Put $ down on my New 2015 Passat TDI at Dealer Today

MR SRX

TDI
05.5 Jetta BRM T 305k 2015 Passat TDI 9k
Found out That VW Dealers can start taking $ down on New 2015 TDI's with delivery anticipated to be in October. I'm sure they will not last long.:)

Last edited:

TDIFan1989

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Mk4 Jetta TDI (Black)
You said "New 2015 Model"? Are these the ones with the supposed new engines to address the emissions 'scandal'?

MR SRX

TDI
I just mean the New TDI's that have been on Hold since VW told them the could not sell them.
My local Dealer only had 1 Passat 3 Jettas and 3 Golfs they sold 2 other TDI's besides mine today. I'm sure the rest won't last long
Salesman said they were told just this AM they could start taking $ down on the TDI's today the final price will not be known until later he stated that VW would be offering a Substantial Rebate on them.

Last edited:

aja8888

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Out of TDI's
I just mean the New TDI's that have been on Hold since VW told them the could not sell them.
My local Dealer only had 1 Passat 3 Jettas and 3 Golfs they sold 2 other TDI's besides mine today. I'm sure the rest won't last long
Salesman said they were told just this AM they could start taking $ down on the TDI's today the final price will not be known until later he stated that VW would be offering a Substantial Rebate on them.
You are kidding, right? :eek:

MR SRX

TDI
Nope Just reporting the Facts. One of those kinda deals that come along and you just
HAVE TO JUMP ON IT!!
Dealer told us that No more TDI's would be sold in USA All the 2016 TDI's are at the Ports and are going to be sent back overseas

Last edited:

MR SRX

TDI
Buying a car without knowing what the price is??? ARE YOU NUTS???
(and post a sales order if you really bought NEW 2015 TDI from a dealer):rolleyes:
Only had to put $1000 down to hold the car. If I change my mind and not want it they will give the $1k back. And no I'm not Nuts they are saying could be a $5k or more rebate!!

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
2015 is last years model and the first year of the EA288 engine which I have heard already have some expen$ive reliability issues.

If you plan on trading it off before the warranty is up you might be O.K. When I see how badly the CR 2009-2014 owners have been shafted by VW's recent lousy engineering, I would be really hard pressed to jump on another VW sponsored engineering fail.

Really? To have poorly designed HPFP failures and VW tries to blame it on the owners miss fueling their cars? Really? Add to that the DPF failures and the sky high temp regens that destroy turbos. (CR 2009-2014)

Ah no. A wise decision? Not really. The possibility of owning a car that once out of warranty may cost thousands of dollars to remain emission compliant does not appeal to me.

Last edited:

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Found out That VW Dealers can start taking $ down on New 2015 TDI's with delivery anticipated to be in October. I'm sure they will not last long.:)
Me, too. Haven't put money down yet, but my dealer is looking for the car I want. (Jetta Sedan, manual, black or silver). He has a couple, but they may be S models, which I'm on the fence about. Other local dealers have lots of '15s and I should be able to find what I want.

News is that the car will get an ecu re-flash before delivery and an emissions repair a year later. I'm not concerned about either. I may be able to avoid the repair, and if not I can always have it reversed.

I don't know what VW's plans are for TDIs, and even if they do come back I am concerned that we may not see many, if any, more TDIs with manual transmissions. So I'm grabbing one now.

All my dealer told me is that the '15s will be sold at a "substantial" discount. I suspect it will be at least the $5K minimum restitution amount. That makes sense.

tdidieselbobny

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Galactic Blue Jetta TDI, '15 Silk Blue Golf Sportwagen TDI
I mentioned something along these lines to my salesman last Sat. when I went to look at a '16 Jetta(1.4 TSI) about dealer on ebay(Prestige) that had a bunch of new '15 TDI's listed for sale.He said they couldn't do that,but they could take deposits on them as he said possibly Oct.-Nov before delivery,that's if the fix is approved.

South Coast Guy

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta TDI wagon
2015 is last years model and the first year of the EA288 engine which I have heard already have some expen$ive reliability issues.

If you plan on trading it off before the warranty is up you might be O.K. When I see how badly the CR 2009-2014 owners have been shafted by VW's recent lousy engineering, I would be really hard pressed to jump on another VW sponsored engineering fail.

