Q5 buying advice

add2700

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Golf GLS TDI
I want to get a Q5 TDI and looking for info on the potential pitfalls of these used vehicles. What should I watch out for? From what I've read there's potential oil leaks, anything else?

I'm looking at two vehicles. One is a 2015 with 107k miles for $19k. The Carfax shows pretty regular maintenance and oil changes *after 29k miles. It also shows the oil pan replacement which i assume is the common oil pan leak.
Another vehicle is 2015 $25.5k with 51k miles. Carfax also shows regular oil changes, but repeated headliner removal/repair. Whats up with that?

I would get either vehicle checked by a mechanic. But would it make more sense to take the higher mileage vehicle assuming some of the bigger problems have already been fixed, like the oil pan seal? This also assumes these vehicles would run for 250-300k miles easily.
Or get the lower mileage vehicle for all the supposed benefits that come with lower miles?

Jbwoo

TDI
15 GSW 06 Jetta BRM
Get the lower price one, service ALL of the fluids, including the transmission. Oil pan seal leaks are quite common, and it’s been addressed. I just purchased a 2015 with 72k and serviced all of it, personally, no issues.

The headliner removals are most likely related to sunroof leaks. Avoid that car.

joep1234

Veteran Member
TDI
former '04 Beetle TDI, now 2x '15 Audi Q5 TDI's, 2007 Dodge Ram 4x4 6.7
Or the sun shade that comes unglued from the tracks. You can replace it for around $300 if you do the labor your self or $1300 at the dealership. An option I chose was to have the sunroof glass tinted so as no to get blinded or a sunburn in the summer. The Lower mileage one still has the majority of the 10 year or 120K mile warranty for 3 more years. If there is an issue with the engine, it has to come out from under the car to be repaired. My son bought his wife a Q7 and they had to have the chains replaced and the tech set his tool box under the car to set the motor out and to repair it. My wife has one with 68k miles and mine has 107k miles.

Last edited:

add2700

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Golf GLS TDI
I found another 2015 Q5 with 80k miles and the mechanic said everything checked out, no leaks, so it's mine now. Thanks for the feedback here.

crashtested

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Q5 TDI Technik, 2014 GSW CL 6MT (RIP), 2004 Jetta GLS 5MT (sold), 2010 GSW HL 6MT (buy back)
Got hit this weekend and wrote off my 2014 Wagen :(

Just working out the details on a 2016 Q5 TDI Premium. 92k km, one owner and clean history - $29k CAN.

Daemon64

Veteran Member
TDI
2022 Polestar 2 BEV - Current, 2021 Q5 55e PHEV - Retired, 2015 Q5 3.0 TDI - Retired, 2013 Golf TDI - Retired
Single owner is nice.
I had a 2015 Q5 from 45k - 77k. Was real nice, changed all fluids and everything no real issues at all. The only issue was the damned sunroof would creek constantly, there was a TSB for it I think, but I never got it addressed and had to sell the car to buy my curren house during the pandemic. If I didn't have to sell it to buy the house I'd still 100% would have had it. Great vehicle for sure, very capable.

add2700

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Golf GLS TDI
I'm stoked driving my q5. The stereo is amazing and all the luxury features took some getting used to. Like when I signal to change lanes I get blasted by a yellow flash when there's a vehicle next to me. The acceleration is also fun. Cant wait for it to warm up so I can change all the fluids and get it washed and put ceramic on it.

crashtested

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Q5 TDI Technik, 2014 GSW CL 6MT (RIP), 2004 Jetta GLS 5MT (sold), 2010 GSW HL 6MT (buy back)
OMG - so happy with the purchase!

Single owner 2016 that didn't hit the road until June 2018 making it one of the last off the production line. Put on just over 1000km so far and I absolutely love it! I got 8L/100km over that distance climbing through 3 separate mountain passes from the coast to home.

Last edited:

whatnxt

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Q5 TDI Premium +
Sounds like you are pleased with your new ride. (y)(y)

After two years, for us, it is the best vehicle that we have driven. So much fun.

Chrismak

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Pasatt TDI , 2008 Mercdes E-320 Bluetec, 1983 300D mercedes (Sold :-(
Or the sun shade that comes unglued from the tracks. You can replace it for around $300 if you do the labor your self or $1300 at the dealership. An option I chose was to have the sunroof glass tinted so as no to get blinded or a sunburn in the summer. The Lower mileage one still has the majority of the 10 year or 120K mile warranty for 3 more years. If there is an issue with the engine, it has to come out from under the car to be repaired. .
J this has probably been discussed Adnauseam
but just to clarify above …
10 years from manufacture date or 120k miles is extended warranty?
I’ve been away from diesel Family for a few years and lured back in by Q7.
My last excursion was with 3.0 mercedes V6. Sold prior to oil cooler leak.
Looking at a 2014 with 107k miles .
The timing chain issue scares me and was considering the gas version but it suffers from same complaint .
Then again you hear of others having close to 200k and no issues .
Will see what the service log if any shows .

Chris

joep1234

Veteran Member
TDI
former '04 Beetle TDI, now 2x '15 Audi Q5 TDI's, 2007 Dodge Ram 4x4 6.7
10 year or 120K from first put in service or 4 year or 48k after the fix which ever benefits the owner. If you have trouble with the dealership you can write the courts in California where the lawsuit was originally filed and ask them to intervene. My son had to do that with his wife's Q7. The GM of the dealership contacted him and she said didn't know who he talked to but they cleared the air real fast. He got her car fixed after that.