
The headlights are on all the time that the car is running AND the park brake is released. The dash lights and tail lights are OFF until you turn them on. (DRL)

Optional package:

Everything is automatic and controlled by a light sensor.

Bill
Except DRL =/= headlights...they're the LEDs in the Xenon with the premium package, no?

Thanks, I got it now.

bmike

Thread Killer
TDI
1998 Jetta - sold, 2010 A3 - sold
Here is a picture of my A3 Premium Plus with xenon light package. DRL requirements must have changed as I can control when they are on or off. Unfortunately some form of dash lights are always on. Fogs come on by pulling switch out. I like being able to decide for myself. I like DRLs for safety sake, but if I'm running a few minutes late for work I like to be able to drive in as unnoticed as possible......

JackA3A4

TDI
2010 Audi A3 TDI
Mike is correct. As his photo shows, with the Premium Plus pkg, you control the lights -- "off", "DRL", "parking" and "on". The DRLs are the "eyebrow" LEDs. In the parking or on positions, you can also pull the knob for the fog lights.

Regarding the dash lights, if your headlights are not on, the dash lights get progressively dimmer as daylight disappears, as a reminder to turn your headlights on.

With the convenience pkg, I assume headlights and dashlighting is handled automatically.

DRLs are not mandated btw, at least not here.
Jack.

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
ex- 1996 wagon, ex-2000 Jetta
darkscout said:
DRLs have been mandated for a few years now. Your headlights are 'on' at a reduced power.
Dark, no, not in the United States. There is no mandatory DRL rule.

I don't know about the A3, but our A6 has an AUTO headlight position which you could leave the switch set to but it pops on the HID lights everytime the car is in the garage. The DRLs are user-switchable thru the car's MMC.

darkscout

Grammar Scout
TDI
2003 Golf
dieseldorf said:
Dark, no, not in the United States. There is no mandatory DRL rule.
I swore it went into law. You mean everyone has had these damn DRLs for the past 10+ years for 'my safety'.

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
ex- 1996 wagon, ex-2000 Jetta
darkscout said:
I swore it went into law. You mean everyone has had these damn DRLs for the past 10+ years for 'my safety'.
DS, this might be what you're thinking of:

US DOT rejects Daytime Running Lights

DEPARTMENT OF TRANSPORTATION

National Highway Traffic Safety

Administration

49 CFR Part 571

[Docket No. NHTSA–2001–8876]

Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard No. 108; Lamp, Reflective Devices and Associated Equipment

AGENCY: National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), DOT.

ACTION: Denial of petition for rulemaking.

SUMMARY: This document denies a petition for rulemaking submitted by General Motors on December 20, 2001. The petitioner requested that the agency amend the Federal motor vehicle safety standard (FMVSS) on lamps, reflective devices, and associated equipment to require the installation of daytime running lamps on passenger cars, multipurpose passenger vehicles, trucks, and buses that have a gross vehicle weight rating under 4,536 kilograms (10,000 lbs). NHTSA has reviewed the petition and performed an extensive analysis of real world crash data. Based on the results of our study we were unable to find solid evidence of an overall safety benefit associated with daytime running lamps and are therefore denying the petition for rulemaking. The agency maintains its neutral position with respect to the safety benefits from the use of daytime running lamps.
Source document: http://edocket.access.gpo.gov/2009/pdf/E9-15314.pdf