Really? To have poorly designed HPFP failures and VW tries to blame it on the owners miss fueling their cars? Really? Add to that the DPF failures and the sky high temp regens that destroy turbos. (CR 2009-2014)

Ah no. A wise decision? Not really. The possibility of owning a car that once out of warranty may cost thousands of dollars to remain emission compliant does not appeal to me.
HPFP problem affected <1% of cars. It appears that DPF failures are in the same range. Anyway, if I could buy a brand new 2015 for a significant discount, I would be buying.

aja8888

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Out of TDI's
Only had to put $1000 down to hold the car. If I change my mind and not want it they will give the $1k back. And no I'm not Nuts they are saying could be a $5k or more rebate!!
Well, that makes more sense then. It will be interesting to see what the "substantial rebate" will be given the cars are practically 2 years old when they become available and then the flood of "dealer fixed" TDI's that were turned in follow shortly thereafter. A two year old new car can be expected to depreciate 30 - 40% from new sales price. So if you can get say an SE Passat TDI for $20K or under, you have a fair price (not a great deal, though).

My gut feeling is that there will be a ton of 2012 - 2015 TDI's that will be turned in for the buyback and then VW will quickly fix them and put them out to market as used cars. Of course, the fixed ones probably won't hit until late this year and then follow into 2017. The three people I know that have 2013 - 2014 Passat TDI's (me and two friends) are all planning on turning them in for the buyback given the high value on these cars by the preliminary numbers put out on 6/28.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
If you plan to keep the car a long time what it's worth when you purchase really doesn't matter. A model year or two on a 15 year-old car is insignificant. If you want to trade it in 2-3 years it does matter.

I think there will be a lot of fixed '12 and later cars available. However, given what I'm reading here about how owners are treating them until turning them in, there are probably a lot that I wouldn't want.

bubbagumpshrimp

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 Jetta TDI
I'm curious to see what they end up going for. I wouldn't be surprised if they get so much interest that they just list them at MSRP and see what happens. With the amount of people out there with more money then sense...I could see that working. ex. Trade-in '12 Jetta, get $7k back on buyback, turn around and put that money down on a new one (giving the money right back to VW), and then pay full price (or close to it) for a two model year old car, lol.

aja8888

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Out of TDI's
If you plan to keep the car a long time what it's worth when you purchase really doesn't matter. A model year or two on a 15 year-old car is insignificant. If you want to trade it in 2-3 years it does matter.

I think there will be a lot of fixed '12 and later cars available. However, given what I'm reading here about how owners are treating them until turning them in, there are probably a lot that I wouldn't want.
Emphasis mine above - For sure, lots will be driven hard and put down wet, so to say.

But, I know of three locally that are going back to VW with less than 30K on them and they are in perfect shape. When VW will give you $4K more than you paid for it, turning it in with low miles gives you lots of options. For instance, mine is a 2014 Passat SE with 26K on it and according to the proposed buy out numbers, I will be getting $29,657 back. I paid just over $25K for it two years ago.

Now one can argue that I should keep it, but I want options at this time in my life. I just retired and we have a newer SUV and I also have a 2003 Jetta TDI. I really don't "need" the third car, whatever one it ends up being.

Bottom line is there will be good ones to choose from, and with the generous warranty, it could be a good deal for buyers.

Last edited:

MR SRX

TDI
I'm curious to see what they end up going for. I wouldn't be surprised if they get so much interest that they just list them at MSRP and see what happens. With the amount of people out there with more money then sense...I could see that working. ex. Trade-in '12 Jetta, get $7k back on buyback, turn around and put that money down on a new one (giving the money right back to VW), and then pay full price (or close to it) for a two model year old car, lol.
That's the good thing is it's ours for the $1k down but if the rebate isn't what we think it should be then we don't have to take it... But if they take a ton off the price just to get rid of them it could be a GR8 buy.

SilverGhost

Veteran Member
TDI
'05 Golf - totaled :(, wife's '13 Beetle - buy back, TDIless
What I have heard is the '15s will have software now, but will require $9K in hardware later. Not 100% but I believe the main issue is with the SCR system verifying the DEF fluid quality and SCR catalyst is actually working. VW is thought to be incentivising dealers to sell them to employees or put them into loaner fleets so they have higher likely hood of coming back for the repair.

