Q5 TDI Engine Code CPNB Build Thread

Pittdawg

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Audi Q5 TDI
Almost all of the build threads here originate out of Europe with a very few from Canada so I thought I would make a thread for the American version of the AUDI CR 3.0 TDI. As of right now, I have the following engine performance-oriented modifications:

1. APR Stage 1 ECU Tune;
2. DTUK TCU Flash;
3. AFE DryFlow Filter;
4. Magnaflow 3" Catback;
5. A5 BITDI OEM Intercooler; and
5. Darkside Custom high flow CP4.2 metering valve.

I recently sourced a GTB2260VZK from a 2012 A8 TDI and will have that ported and polished before installing it and retuning.

I am not interested in emissions deletes as I would encounter all sorts of issues with CARB here in California. I do have the newest version of the revised DPF installed a few months back and not only is it physically larger than the older versions but it certainly increased my exhaust note so I assume it flows at least a little better than the older versions.

It will take awhile before the turbo arrives from the UK and is ported and polished by the local turbo shop so stay tuned!

Pittdawg

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Audi Q5 TDI
I bought a used unit that has a bit of rust on it so I figured I might as well send it to a turbo rebuilding shop for a port, polish and rebuild as necessary.

Pittdawg

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Audi Q5 TDI
Hit a hiccup today. I had a mobile installer change out my speakers this morning and when he went to start up the vehicle the engine won't turnover. I scanned it for codes with my Torque app and a Powetrain error unknown along with a fuel pump relay circuit error were present. It's being towed to my indy mechanic now. I'm really hoping my HPFP did not just crap out on me :sick:

Pittdawg

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Audi Q5 TDI
We suspect it's the HPFP circuit relay module and not the pump itself. My mechanic is picking a new one up from the dealership today to swap them out. Keeping my fingers crossed.

TurboABA

Top Post Dawg
TDI
RIP-2010 Jetta 6spd 2014 Touareg Execline
Did you take any IAT logs before deciding that you needed to upgrade the IC?

Pittdawg

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Audi Q5 TDI
It's back up and running, thankfully. It was the fuel pump relay circuit module and not the pump itself.

Interestingly enough, the automatic start/stop feature has not worked for about a year or so and now works again. I wonder if that was a sign the module was beginning to fail?

TurboABA

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I'm having trouble following.... isn't the HPFP mechanically driven? Or are you confusing that with the transfer pump?

TurboABA

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Not HPFP related... Nor a diesel part# (according to my 10sec research)........ Oh well, at least your car is fixed.

Pittdawg

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Audi Q5 TDI
It controls the fuel pump on TDIs. The HPFP will not operate without it functioning. Did you want to add anything of value to this thread?

Pittdawg

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Audi Q5 TDI
I still have two soft codes persisting:

1. C100C13 - Electro-mechanical parking brake button Open circuit
Intermittent

2. C101414 - Function lamp in operating unit Open circuit/short circuit to ground
Intermittent

Pittdawg

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Audi Q5 TDI
Cleared the codes a few days ago and they have not come back. The engine seems to be running well so I will start data logging.

DieselDeeds

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Q5 TDI S-Line + Black Optics Package
Hey Pittdawg, did you notice anything with Darkside's CP4.2 metering valve? I'm still on the fence about installing mine.. my car is running great right now and I don't wanna piss off the German Auto Gods by tinkering with the fuel system to gain a negligible amount of power and receive a buttload of CELs.. if the power gain is substantial, then maybe.. let me know please :) ! Also - if we've already talked about this, forgive my bad memory and just copy + paste what you had previously said to me. Thanks!

Pittdawg

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Audi Q5 TDI
The only "downside" is on the newer NA model TDI's, the HPFP is located below/behind the turbo making installation of the metering valve a pain. With that said, the additional low-end torque is definitely noticeable, similar to taking it from stock to stage 1 tuning. I may have lost 1 or 2 mpgs but only when I'm getting on it.

Pittdawg

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Audi Q5 TDI
Yes, but no longer due to mechanical reasons, just CARB. Beginning July of this year, they now test for a non-factory ECU tune as part of "passing". I cannot use a factory tune at all on the 2260VZK. So that means I have a ported and polished one stored in my garage for now. Any takers?

I'm happy with where it's at and its probably the max I could modify from OEM equipment and still switch back occasionally to the OEM tune every 2 years for emissions testing.

Daemon64

Veteran Member
TDI
2022 Polestar 2 BEV - Current, 2021 Q5 55e PHEV - Retired, 2015 Q5 3.0 TDI - Retired, 2013 Golf TDI - Retired
Ahhh yeah I forgot that Cali was starting to do that. That sucks man, I'm sorry to hear that the EPA got ya even though you were trying to stay emissions legal... I remembered hearing about that but didn't think of it when replying to you on the subject.

Thanks for the update!