Purchasing a used TDI Touareg

Canuck07

TDI
2006 Jetta Wagon TDI, 2011 Jetta Highline TDI, 2012 Passat Highline TDI, 2015 Golf Comfortline, 2015 Jetta Comfortline
Hello Touareg Owners,
I am in the market for a mid to large size SUV and would like something diesel. I am looking at the X5, GL350 and Touareg. In the past we've had quite a few VW TDI's and we have a good comfort level with the VW 1.9 and 2.0 TDI product.
I am not familiar with the Touareg 3.0 TDI and I'm looking for some insight into long term reliability. Im looking in the 2012-2015 range. Are there some common issues to look out for? I've had issues with the cars DSG transmission and the rattling flywheel, is this an issue with the Touareg as well? How is the suspension and drive train? We have a Toyota Sequoia Platinum right and have had issues with the air suspension, how is the Touareg adjustable suspension for reliability?
Any feedback is much appreciated!

Last edited:

showdown 42

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 TDI touareg
I don't know about Canada,but no air suspension in US from 2011 to present. I have had 2 Touaregs 2012 AND NOW 2016. I have nothing but great things to say about the 3.0 diesel engine no issues over the 2 cars. 1st one was traded in due to the scandal after 6yrs and 70K miles. 2016 now has 16K miles with the same good experience. They are a power house for towing and great mileage for a big vehicle.

Savageman69

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2012 Highline Touareg TDI
no air suspension in the t3 in canada..the trans is not a dsg, it is a old fashion trans..a aisin high torque 8spd and its very smooth and strong....the 3.0 tdi in my opinion is one of the best tdis made. Had mne 6 years and i love it every time i drive it.

Not many suvs are a smooth, quiet and as good on fuel...tows like a boss and the awd is amazing. Ive had a 2017 grand Cherokee for a few months when i hit a deer and all i wanted was my touareg back...the quality and refinement is threw the roof.

Canuck07

TDI
2006 Jetta Wagon TDI, 2011 Jetta Highline TDI, 2012 Passat Highline TDI, 2015 Golf Comfortline, 2015 Jetta Comfortline
Thanks for the feedback guys. I worked at a VW dealer in the service department in 2002-2003 and remember the Tourages having an air suspension and 3 settings which would raise and lower the height, I see the newer Touareg 2018 has an air suspension as well. All the one's I've looked at so far have some sort of suspension adjustment on them. Do your models have an electronic adjustment? When you turn the nob (in front of the cup holder and behind the shifter) does it just stiffen and soften the ride electronically or does the height change with these settings. Sorry, I can't find much info online about it.

Savageman69

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2012 Highline Touareg TDI
Thanks for the feedback guys. I worked at a VW dealer in the service department in 2002-2003 and remember the Tourages having an air suspension and 3 settings which would raise and lower the height, I see the newer Touareg 2018 has an air suspension as well. All the one's I've looked at so far have some sort of suspension adjustment on them. Do your models have an electronic adjustment? When you turn the nob (in front of the cup holder and behind the shifter) does it just stiffen and soften the ride electronically or does the height change with these settings. Sorry, I can't find much info online about it.
no air suspension possible in north America 2011 to 2017...fixed rate springs no adjustments at all...2018+ are not sold in north america

PRY4SNO

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Touareg Execline
all have increased it aside from lift and tires
Makes sense. How many KMs do you get per tank now, mostly highway?

Did you go up in stages before the hybrid 2260? If so, what kind of mileage did you get at that point compared to stock?

Gilty_one

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Touareg Execline 3.0 V6 TDI; 2012 Jetta Highline TDI
Hello Touareg Owners,
I am in the market for a mid to large size SUV and would like something diesel. I am looking at the X5, GL350 and Touareg. In the past we've had quite a few VW TDI's and we have a good comfort level with the VW 1.9 and 2.0 TDI product.
I am not familiar with the Touareg 3.0 TDI and I'm looking for some insight into long term reliability. Im looking in the 2012-2015 range. Are there some common issues to look out for? I've had issues with the cars DSG transmission and the rattling flywheel, is this an issue with the Touareg as well? How is the suspension and drive train? We have a Toyota Sequoia Platinum right and have had issues with the air suspension, how is the Touareg adjustable suspension for reliability?
Any feedback is much appreciated!
I pretty sure the 2012-2016 don't have DSG and no dual mass flywheel. My 2016 has a 8 speed AISIN transmission and that pulls wonderfully.