Pulley questions

gtr1990

TDI
2001 tdi toyota pickup
I am trying to complete my swap on my Toyota pickup but I need to know a few answers regarding modifying pulleys.

In this picture I have drawn a representation of where I would like to put my Toyota V-belt style power steering pump. I am obviously making a custom mount for the pump but can I send out my VW crank pulley and a Toyota 3.0 crank pulley(perfect fit diameter wise) to get the VW pulley drilled, tapped and threaded to accommodate the 3.0 pulley? Will this mess up any balancing issues?

Last edited:

vwmikel

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
'94 Golf Sport TDI
I have my doubts that it would affect the balance all that much because it would all be close to the center. The further the weight is from the center, the more critical it becomes.

But, what about using a pulley from a MK3 or something? Those had v-belt grooves on them for the power steering/water pump.

vwmikel

TDI
'94 Golf Sport TDI
gtr1990 said:
Part# 028 105 243T sound right? No picture on my World Pac listing
I just found this picture:

I think that is a seperate bolt on pulley which might even work with the mk4 harmonic balancer. I wonder if I have anything like that.....

gtr1990

TDI
2001 tdi toyota pickup
My current pulley is deeper and has longer bolts with shims. do you think it would hold up or would I have to buy a new crank pulley and bolt on the Power steering pulley on to that.

vwmikel

TDI
'94 Golf Sport TDI
gtr1990 said:
My current pulley is deeper and has longer bolts with shims. do you think it would hold up or would I have to buy a new crank pulley and bolt on the Power steering pulley on to that.
Do you have an up-close picture of your current pulley?

MrDave

Veteran Member
On the mk3/A3 4-cyl cars, VW used a mixed pulley system.
Serpentine for accessories, V-belt for the water-pump.

Some used a V-belt for the power steering, and serp for other accessories, like the G-60/PG engine.

If you're lucky, the mk3 v-belt pulley will fit your TDI crank serp. pulley.

Your best bet is find a wrecker and go browsing, but if you want to buy new:

037 105 253 from a 90 Corrado G60
037 105 253 D from a mk3 gas
028 105 253 A from a mk3 TD

I'm not sure what will fit, if any of them, but it's worth investigating.
(image stolen from www.worldimpex.com)

-Dave

INA

TDI
2.5 TDI
Everyone here that is suggesting anything from a AAZ , AFN or 1Z needs to realize that he is running what looks like an ALH motor which means no go.

What are you trying to do and what are you willing to give up?
if you are looking to keep AC then there is a bracket that will allow you to offset the Power steering parallel to the AC compressor.

If you are looking to delete AC then this is a kit I built a few years ago for a VW 1.8T turbo gas engine and it will fit right under the ALH fuel pump.Will allow you to lower the P/S pump and still use your alternator

p.s. You need am Audi A4 B6 or B7 oil pan

vwmikel

TDI
'94 Golf Sport TDI
INA said:
Everyone here that is suggesting anything from a AAZ , AFN or 1Z needs to realize that he is running what looks like an ALH motor which means no go.
I was thinking that perhaps he could use the outer V-belt pulley on the stock ALH harmonic balancer.

INA

TDI
2.5 TDI
vwmikel said:
I was thinking that perhaps he could use the outer V-belt pulley on the stock ALH harmonic balancer.
Wouldnt work and even if it did there would be no way to tension the v-belt considering how complex the MKIV power steering pump is allready.
Best way to about it would be to have all the pulleys on the serpentine belt.

vwmikel

TDI
'94 Golf Sport TDI
INA said:
Wouldnt work and even if it did there would be no way to tension the v-belt considering how complex the MKIV power steering pump is allready.
Best way to about it would be to have all the pulleys on the serpentine belt.
I assumed he was going to use a custom bracket so he could also incorporate a tensioner.

gtr1990

TDI
2001 tdi toyota pickup
I do plan on making a custom P/S pump bracket to mount the Toyota pump on the passengers side of the engine. I am doing this because I have no room for anything on the drivers side. I would like to use the serpentine belt for this but need to maintain adequate wrap on the crank pulley. As far as tensioner goes this will be built into the mount for the pump itself. I am eliminating the A/C and running a short belt (906?) and using a second idler pulley to take up the slack. Unless you know of a shorter belt than this one.

