Purchased a '15 Passat TSI SE Tonight

Dcwhybrew

TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE
Well, I hate to sell back my '13 Passat TDI SE but I decided too. It was a very hard decision. I love the fuel mileage and range. I drive at least 164 miles per days, Monday - Friday. However my TDI had 126k miles, needed the heater core replaced (which I missed the extended warranty :mad:) and the timing belt/water pump replacement is due this month too. Plus the clear coat on the front bumper is peeling off and passenger mirror cover falls off due to broken tabs. So that was >$3k in repairs.

I bought the '15 Passat TSI SE with 26k miles for $1300 more than my buy back. I know the keep and fix settlement would have reimbursed me for my repairs, however that keep and fix settlement likely wont come out until May, if the repair is approved. Meanwhile my 5,000 miles per month decreases the value of the keep and fix settlement, as well as the buy back requirement if the fix isn't approved.

So I bit the bullet and bought the TSI. Interestingly, I was able to get the identical car - same exterior color, same features (except TSI has back up camera and no auto dimming rear view mirror vs TDI no back up camera and it does have the auto dimming mirror). Also the TSI has the beige interior vs the TDI's black interior.

I hope the TSI will be cheaper to own maintenance and repair wise. Time will tell.

Rico567

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium (Turned in 7/7/18)
Wow. At 5,000 miles / month you're in a whole different category from most of us. Lots more repair & maintenance in a year, no matter what you're driving.....

jrm

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SE with nav (totaled)
that's Honda territory, iv seen several 98-2000 Honda's exceed 200k with only oil changes every 10k

Dcwhybrew

TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE
I probably should have bought a Honda. I was considering it. I just liked the size of the Passat more. I drove my TSI to Nashville and already miss the TDI. I used to make the trip on one tank of fuel with fuel to spare. Not anymore ? I didn't come close to the 36 MPGs the TSI is rated for. 33 mpg at 75 mph was the bet I could do. Oh well. LOL