Q7 repair frustration

oliolioxnfree

TDI
Q7
First off, I have to say thank you for this forum because I've learned so much from reading through the various threads. So onto venting my frustration, I apologize for the long narrative. :)

We purchased a repaired Dieselgate 2012 Q7 TDI with about 60k miles a year ago. Other than the rough ride due to the s-line wheels and lack of air suspension, we loved this car! We had ZERO issues with this car, no leaks, funky sounds, nothing! Back in June we were driving back from Northern California to Southern California, we were getting back on to the freeway from a pit stop for lunch when the car just lost acceleration. Luckily we were able to coast over to the emergency lane. CEL never came on, nothing, car just died. So stuck on the side of the freeway in the middle of California during the summer with four kids - it was a nightmare. We were able to get the vehicle towed to an Audi dealership towards the Bay Area and we rented a vehicle to continue on our journey 400 miles south.

So initially dealership changed the battery (mind you we railed through our battery while waiting two hours for a tow truck) but car still would not start. So Master Tech inspects the vehicle, finds out the HPFP failed and destroyed the fuel system. Fuel system is fixed but car is running rough. So back to looking into the issue and they realized metal fragments from fuel system got into the engine. Now we will need a new engine. New "engine" is installed and now there's a coolant leak (wasn't there before) and the CEL has decided to come on due to, what they determined to be, a faulty ECM.

In the past two months: no rental car has been provided; two canceled flights to fly up to pick up the vehicle only to find out last minute (literally standing at the airport when a phone call comes through) stating something else was wrong; the only repair order we've received is for a battery replacement and initial diagnostic so we don't have an itemized list of what's been replaced thus far- especially what constitutes the "engine" and fuel system; a single phone call received from someone at corporate apologizing for the delays and that they are covering repairs but not the battery replacement or providing a rental car; and now we wait have to wait another month for an ECM to come from Germany and hope that this is the last of the issues.

We contacted corporate today through the customer service line to file a grievance. They said they will look into it. Even the dealership seems to be over our car because it's been a PITA and at their shop for so long. Last week, they were like you can come fly up, pickup the car and drive it 400+ miles back with the CEL on and have a dealership local to us replace the ECM. To sum up our reaction and reply: "Umm, No! and ***!!!" That's even if the car would make it the 400 miles.

Coming from Range Rovers, we're fairly tolerant about car repairs but two to three months without a car?! And now it just seems every time something is replaced, a new issue pops up. At what point do you throw in the towel?

Anyone else experience a similar issue with one of these Dieselgate repaired vehicles? How was your outcome and any recommended advice?

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
First thing is, do you know about the Emissions Extended Warranty. If so, is it in effect for your car? If so you need to read and learn that thing inside and out. Anything covered by that, that needs service and they will have it more than a day I believe, will be provided a loaner car. Different warranties for different cars so check out what your car has.

oliolioxnfree

TDI
Q7
That's what I'm trying to figure out as well. From what the dealership told us, the repairs are being performed under warranty by Audi under the Emissions Extended Warranty. I'm trying to figure out if the warranty language is the same nationally or varies state-to-state as well as by brand and model.

Today when we talked to Audi customer service to file a complaint, the agent was surprised that we did not have a loaner and was going to look into why the dealership and the person that had reached to us from corporate the first time, did not arrange for one. This is kind of why I had to vent. The dealership has been cool so far, all of the repairs, minus the battery, are being covered by Audi, so we've been playing it cool. But now the gut feeling that something is amiss is starting to get stronger.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
If you already have a rental ask for reimbursement. Get a rental. After that let them do what they will. The documents are on line and can be found fairly easily. Post here if you can't find them. You need to have the documents in hand and see what they say for yourself. Then hold VW to what is specified. This is a nation wide thing so no differences as far as you are concerned. I would assume since they say it is covered that it is and you have some time/mileage left. I would read the docs to find out how much you have left exactly.

Syndicate

Veteran Member
TDI
14 Q7 TDI Sline, 09 335d
You are being screwed. They have to give you a car during the repairs, when its connected to the Emissions Settlement. (They could have been out of loaners at the exact moment, but you get the gist.)

Run your vin here: https://audidiesellookup.com/
Then follow the links for the settlement page, and print out the documents related to the first gen Q7's. Your best bet along with that would be contacting AOA (which it sounds like you did) and stating your case that all of the issues are or have qualified you for the Lemon Law (mulitple fuel issues, between services). Good Luck!

flargabarg

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Touareg Lux TDI
No lemon law on used cars in California. There are only six states where used cars can be subject to the lemon law. If you mention that you will look like an idiot.

KevinGary

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 A6 TDI
The Extended Emissions warranty has its own “Lemon Law” provisions that cover the first 18 months - 18,000 miles after the fix.

flargabarg

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Touareg Lux TDI
I just looked through the paperwork for my 2011 and saw no mention of that at all. Is it only for the Q7? It sounds like a nice provision to have.

flargabarg

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Touareg Lux TDI
I don't see any mention of the 18 month / 18,000 mile lemon warranty in that document. It's also not in the main extended emissions warranty booklet.

However I did find it on page 42 of the settlement! PDF here
There's a set of criteria and procedures. Sounds like OP might well have that on their side. So consider me corrected! A lemon law attorney might be a good idea in this circumstance, and it looks like the offer will be the same as the original buyback offer. That would mean OP made money on this repair!

KevinGary

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 A6 TDI
There have been several buy backs under the Lemon Law provision of the settlement. It is a huge windfall to the driver. The speculation is that is what caused Audi to come out with the second fix.