Quality Pre-painted fenders?

300D

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk6
Anyone have any luck with the online pre-painted fenders? Which companies have people tried? My doglegs on both sides are pretty well perforated. I have done the clean-out and por-15 and paint and and, but really it's a losing battle. Rest of the car is actually pretty great considering coastal New England.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
I think it often depends on the color. Some are easier to match than others.

We sometimes get prepainted bumper covers here, they are usually decent but know that the aftermarket VAG fenders absolutely suck for fit and finish, and rust away quickly.

300D

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk6
I think it often depends on the color. Some are easier to match than others.
We sometimes get prepainted bumper covers here, they are usually decent but know that the aftermarket VAG fenders absolutely suck for fit and finish, and rust away quickly.
Good info. Thanks.

scurvy

Good Ol' Boy
TDI
2006 Golf
I'm almost to this point myself. Whose fenders have you been looking at, 300D?

Right now I'm considering going with preprimed fenders and painting myself with Monstaliner in "Outbreak" - a very close match to Indigo Blue. Also would paint the hood at the same time. It's aftermarket and even though only 5 years old has collected a tremendous amount of paint chips. Frankly I like the look of the Jeeps that have done bedliner paint on the exteriors, and Monstaliner seems to have formulated their paints well (they don't use ground up tires for texture).

But if prepainted fenders are out there and of decent quality, I may go that route in the spring instead.

KrashDH

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf
I'm almost to this point myself. Whose fenders have you been looking at, 300D?

Right now I'm considering going with preprimed fenders and painting myself with Monstaliner in "Outbreak" - a very close match to Indigo Blue. Also would paint the hood at the same time. It's aftermarket and even though only 5 years old has collected a tremendous amount of paint chips. Frankly I like the look of the Jeeps that have done bedliner paint on the exteriors, and Monstaliner seems to have formulated their paints well (they don't use ground up tires for texture).

But if prepainted fenders are out there and of decent quality, I may go that route in the spring instead.

My hood is at the point where it needs to be painted. A couple years ago I bough a DA buffer and went to town on the car thinking I was going to shine it up with some compound then wax. It looked so glossy when I was done with it!!

Unfortunately I must have buffed the last layer of the clearcoat off because the hood is oxidizing all over.

I think I am going to have the car painted. I'm looking into the Line-X Ultra line. It's made to paint entire vehicles and it's tough as nails.

Thinking about doing my truck at the same time. Never have to worry about rock chips, branches, or shotgun pellets again!

quartersaw

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta Wagon, '96 B4V,'99 2 door Golf
Anyone have any luck with the online pre-painted fenders? Which companies have people tried? My doglegs on both sides are pretty well perforated. I have done the clean-out and por-15 and paint and and, but really it's a losing battle. Rest of the car is actually pretty great considering coastal New England.
I would buy the genuine article. It's easy enough to get matching paint. Here is a link:
https://parts.vw.com/a/Volkswagen_2...51505_6006261/FENDER--COMPONENTS/9277170.html

quartersaw

Veteran Member
TDI
Don’t have a setup for a good paint job. I will cast about locally to see if I could install and someone else paint. OEMs aren’t even that pricey.
I bought OEM fenders for my 2002 Jetta wagon. I had the same problem as you do.
I bought a harbor freight paint gun, and used a crappy 50 buck compressor to do the job. I took a paint sample to an automotive paint store, and got a good match. 1/2 pint of paint, and a gallon of lacquer thinner did the job with paint to spare. If you eliminate the clear coat, the job will be WAY easier..(I clear coated my fenders) I would paint the fenders before installing them. You will eliminate a TON of labor.
I also painted the inside of the fenders as well. The factory primer alone, will not hold up against the moisture that gets back there.
..Can't beat brand new OEM metal! :)

Last edited:

Andyinchville1

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, 5 sp, 226K miles
May be the long game BUT if you are patient , you can locate factory original fenders (factory quality) in the same color aged to perfection (same year so no paint color / age matching) in a junk yard.

Over the years I put together an entire front clip for my other car in case of another deer strike .... ;-)

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Problem with prepainted fenders is they'll probably look like the color doesn't match unless you blend them into the surrounding panels. I've had the front clip on IBW re-painted twice, and the hood a third time (failed clear bra install). Dark blue is easier to match, silver is hard.

I had fenders replaced as part of the rust warranty 5 years ago. Factory fenders, and they're starting to rust. This spring I'm having them either repaired or replaced, depending on what the body shop says will last longest. Hoping this is the last time.

300D

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk6
Just as an added data point to this discussion, I looked up the OEM fenders online.

www.1stvwparts.com
www.expressoemparts.com

Both sites have them around $150 a fender. Wow, I thought, that's a nice price.

Then went to the shipping page. $450 and $550 for shipping. Good lord. Are they having someone individually drive it to your address? I don't think I have seen a shipping cost that high anywhere outside of a whole car.

coalminer16

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf 2004
If you take to the local body painter to see what a cash job is it may not be so bad. Black is the cheapest common color out there according to the guy who painted my golf. Otherwise he said cash $100 each front body part (bumper, fenders) other then hood would be $200. He did my fenders 100 each and a black gti for 450 was the rest of the donation parts. Ebay fenders primed for close to 50 each shipped.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

PickensSC

TDI
2002 Jetta, 2003 Jetta
I used two of these from Amazon. I know everyone hates Amazon and the quarter panel might be thinner, but $60 delivered is a great price.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07J31CGLZ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

You can also get Harpy rattle can matched paint and clear coat for $40.

I bought a sprayer, link below, that doesn't require an air compressor. It did a good job. I went to my local auto paint store and picked up the paint and clear coat.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0119LRYQG/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

quartersaw

Veteran Member
TDI
Just as an added data point to this discussion, I looked up the OEM fenders online.

www.1stvwparts.com
www.expressoemparts.com

Both sites have them around $150 a fender. Wow, I thought, that's a nice price.

Then went to the shipping page. $450 and $550 for shipping. Good lord. Are they having someone individually drive it to your address? I don't think I have seen a shipping cost that high anywhere outside of a whole car.
I paid $169.00 each for the pair of genuine VW fenders, delivered. I'd call a dealer, and see if they can match that $210 pricetag-minus shipping

Last edited:

Hwycruiser

TDI
I got a new primed front bumper cover off eBay from “newamauto” that was a good fit at a great price. I took it to my local body shop and had it painted. When I needed a front fender I shopped “car-part.com” to find a salvage car the same color as mine. It was easy to pull one off a donor car. The problem with the front end is that is where most of the damage occurs so it can be tough to find what you need. My car is black so its easy to match my color. There is a lot of vendors on eBay for the aftermarket, read their reviews.