So in the end the v-belt with a second pulley on the crank is the only option.

INA

TDI
2.5 TDI
gtr1990 said:
I am eliminating the A/C and running a short belt (906?) and using a second idler pulley to take up the slack. Unless you know of a shorter belt than this one.

So in the end the v-belt with a second pulley on the crank is the only option.
If you are eliminating AC then do not reinvent the wheel...just run a different bracket that mounts the power steering where the ac compressor pulley was.

jrcstudios

TDI
1982 Rabbit Pickup 1Z TDI
Is a power steering pump a power steering pump?

If so, I could easily be talked out of mine from a 1Z and its bracket...

--JRC

gtr1990

TDI
2001 tdi toyota pickup
PS pump MUST go on passengers side

This leads me to my next question that INA has already started to address. I need a oil pan with the most clearance possible on front of the engine to help clear my diff. A4 B6-B7 pan is the solution? got a part number I can search because my parts suppliers only has gas version pans. Are the they interchangeable?

INA

TDI
2.5 TDI
gtr1990 said:
PS pump MUST go on passengers side

This leads me to my next question that INA has already started to address. I need a oil pan with the most clearance possible on front of the engine to help clear my diff. A4 B6-B7 pan is the solution? got a part number I can search because my parts suppliers only has gas version pans. Are the they interchangeable?
Yes they are interchangeable

If the PS pump must go on the passenger side then you can try sourcing a Brazilian PS pump bracket as it relocated the power steering to the passenger side of the engine bay
other than that you have to build a bracket :(

gtr1990

TDI
2001 tdi toyota pickup
So I ended up drilling and tapping the TDI pulley to accept the Toyota's v-belt pulley. Seems like it should do the trick.

For the alternator I used a 6pk730 belt, should have used a 736 but this one should be ok

Last edited:

gtr1990

TDI
2001 tdi toyota pickup
But back to the oil pan issue. I ordered one for a AAZ to see if it fit but not even close.

So is there a steel option out there that I can modify for diff clearance?
This drive train will inevitably end up in a custom chassis Toyota pickup soon so a steel pan leaves room for improvement with most clearance issues.

side note: my adapter plate does not use oil pan mounting like the VW bellhousing.

Last edited:

vwmikel

TDI
'94 Golf Sport TDI
Ben, the ALH uses a later block with an internal water pump and everything. The AAZ uses an older block design with an external water pump and whatnot. You might have a look at transverse 1.8t pans. IIRC, most of them are aluminum but maybe they can help in some way.

gtr1990

TDI
2001 tdi toyota pickup
Ok makes sense now. I was just trying to cheap out. A AWM pan looks like the one? I can get a used one for a reasonable cost.

gtr1990

TDI
2001 tdi toyota pickup
F@#$% so $175 later and the AWM pan is NOT the one. I have gone through allot of money trying to find a pan that will work. Someone must have a definitive answer to this??????????????//

INA

TDI
2.5 TDI
INA said:
p.s. You need am Audi A4 B6 or B7 oil pan
I guess you didnt see that part?
gtr1990 said:
F@#$% so $175 later and the AWM pan is NOT the one.
How is the AWM not the one? You sure it was not an AEB oil pan?

AWM = B5 Longitudinal motor....you need the longitudinal oil pump pick up tube as well.What is hitting if anything?

And no there is no readily available STEEL Longitudinal internal water pump oil pan on the market.They are all transverse...

gtr1990

TDI
2001 tdi toyota pickup
Damn, my bad thanks for the quick reply.

I think I will just use the stock ALH and try and work around it. Anyone ever heard of anyone welding this cast aluminum in case I have to modify it?

Last edited:

INA

TDI
2.5 TDI
gtr1990 said:
Anyone ever heard of anyone welding this cast aluminum in case I have to modify it?
It is sand cast...extremely difficult to get right without leaking....

you can try welding it but be in for a surprise.