Purchasing another tdi

bowelder

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 VW golf TDI with tech package
I really want another TDI. I currently have a 2000 Golf with 330,000 and 2002 Beetle with 295,000 miles. They've been so good, I'm out of the loop on the newer stuff.

I'd like any opinions or info on purchasing something newer. I want something between 2010-2014 with much lower miles. Both of my cars are manuals and I'd like another but wouldn't object to a reliable automatic either.

I' thinking Golf or Jetta sportwagen!

Please give me tranny types, pros and cons etc!

Thank you

crazyrunner33

Veteran Member
TDI
'10 Golf(bought back)
If you're in it for the long haul (which it seems like you are) I recommend the CJAA in the 2010-2014 Golf and Golf Sportwagen. They can be had again now that there's a fix for them. They're easier to maintain and work on than the newer engines. Plus the emission system has a long warranty after the fix. Being in SC, you get away with deleting down the road if you run into emission system issue.

KITEWAGON

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Touareg Exec, 2014 JSW
the 2010-2014 were the recalls for dieselgate, get a 2015 with a good warranty.

Huh? They were all recalled. They all have good warranties.

The 2015's have an extra 1 year and about 40k miles on the extended emissions warranty I believe.

In terms of which car is preferable....I don't know. I opted for the 2014, but that's partly because I wanted a manual and they were much easier for me to find for the JSW than the GSW. The GSW's get somewhat better mileage so that might be a consideration. But they do use urea injection to get that improved mileage so that could be a consideration as well.

SKI-R

TDI
'03 Jetta GLS TDI, '02 Golf TDI
More please, I'm in essentially the same position....looking for something diesel 2010+ ��

crazyrunner33

Veteran Member
TDI
'10 Golf(bought back)
More please, I'm in essentially the same position....looking for something diesel 2010+ ��
The extended warranty may be different for you in Canada.

Ask yourself this, are you concerned about emissions, emissions testing, remaining emission legal for a long period of time? The 2015(gen 3) and newer might be better for you.

Are you concerned about trying to drive the vehicle into the dirt for the next ten years or more? Are you okay with possibly having to delete or repair an expensive emission system in 10 years? Then the 2010-2014(gen 1) may be for you.

More likely than not, either emission system will last up to 10 years. The newer ones will probably use less EGR than the older ones thanks to a better NOx after treatment system, which means longer DPF life, fewer regens, and slightly better fuel economy. However, the system is extremely expensive to fix if you are one of the very few unlucky ones. And the engine itself is a bit more difficult to service and repair than the older CJAA gen 1 engines. The CJAA may fill the DPF with ash quicker than the gen 3 engine, but you should still be able to see 200k before an issue.

There's plenty of information to look up in order to help your decision, and I haven't even touched up on the gen 2 TDI. Personally, I would go back to a CJAA out of the other ones just because of the engine being less complex.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Everyone has their own opinion, but having owned a MKV Sedan ('06) and VI Golf ('12), and now a '15 Golf Sportwagen, I like the MKVII platform and drivetrain in the '15 much better than the earlier cars. And with, in my case, an 11 year 162K mile emissions system warranty, I don't have a lot to worry about.

However, and it's a big however, if you put a gun to my head and said I could only keep one car, I'd be hard pressed to give up my '02 Jetta Wagon, despite it having 366K on it. It's still my daily. And when I take a road trip I have to talk myself into driving the newer car. I'm not always successful. MKIV ALHs are one of a breed. I'm not sure anything will quite measure up.

SKI-R

TDI
'03 Jetta GLS TDI, '02 Golf TDI
A bit surprised at the reserved appreciation for the refinement in the Mk6/7 models. Our Mk4 is great, but I would've thought 6-10 years of development would've produced a magnitude of change in the new(er) cars (despite dieselgate).

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Perhaps refinement isn't high on the list of priorities for diesel enthusiasts. It certainly isn't high on my list. I've almost always driven small cars that let you know what they were doing mechanically. I enjoy that. The newer cars provide much less of that. While it may be more appealing to some, maybe not to those who really like diesels. I'd much rather listen to my '93 Mercedes idle than my BMW 335d.

dubStrom

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 A4 Jetta (sold), 2010 JSW (sold), 2013 Passat 6MT traded for 2014 JSW with 6MT-TOTALED in November 2016, 2003 ALH 5MT conversion (sold), wheezing 2015 GSW/DSG and a new 2021 Tacoma Access Cab 4x4 p'up
I really liked the tail end of CJAA (year 2014). They got beefier HPFP and the assembly line in Puebla was running smoothly. Kinks worked out on that model. I would have never sold my 2014 Sportwagen SE if it weren't destroyed by a reckless E350 driver. It was a manual. I could not find a new fixed 2015 in manual around here. But I do like the DSG with paddles. I ended up with pano and the high end speakers. It is a very comfortable ride.

dubStrom

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 A4 Jetta (sold), 2010 JSW (sold), 2013 Passat 6MT traded for 2014 JSW with 6MT-TOTALED in November 2016, 2003 ALH 5MT conversion (sold), wheezing 2015 GSW/DSG and a new 2021 Tacoma Access Cab 4x4 p'up
With all that being said, I’d much rather listen to an air cooled beetle idle.
My 68 had a sealed 40 inch 4into1 extractor with a horizontal baffle. Now THAT was a nice sound. And I had a stinger to switch out for those days when I felt like hearing the true howling pitch of a sweet balanced and tuned boxer four. Put a moderate load on it accelerating through an underpass and shift. It really sounded like an Indy car-no close ratio
tranny thing goin' on though, bwaaa! Still Fun!

I always wanted to donate a pair of good silencer tubes to the owners of stock exhaust that whistled. They chirped while tooling down the road.:D

Last edited: