PT-TDI?

Peter Cheuk

Gasser :P
TDI
'06 Jetta GLI
Yeah, but isn't the PT Cruiser based on the Dodge Neon? I'd be scared of it just because of this little fact.

Now, if only VW would put the TDI motor into the Golf Variant, give it 4Motion, raise it up 4-5 inches and give that Subaru Outback some competition, I would be very interested.

Or, maybe a Cabrio with the same setup...

BeetleGo

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
5-door, 5-speed Golf GLS replaced BeetleGo.
I just got back from spending a couple of weeks in Germany, where the PT Cruizer is enthusiastically anticipated. The car magazines indicate that the Mercedes TDI is due to be included in their line-up.

If only they'd offer it over here! I've got an NB-TDI, and while I like it very much, the PT is definitely a more useful package. If it came with a Mercedes Engine, I'd have to have one.

Now if only VW would put the Bully into production with the 150hp v5 TDI...

PS: BMW330D is a 315hp TDI for the 3 series. It smokes!!! <And yet it doesn't!> Zoom!

BeetleGo

TDI
Peter, I'd agree with you on your selection, but I wouldn't worry too much about the PT being 'based on the Neon' - the 2000 platform is surprisingly better than the original, which wasn't aweful, just not as good as VW. The 2000 platform is much more rigid and generally sorted out.

My biggest concern with the PT is that after owning the NB, everything else feels too close to my face from the driver's seat! The dash looks awefully high as well.

The more TDI's on the market, the better, I say.

BeetleGo

TDI
Oh yeah, the PT is only 10% Neon-based anyway. Not exactly a clone.

cars wanted

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf GLS-TDI, 2000, white/beige
Yeah, what a shame! Even "American" car makers are spurning us TDI heads! (Oops! Or is Chrymler a German company now?) The Europeans get the Cruizer mit Mercedes TDI, I bet we get NO diesel option here.

BeetleGo

TDI
Check out the article posted by SkyPup on diesels. The first place we'll likely see more TDI's in this country is in the heavier Ute class. Since Chrysler has access to possibly the BEST TDI engine on the market (I know, hereacy to say this here, but hey, I'm not KNOCKING the VW version), sticking into something interesting like the PT is a-okay by me.

Aren't we past what country a car is from? Yours is Mexican, remember.

I have no problem with VW and Daimler sourcing TDI engines to Toyota, Chryler, and whoever else has the good sense to use this technology. I really like my Beetle, but the company has some pretty lousy dealerships. If the PT comes off the line with the same level of assembly as the current crop of LH sedans, which is high and clearly comparable with VW, then I'd be tempted. The VW dealerships I've dealt with so far have been miserably inept. Chryler is spending a lot of money with their 5-star program, which says to me they've figured out what's becoming really important to consumers - the ownership experience - as quality pretty much equalizes worldwide in the next decade, this is going to either make or break VW.

Hey, if Lexus could build something I actually wanted with a TDI stuck under the hood, I'd HAVE to buy it because you simply can't get a more competent service experience out there.

I am now stepping off my soapbox....

------------------
BeetleGo, bye-bye