Quantity adjuster issues on AHU engine

panelbeaterpeter

TDI
'98 Mk3 golf AHU
Hi all, I recently had a rebuilt pump fitted to my Mk3 Golf fitted with the AHU engine. The seals were gone on the old pump and this was the simplest fix at the time.

Since the rebuilt pump was fitted I've been having running issues, my garage has said it's issues with the quantity adjuster on the new pump. I think upper or lower limit, or both.

It occasionally runs fine for a while, then starts chugging and has no power. Glow plug EML light flashing away.

The guy who rebuilt it has advised me to run it for 800km on premium diesel and it'll sort it out. I'm half way there and no significant change. He says if it's still there after this, he'll send a replacement adjuster.

Is he winding me up, or could this theoretically fix it?

It's quite hard to drive and going to take a while to do 800 kms!

I'm not averse to the idea of taking the top off, but being cautious because it's a new pump under warranty.

Cheers all :)

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
Geez. I do 800km in a week...

Either way sounds like an excuse. The qa housing is not going to be affected by the quality of diesel.

Dare I ask who "rebuilt" the pump?

panelbeaterpeter

TDI
'98 Mk3 golf AHU
It was rebuilt by a company in Germany. I'm in the UK, nowhere here could rebuild it on an exchange basis for the same money. The quality of the rebuild looks great externally and they companies communication etc has been spot on. I think it's just one guy though.

This is the pump/company

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
It was rebuilt by a company in Germany. I'm in the UK, nowhere here could rebuild it on an exchange basis for the same money. The quality of the rebuild looks great externally and they companies communication etc has been spot on. I think it's just one guy though.

This is the pump/company
It's clearly not working, it's warranted so have it sent back. If the shop that installed it hesitates or drags their feet have them drive the car and then tell you with a straight face that it's fine. I'm not buying the 'premium diesel' argument for 800kms....that's a load of bupkiss.

There's no reason that it shouldn't work out of the box....and you bought a rebuilt pump that sounds like it wasn't properly tested on a test bench.

My .02

Steve

KLXD

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'98, '2 Jettas
What Steve said.

One wonders if was rebuilt or just resealed. Prolly just seals and the OP got someone else's pump with a bad QA.

Pete, did you trade in your pump or buy this one outright?

panelbeaterpeter

TDI
'98 Mk3 golf AHU
What Steve said.

One wonders if was rebuilt or just resealed. Prolly just seals and the OP got someone else's pump with a bad QA.

Pete, did you trade in your pump or buy this one outright?
I bought this pump outright, but with a €100 deposit that I got back when I sent my pump back. Stupid really, as my old pump ran lovely, just leaked.

Abacus

That helpful B4 guy
TDI
Only the B4V left
I also agree with Steve, running it isn't going to magically fix it. I had a bad pump run like that, the owner got it from Prothe. Swapping it to a good high mileage spare (with new seals) fixed the issue.