Our GM just got back from dealer meeting about TDI process. VW hasn't asked about certifying the '16s sitting at port, but implication was they wanted to get '15s and older fixes approved so EPA/CARB would be more willing on allow '16s.

Also no TDI in '17, but the dealers were told by VW that there would be '18s. Of course these are not going to be economy cars anymore. It is simply too expensive to make them emissions compliant at that price point. Whether this means only Touaregs and/or SEL Premium cars to absorb the cost we don't know yet.

But they did say BEV (Battery Electric Vehicles) have come down in cost enough to fit into the model line up. Where and how they will fit I don't know. They did promise more than 30 models very soon. The way it was presented the BEV cost has come down enough and TDI cost has gone up enough to make BEVs more economically viable choice going forward.

I'm waiting to see what incentives come down the line because that will decide what we do with our Beetle.

Jason

MR SRX

TDI
What I have heard is the '15s will have software now, but will require $9K in hardware later. Not 100% but I believe the main issue is with the SCR system verifying the DEF fluid quality and SCR catalyst is actually working. VW is thought to be incentivising dealers to sell them to employees or put them into loaner fleets so they have higher likely hood of coming back for the repair.

Our GM just got back from dealer meeting about TDI process. VW hasn't asked about certifying the '16s sitting at port, but implication was they wanted to get '15s and older fixes approved so EPA/CARB would be more willing on allow '16s.

Also no TDI in '17, but the dealers were told by VW that there would be '18s. Of course these are not going to be economy cars anymore. It is simply too expensive to make them emissions compliant at that price point. Whether this means only Touaregs and/or SEL Premium cars to absorb the cost we don't know yet.

But they did say BEV (Battery Electric Vehicles) have come down in cost enough to fit into the model line up. Where and how they will fit I don't know. They did promise more than 30 models very soon. The way it was presented the BEV cost has come down enough and TDI cost has gone up enough to make BEVs more economically viable choice going forward.

I'm waiting to see what incentives come down the line because that will decide what we do with our Beetle.

Jason

Thanks for the update!

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
I think your GM got some stuff wrong. What I was told was that the repair for the '15s is booked for 9 hours, not $9K. And they are not going to certify the '16s. No decision yet on '17s, not definite that they'll skip the year. The '17s still show TBD on the VW price sheet.

jasonTDI

TDI GURU Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
20' RAM 3500 CCLB dually HO/Aisan. 2019 Cherokee 2.0T
Buying a car without knowing what the price is??? ARE YOU NUTS???
(and post a sales order if you really bought NEW 2015 TDI from a dealer):rolleyes:
Maybe you should know the facts before exploding.

They are DEPOSITS with right of refusal if you don't like the price.

You want a sales order? I can post two from the same dealer. THEY AREN'T SOLD YET UNTIL THEY FLASH THEM. How do I know this? General manager is a friend and was just at another of SEVERAL VW national meetings.

So don't get all hot and bothered until you know the facts.

jasonTDI

TDI GURU Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
20' RAM 3500 CCLB dually HO/Aisan. 2019 Cherokee 2.0T
I think your GM got some stuff wrong. What I was told was that the repair for the '15s is booked for 9 hours, not $9K. And they are not going to certify the '16s. No decision yet on '17s, not definite that they'll skip the year. The '17s still show TBD on the VW price sheet.

15's will be sold with a flash and then have until end of 18' to finish the fix. 16's sent back, no 17's are coming.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
That's what I was told, Jason, except no definite word on the '17s. Seems none coming is likely, however. If I can get a '15 for usual dealer discount (about $2K on a Jetta) along with a $5K price break (similar to restitution) I'd be happy.

tango_28

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 JSW(sold 2011) , 2009 JSW RIP 1-5-2013, 2011 JSW
I wonder how hard would be to flash back to original tune? Thinking about getting a 2015.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
Get a tuner to re-flash it to something better than the original tune. Just remember you may have to have it tuned again after the second stage of the fix.

tango_28

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 JSW(sold 2011) , 2009 JSW RIP 1-5-2013, 2011 JSW
Can I skip the second stage fix? We don't having emission testing here in Mn. They figure the cold weather take care those cars that are running like crap. Also I haven't taken my TDIs to a dealer since 2004. BTW I will be paying cash for this car.

Last edited:

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
I'm betting registration renewal will be dependent on having the fix done. What the state does and don't measure is irrelevant.