Q7 20" to 18" wheel swap help needed

Blue Chip

TDI
2010 Audi Q7 P+
I am new to the forum and will be getting my first Q7 (2010 TDI P+, buyback) this weekend. Needs tires. Came with with 20" , dual 5spoke, wheels. Ride is pretty firm and I don't need performance handling tires. I was thinking of getting a used set (from local salvage yard) of 18", 6 spoke, Q7 wheels from a 2015 standard (8" wide); and am thinking of new 245/60 tires, to get a better ride. I saw the post from Nayr (4/17/17 thread) that he put on a set of Porsche 17" wheels, but apparently had to grind down the calipers for the wheel to fit on his 2015 Q7. Would the 18s have have the same problem as the 17s regarding the caliper fit? Do you see any other issues? TPMs? I would appreciate your insights. Also, Input on quiet and durable (I live on a gravel road) M+S tires would be appreciated.

meooem22

TDI
2012 Q7 PP
I too found the 20" way to firm here in Los Angeles. I bought a set of 18" touareg wheels and had no issues. The rims came with 255/55/18 tires. Much nicer ride. No issues at all. This was on a 2012 Q7 TDI so basically same vehicle that you have. If anyone is interested I am selling the 20" OEM with newer tires. Just make sure you buy the right bolt pattern I think the Q7 changed around 2015.

Blue Chip

TDI
2010 Audi Q7 P+
Thanks for a quick response. Glad to hear your ride improved. Where might I find info on the bolt pattern change? Any issues with the tire pressure sensors?

Blue Chip

TDI
2010 Audi Q7 P+
Thanks meooem22. Looks like the bolt pattern on the 2015 model will work on my 2010. Still looking for any other answers on issues with the swap. Fitment over the calipers? tire pressure sensors? Recommended M&S tires? Thanks

mech644

Veteran Member
TDI
'00 Golf, '14 Touareg
I have a 2014 Touareg, it came with 20’s. Bolt pattern is 5 x 130.
I’ve purchased 2 sets of 18’s for it.
1st set came from a Q7, on which are Blizzaks that I run in the winter. I had hoped to find a set of 17’s but at the time was not able to find any that were not cosmetically totally trashed. Thus I can’t comment on rubbing on calipers.
Other set came from from a Cayenne and I run Continental all season for the balance of the year.
No fit issues with either wheels, and I much prefer the ride vs the 20’s.
car_part.com and I’ve no doubt you can find some wheels, may have to piece a complete together from more than one salvage yard but they can be found.

Blue Chip

TDI
2010 Audi Q7 P+
Thanks mech 644. I have just acquired a set of 18s (6 spoke) from a 2014 Q7. Looks like the center caps from the 20s might exchange, though I have not tried yet. What size tires did you put on your 18s? Looks like a 245/60 or a 235/65 would be good options. The 65s are about .8 tenths of an inch taller than the 20s. The 60s are just about the same height as the 20s, maybe a tad shorter. Any thoughts on if there might be any issues with calibrations for speed or other computer issues? Thanks

meooem22

TDI
2012 Q7 PP
I just bought new tires for my 18 inch rims. I went with the cooper discovery h/t plus. 255/55/18. Tires are quite. Little softer on cornering. Only issue is I lost 2mpg..hoping it will come back with wear. No issues with calibration. Just reset the MMI tire pressure setting when you get new tires. Going from the 20" to 18" made speedometer high by 2 MPH (using waze to see speed).